Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Brightening the License Plate Lights
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
ctc911ctc
All,

'74, 2.0L

I was putting on new bumper-ets, and, well, would it be nice to have new rubber for the license plate lights? So I ordered them and then thought, these lenses are horrible.

Need to clean them.

Click to view attachment

One on the right I started to clean, the one on the left is what they looked like when removed from the car.

Click to view attachment

Washed and then used Dremel with a cotton buffing wheel. Looks pretty good. Nice Bright License Plates!

Still could do more, not sure I can get all of the black dots out of the plastic. Might take another pass tonight, now I need to source tiny brass grommets!

Big Len
Did the same and added LED bulbs. I like it.
ctc911ctc
LED BULBS! Brilliant!

QUOTE(Big Len @ Apr 14 2020, 04:57 PM) *

Did the same and added LED bulbs. I like it.

Mikey914
I have the rubber housings if you need them
Andyrew
I've got some motorcycle screw lights. Work pretty good. They replace a licence plate screw. Just have to tighten it before putting the bumper on.
ClayPerrine
CONGRATULATIONS!

You just made it easier for the cops to read your license plate at night! busted_cop.gif

When I put in the spokeworks light kits on all 3 of our 914s, I deliberately didn't upgrade the license plate light just for that very reason. I am not giving the cops a freebee. busted_cop.gif
FlacaProductions
Ha! You're right, Clay - I believe that legally, it has to be lit - it just doesn't have to be WELL-lit!

I have LED's in my plate lights...

Click to view attachment
ctc911ctc
The police are different here in MA, they spend their days looking into holes with the construction guys. Called Detail Work. Never been pulled over for anything. Traffic near everywhere is a free-for-all. Sporting.

No offense to any Massachusetts officers!

CTC911CTC

QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Apr 15 2020, 08:29 PM) *

CONGRATULATIONS!

You just made it easier for the cops to read your license plate at night! busted_cop.gif

When I put in the spokeworks light kits on all 3 of our 914s, I deliberately didn't upgrade the license plate light just for that very reason. I am not giving the cops a freebee. busted_cop.gif

Big Len
Of course, you'd want the brighter plate if it were stolen and I rarely break any traffic laws at night.
UROpartsman
Hi CTC, if you want to try some new License Plate Light 914 631 601 00 assemblies (more info), here's what Doug had to say about ours.

QUOTE(doug_b_928 @ Jan 31 2018, 09:30 AM) *
As an update, I have just received the lights from URO. They asked if I'd give my unbiased impression of them. My car only had 1 license plate light and it was not the correct light for any 914 and it also was not mounted correctly. So, a rebuild option where one needs the innards would not have helped me. I currently have my wire harness out and will be asking questions about that very soon in a separate thread, but I was able to hook the lights up to the harness to assess how securely the connectors fit on the tangs and how secure the tangs are after removing the connectors. My original bumper top (which will be replaced with one from 914Rubber) is at the farm but I'll bring it back next time I'm there to mock up the lights in their installed position. I'd like my car to be as original as I can get it but, as it's not a 6, I'm perfectly happy with aftermarket parts, especially when in some cases the aftermarket parts are said to be even better in quality than the original equipment. I've never seen OE license plates to compare to these. But these look nice to my eye, the rubber feels to be good quality to me and fits well around the lens, the lens is clear and without imperfections. The tangs are exactly the right size for a good, snug fit with the original connectors and the tangs stayed well-secured after removal of the connectors. I put 12 volts to test the light and as you can see in the pic below the light is bright and looks nice lit up. Overall, for my purposes, these will do great!

Here are the pics.
Mikey914
The evapo rust (or apple cider vinegar should work.
And for $6 you cann't go wrong
https://900designs-container.zoeysite.com/r...bber-gasket-1-1
I'll check, but think I may have an LED or two haning out
Mikey914
We will be finishing up the assemblies in another month or two. Retail $18
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.