Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Ignition Switch
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Ross

RE: 1.7 1972

Hi Everyone,

I am continuing down a road of process elimination with a starting issue and electrical issue. Next up is replacing the ignition switch. (I replaced one of these in a 914 when I was a teenager…not too big of a deal…I thought).

I followed all the rules, removed the steering pad, steering wheel, switches. I then removed the 2 screws that hold the ignition cylinder in its place. Next, I inserted the key and turned it to the on position. This is supposed to allow the ignition cylinder to slide out. But it wouldn’t.

Any suggestions? It was all going so well until this point.

Side information: A while ago, I had the car to my favorite 914 experts. I think they mentioned that the black key was supposed to be for the ignition and the red for the doors. Mine are switched.

Maybe a crazy idea, but, could it be, that over time, the POs had different keys made and fitted for the ignition cylinder, and, now the current car keys don’t exactly insert to a point that (when turned to the on position) lets the cylinder release from steering column area?

Thanks so much as always for the help! You guys are always a great help![u]
porschetub
QUOTE(Ross @ Apr 16 2020, 01:08 PM) *

RE: 1.7 1972

Hi Everyone,

I am continuing down a road of process elimination with a starting issue and electrical issue. Next up is replacing the ignition switch. (I replaced one of these in a 914 when I was a teenager…not too big of a deal…I thought).

I followed all the rules, removed the steering pad, steering wheel, switches. I then removed the 2 screws that hold the ignition cylinder in its place. Next, I inserted the key and turned it to the on position. This is supposed to allow the ignition cylinder to slide out. But it wouldn’t.

Any suggestions? It was all going so well until this point.

Side information: A while ago, I had the car to my favorite 914 experts. I think they mentioned that the black key was supposed to be for the ignition and the red for the doors. Mine are switched.

Maybe a crazy idea, but, could it be, that over time, the POs had different keys made and fitted for the ignition cylinder, and, now the current car keys don’t exactly insert to a point that (when turned to the on position) lets the cylinder release from steering column area?

Thanks so much as always for the help! You guys are always a great help![u]

Switch plugs in from the rear of the main key assembly as far as I remember one small screw holding it in,good luck.
Tbrown4x4
Black key is the main key. Red key is the valet key. The valet key should only work in the doors and the ignition.

There is a Tech article on the home page:
http://www.914world.com/specs/rekey.php
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.