Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 914-6 conversion wiring guidance
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
mb911
I have 90% of the harness connections made.. My biggest issue is that I am not 100% sure where the voltage regulator wires in.. Should the blue DF wire go to the regulator from the engine go to the regulator then back to the main harness? What about the black wire from the alternator? I believe that hooks onto the brush pack on the back of the alternator but does that directly hook into main harness plug?

I have everything else figured out.. Click to view attachment
mb911
Looks like the DF wire is actually the black wire.. So does the blue wire make a side track to the regulator as well?

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsche-911...ing-ground.html
ClayPerrine
What year is your engine/alternator? Is it internally regulated or externally regulated?

Clay
mb911
Clay its a 73 engine with a fresh SEV Marchal alternator
ClayPerrine
It should wire up exactly like the /4 alternator, with the exception that the wiring is contained in the engine harness. You can separate it from the engine harness so you can remove the engine harness without removing the fan shroud.

You can even extend the wires on a /4 alternator harness to make it work.

And use a Marchal regulator, not the Bosch one. It works better with the Marchal alternator.

dr914@autoatlanta.com
I cannot remember, but have the correct wiring advice in my pamphlet "how to convert if someone could swipe it and post here for ben
914forme
The author is agreeing to intellectual property swipage. screwy.gif

Where did I put that phampleqte

See below, credit taken from credit given. George Asked gladly deliver

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

914forme
It is a nice little book, and reference to have around, if you can afford it, it is one of the nice pieces that truly help the 914 world.
914forme
And the other two pages of wiring reference.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

dr914@autoatlanta.com
Thank you.
914forme
More than welcome
mb911
Thanks.. Now keep in mind not using the relay board.. I checked the wiring diagrams and believe this is correct.. I temped in the regulatorClick to view attachment
mlindner
Hey Ben, get a hold of Perry Kiehl. I think he would have the answer for you. Best, Mark
mb911
I will ping @ironhillrestorations
IronHillRestorations
The blue charge light wire goes to D+
mb911
Thats how I have it wired.. Thanks
roblav1
Holy cow! Thank you. I'm at the same place as Ben, but my engine is 930/02 with a new internal alternator.
IronHillRestorations
You should've told me you needed the terminals. I have the locking ones for the VR plug
raynekat
QUOTE(mb911 @ Apr 13 2020, 12:57 PM) *

Hope you are not using a Bosch voltage regulator with that SEV Marchal alternator. It's a mismatch big time and you'll not have enough voltage at the battery.
ClayPerrine
QUOTE(roblav1 @ Apr 13 2020, 07:00 PM) *

Holy cow! Thank you. I'm at the same place as Ben, but my engine is 930/02 with a new internal alternator.

Yours is very simple. Look at the 4 cylinder relay board. there is a 3 pin connector where the /4 alternator harness plugs in. Coming from the alternator, there is a single blue wire. Hook the single blue wire to the front most pin on the 3 pin alternator connector.

Clay
mb911
QUOTE(raynekat @ Apr 13 2020, 06:59 PM) *

QUOTE(mb911 @ Apr 13 2020, 12:57 PM) *

Hope you are not using a Bosch voltage regulator with that SEV Marchal alternator. It's a mismatch big time and you'll not have enough voltage at the battery.

Nope using the SEV regulator..
mb911
One question I do have is the black wire coming from the chassis harness switched 12v from the key switch?
IronHillRestorations
Just got up so still foggy, but I'm pretty sure you are correct
mb911
Thanks Perry.. Getting the wiring wrapped up this week is my goal along with all fuel and oil connections..
roblav1
Thank you very much Clay.

QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Apr 14 2020, 04:46 AM) *

Yours is very simple. Look at the 4 cylinder relay board. there is a 3 pin connector where the /4 alternator harness plugs in. Coming from the alternator, there is a single blue wire. Hook the single blue wire to the front most pin on the 3 pin alternator connector.

Clay

Chuck53
QUOTE(mb911 @ Apr 13 2020, 03:35 PM) *

I have 90% of the harness connections made.. My biggest issue is that I am not 100% sure where the voltage regulator wires in.. Should the blue DF wire go to the regulator from the engine go to the regulator then back to the main harness? What about the black wire from the alternator? I believe that hooks onto the brush pack on the back of the alternator but does that directly hook into main harness plug?

I have everything else figured out.. Click to view attachment

I have a 1970 914-6 and have spent plenty of time going through the wiring, so I can see why you are having problems. First of all, a regulator board is different on a 914-4 and 914-6. Secondly, the wires going to my alternator are Big red to B+, Small Red to D+, Black to DF and Brown to Ground. I do not have a blue wire. The Small Red, Black and Brown goes to the regulator board as a 3 prong plug that daisy chains to the voltage regulator. Hope this helps.
gereed75
Welcome Chuck. Where do you live in PA?
Chuck53
QUOTE(gereed75 @ Apr 26 2020, 03:34 PM) *

Slatington, Pa, close to Coplay, Pa
mepstein
QUOTE(Chuck53 @ Apr 26 2020, 04:04 PM) *

QUOTE(gereed75 @ Apr 26 2020, 03:34 PM) *

Slatington, Pa, close to Coplay, Pa

welcome.png
930cabman
QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Apr 14 2020, 02:46 AM) *

Clay

Clay,

Please confirm which is the "front most pin" on the /4 relay board. I am just about ready to turn the ignition switch for the first time with this multi year /6 conversion build. Alternator with built in regulator has been tested. Besides the blue wire, I also have an extra red wire.

Thank you
ClayPerrine
QUOTE(930cabman @ Mar 15 2024, 06:12 PM) *

Clay

Clay,

Please confirm which is the "front most pin" on the /4 relay board. I am just about ready to turn the ignition switch for the first time with this multi year /6 conversion build. Alternator with built in regulator has been tested. Besides the blue wire, I also have an extra red wire.

Thank you

Take a look at this diagram:

IPB Image

The wire from the alternator needs to be hooked to the "D+" connection on the relay board. It is the one with the Blue wire in the diagram. Hook the blue wire from the alternator to that connection.

930cabman
QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Mar 16 2024, 04:14 AM) *

QUOTE(930cabman @ Mar 15 2024, 06:12 PM) *

Clay

Clay,

Thank you

Take a look at this diagram:

IPB Image

The wire from the alternator needs to be hooked to the "D+" connection on the relay board. It is the one with the Blue wire in the diagram. Hook the blue wire from the alternator to that connection.

Great information, thanks again.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.