Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Front wing / windscreen scuttle gap
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
dt4
How are things over the pond?
I have been working from home since last Tuesday having found out a guy I sit close by to was taken ill on Wednesday night

Had a weekend on the 914 and a thought came to me!
Is there anything supposed to fill the gap between wing and scuttle panel or is it "open"?
Click to view attachment
mepstein
It gets a "T" shaped rubber seal.
Installed after paint.
injunmort
there is a rubber molding that fits into the gap
dt4
@mepstein
@injunmort

thank you, that makes sense, it looks very unfinished without anything in there, I will make sure it remains clear of paint so the moulding fits
dt4
next question smile.gif
any body got...………..?
dr914@autoatlanta.com
we call them fender dividers, factory first welded the joint on the prototypes, but decided for future repair would be best to leave a gap for easier fender removal without hurting the cowl.

By the way, you will have to replace those windshield clips if you even hope to have the anodized molding clip back in. Sad but true, you will have to remove the windshield
mepstein
QUOTE(dt4 @ Mar 23 2020, 09:43 AM) *

@mepstein
@injunmort

thank you, that makes sense, it looks very unfinished without anything in there, I will make sure it remains clear of paint so the moulding fits

The gap must be painted. I would get a seal and check fit. 914rubber, etc carry them for a couple dollars.
FlacaProductions
https://900designs-container.zoeysite.com/f...-to-cowl-seal-1
dt4
QUOTE(mepstein @ Mar 23 2020, 02:06 PM) *

QUOTE(dt4 @ Mar 23 2020, 09:43 AM) *

@mepstein
@injunmort

The gap must be painted. I would get a seal and check fit. 914rubber, etc carry them for a couple dollars.

I meant not clogged / filled with paint, now I know there is a moulding I will get the pair to check for fit
cheers
dt4
£10 each in the UK
https://www.design911.co.uk/fu/prod138744/P...mp;utm_content=

Dick Turpin is alive and well (look him up smile.gif )

How does than compare to US prices
mepstein
$4 each. It’s fine to use used if you can find them. It’s more of a trim piece than a seal that keeps water out.
dt4
I'll check in with stateside suppliers, I would sooner spend £20 with Mark or George than the thieving fu%&ers over here
mepstein
And like George said, put a windshield kit on your list. I think it’s about 19 clips and 2 spacers.
Mark Henry
I don't have the seals, IMHO they are a dirt and moisture trap.
Just pulled the seals on the wife's 914, (6 yr/old resto by PO) I'm correct on the dirt trap part.
I'm going to wrap the wife's car, I might reuse the seals when done wrapping.
Mikey914
The ones I made are rubber, not like the OEM. They are a PVC. I did this so that they could easily be removed cor cleaning, and not get hard and brittle.
Makes cleaning easier. biggrin.gif
dt4
QUOTE(mepstein @ Mar 23 2020, 03:34 PM) *

And like George said, put a windshield kit on your list. I think it’s about 19 clips and 2 spacers.

thanks mepstein
so they arent "reusable" ?
I have had the trim off and on again a couple of times
mepstein
QUOTE(dt4 @ Mar 23 2020, 03:42 PM) *

QUOTE(mepstein @ Mar 23 2020, 03:34 PM) *

thanks mepstein
so they arent "reusable" ?
I have had the trim off and on again a couple of times

I've never been able to get a windshield out without breaking a couple so for me they are not reusable. I believe it's recommended to replace but it's probable the case that not everyone does.
aturboman
You can always lead them in for a nice clean look.

Like George said that was how the factory intended them to be originally until the accountants took the project over.

Click to view attachment Click to view attachment
roblav1
As I wrote on another post, I tig them and grind flat on my cars. They are water / crud resevoirs.
dt4
I dont have the tig kit but i could lead load, if Mark is able to supply I will go OE first

back to the trim clips around the windshield, I removed the trim without breaking any and the glass is staying in place as there was enough space to get the wire wheel in around the glass to remove the paint far enough back for repainting so I was working on them being reusable.
I refitted the trim when it came back from polishing to check it had not been deformed and it seemed to clip home ok.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.