Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: engine rebilding
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
barringtonpro
After a 35 year hiatus from rebuilding my two 356 and four type 1 engines, i;m looking forward to rebuilding my current, '73 914 2.0 engine. I'd appreciate it if someone could answer a few basic question for me. One question i have is, "which piston cyl kits seem the best as in material, from aftermarket? I understand they would need to be measured - and is alloy finned worth the price over the cast iron finned. I always went with cast iron, with no problems while autocrossing the 356 engines, but that was long ago and maybe the casting were better back then, i don't know. Also who has the better gasket set?

If i where to go with the 96mm kit, what can i expect to pay a machine shop to do the cutting here in the N.E.? and last, how stable is the case? my 356 never needed align boring on the mains. is it typical with a tired 914 t4 to need it. I will of course measure for it?

thank you
Frank
BeatNavy
Keith Black pistons have a good reputation. For stock and 96mm, it seems biral are pretty cost effective cylinders that dissipate the heat better than cast iron. Significantly above 96mm it seems like Nikasil may be worth the price if you want it to last.

You don't need any machining on the type 4 case for 96mm. They slip right in. If you want to "do it right," though, I'd have a machine shop check for bore alignment and register (spigot) height to make sure it's within .002 in of each other. Probably want to have them balance all your new parts, too. I think I paid about $400 to $500 for that plus a flywheel resurface. That did NOT include head work, cutting pushrods (which I did myself, poorly), or modification of 1.7L rockers. Unless your case was abused (like bus engines), bore alignment is probably good, but I think (others with more experience can correct) that aligning register heights is pretty common. Heads, go to Len Hoffman (HAM Engineering).

Type 4 store has some good products, including engine rebuild seal kit.

Just for reference, I didn't skimp on anything a year ago and I was in for over $5k in parts and labor. Surprisingly expensive even when putting that all together yourself.

This is good reading for type 4 rebuilds in general: http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...p;#entry1529209
Mark Henry
If it's just a stockish rebuild use the Kieth Black (KB) pistons with the new 96mm iron jugs.
All KB sets come from EMW Here no matter what reseller you buy it from. BTW They are modified Ford Pinto pistons.
EMW has a funky way of ordering, 4 pistons, 4 cylinders and one set of rings. For stock 2.0 crank and rods you want the 24mm pin size.
Pistons
Zaffer
This is good info as I'm getting ready to rebuild on of my 2.0L engines. I kept going between the KB's and JE's. Mine will mainly be a nice weather car and not tracked, just back-road adventuring.

Thanks for the info, especially the height check!
barringtonpro
yes, very helpful, thanks everyone.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.