Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Valve adjustment newbie question
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Stltri
Sorry for the newbie question but what determines the valve gap (.006 vs .008 etc) when doing the maintenance adjustments. Most of the discussions seems to be applicable to stock 1.7/1.8 vs 2.0 engines? What about new builds (2056, 2200, 2270 etc)? How about ported heads?
GregAmy
A classic. Never disappoints:

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=28758
brant
I will try to answer

The 2.0 engines used sodium filled exhaust valves that expand more than non sodium valves.

The gap is determined by the expansion rate of multiple different metals

The type of actual valves and actual pushrod materials in your actual motor will determine the valve gap you need to use... that will play friendly with the amount of expansion when the motor is warm
Stltri
QUOTE(brant @ Apr 16 2020, 02:11 PM) *

I will try to answer

The 2.0 engines used sodium filled exhaust valves that expand more than non sodium valves.

The type of actual valves and actual pushrod materials in your actual motor will determine the valve gap you need to use... that will play friendly with the amount of expansion when the motor is warm

Is is safe to assume then that in the absence of any info on the materials of the pushrods/valves on the newly built engine that we use .006 gap for intake and .008 gap for the exhaust?
brant
QUOTE(Stltri @ Apr 17 2020, 12:07 AM) *

QUOTE(brant @ Apr 16 2020, 02:11 PM) *

I will try to answer

Is is safe to assume then that in the absence of any info on the materials of the pushrods/valves on the newly built engine that we use .006 gap for intake and .008 gap for the exhaust?

Yes
Safe to assume

Did your rebuild use chromoly push rods or large mm stainless steel valves?

Is it’s a 3 bolt head (2.0). I would assume 6 and 8
GregAmy
<never mind>
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.