Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: What’s this noise...
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
MikeInMunich
Pretty sure it’s when I turn to the left...clunk clunk clunk clunk clunk...the faster I’m going, the faster the clunking, from the rear left wheel. I changed my CV joints last year.

Thanks for your insight.

M.i.M. beerchug.gif
burton73
Did you put in new ones of a good quality? Are you sure they have not come lose?

Years ago I had a noise and it was a loss CV. back in 1978 with my 74 car

Bob B
SirAndy
Do a search here, there's been a lot of discussions about the quality (or lack thereof) of some of the recently available new CVs.

dry.gif
Mark Henry
Check your outboard CV's, one's loose. Likely in with only one or two bolts.
Like @PatrickB at last years 50th at Mosport. dry.gif
MikeInMunich
QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Apr 11 2020, 12:32 PM) *

Should have mentioned...I only changed the inner bearings. Guess the outer could be wasted, too, as opposed to just loose. dry.gif
Retroracer
What Mark_Henry said, check the security of the CV bolts. 914Rubber sell some bolts predrilled for safety wire, which is extra insurance if any did work loose.

The noise you describe sounds like CVs, not wheel bearings - I went through this last summer, replacement CV joints fixed it. Mine were sufficiently shagged that getting under the car you could feel the rotational play by rocking the shafts by hand....

- Tony
djway
I had the same exact noise when I first got the 914 I now have.
Outboard CV bolts were missing and ultra loose.
Krieger
The outside bearing move up and down farther and wear faster than the inners.
MikeInMunich
QUOTE(Retroracer @ Apr 11 2020, 03:35 PM) *

What Mark_Henry said, check the security of the CV bolts. 914Rubber sell some bolts predrilled for safety wire, which is extra insurance if any did work loose.

The noise you describe sounds like CVs, not wheel bearings - I went through this last summer, replacement CV joints fixed it. Mine were sufficiently shagged that getting under the car you could feel the rotational play by rocking the shafts by hand....

- Tony

Thanks Tony. I was under there yesterday. Bolts aren’t loose. It’s eithe Ruhe CV joint or the bearing. Will be putting it up on a lift to have a better look tomorrow.
PatrickB
QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Apr 11 2020, 04:32 PM) *

Live and learn! agree.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.