Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: What type 4 heat exchangers did I buy here?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
mb911
I bought these from a local shop going out of business.. They appear to be ssi 2.0 but the flange is only about 1/8" thick.. Could these be early ssi's ? I will ultimately be selling these and likely weld a new flange on for the new owner to be but not having a type 4 set up here I want to make sure that they are truly 2.0. They are in fantastic shape except for the flange.. Very odd for sure. Click to view attachment
914werke
those are early SSI's 2.0L versions. ID'd buy the mild steel or lwr grade SS flanges that have now rusted away. Later vers had SS flanges

EDIT: LMK when, I have a few customers seeking those & can weld new flanges up
mb911
QUOTE(914werke @ Apr 23 2020, 11:04 AM) *

those are early SSI's 2.0L versions. ID'd buy the mild steel or lwr grade SS flanges that have now rusted away. Later vers had SS flanges

EDIT: LMK when, I have a few customers seeking those & can weld new flanges up

@914werke what do you think they are worth as is? I am going to have a fresh batch of laser cut flanges in a few weeks.. It would cost me about $125 for flanges and my time to repair these..
mepstein
$600
Just my opinion. smile.gif
mb911
That isn't bad.. Fixed are they worth $850? I know last summer a used set sold for 1100.. They were a newer model but in similar condition less the flange issue..
914_7T3
A new set sold for below their true value (IMHO) at $900 here on the forum just a few days ago if that helps establish an upper value.

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=344948
mb911
That does help.. Thanks..
mepstein
QUOTE(914_7T3 @ Apr 23 2020, 06:18 PM) *

A new set sold for below their true value (IMHO) at $900 here on the forum just a few days ago if that helps establish an upper value.

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=344948

That was a really good deal. The new ones in a box go for quite a bit more.
Bleyseng
Shhit, I paid $200 for mine brand new 20+ yrs ago.
mb911
Lol when I started driving way back gas was $1.... Wait it is again here.. How did that happen?
914werke
Have they been checked for cracks?
mb911
QUOTE(914werke @ Apr 23 2020, 03:22 PM) *

Have they been checked for cracks?

On the bolt flanges to the heads? Yes.. No issues
Mark Henry
Yes early SSI's had mild steel flanges, I had a set that I had to make new flanges for back in early 2000. BTW I could be wrong but the extension tube on the top exchanger I've only seen with early SSI's

It's best if you can pressure test them, I've never seen it personally but IIRC there was a thread a while back where the primary tube had split inside the exchanger.
sixnotfour
BTW I could be wrong but the extension tube on the top exchanger I've only seen with early SSI's

You could buy em separately..
I have a pair that has SS flanges, butt the head ears are Fuched.. w00t.gif
IronHillRestorations
I'd be very judicious about those, the pipes look sketchy. Up in the salt belt those things can be bad.
mb911
QUOTE(IronHillRestorations @ Apr 24 2020, 12:38 PM) *

I'd be very judicious about those, the pipes look sketchy. Up in the salt belt those things can be bad.

So the history here is that these were in my 1st 914-6 conversion car from new mexico.. I just bought the roller 21 years ago.. The heat exchangers remained in the shop for the last 21 years and new mexico prior to that. The car never ran here and was previously owned by a GI that got relocated. I bought the car only as I said and converted it to a 6
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.