Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: How much Noise should the TOP make?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
ctc911ctc
All Teeners,

Focusing on the things that bug me.

When driving down a bumpy road (which is every road in the Boston area) the top makes a great deal of noise on top of the sail.

I have all new 914Rubber front and back and all over the car BTW.

I have tightened the latches as tight as I dare.

Both doors are tight and fit well. I also have added Brad Meyers tub stiffness: https://914ltd.com/product/porsche-914-chas...-repair-panels/

Perhaps a few thoughts as to how to test for body flex longitudinal? Might this be the culprit, twisting???

Thank you,
CTC911CTC
Mark Henry
That's just the gerbils in the engine complaining. biggrin.gif

QUOTE(ctc911ctc @ Apr 24 2020, 09:02 AM) *

Perhaps a few thoughts as to how to test for body flex longitudinal? Might this be the culprit, twisting???

Thank you,
CTC911CTC

Some guys use a silicone spray to tone down the squeaks.
Put a jack under the rear lift donut or on the long right under the rear of the door and watch the gap as you lift.

I have my '74 which is "rust free" and never been restored, if I roll it out of my shop (over a bump) and place my palm over the windshield hoop and top gap I can feel the top squirreling around.
My wife's '72 is a restored rust bucket with new clam shells and an inner long kit. If I do the same as above the gap doesn't move a bit.

Inspecting my '74 I can see some hairline cracks at the e-brake handle area. Someday I plan to put an inner long kit in my teen, but even with the stiffest chassis you will still have squeaks.

Superhawk996
Too high of expectation

These are not modern cars.

As previously stated by Mark, Silicone Spray and Armor All can help. Krytox is what the auto industry uses on certain problem areas like windshield surrond trim and what will be most effective of the targa rubber to body interfaces. There are all kinds of grades of Krytox ranging from

https://www.ebay.com/i/184197562621?chn=ps&...BiABEgIXVfD_BwE

to more OEM versions that cost up to $100 for 2 oz but it lasts and it works and 2oz will do hundreds of cars.

If you really want to eliminate all squeeks and rattles, you're going to have to buy either NVH felt flocking like this

https://www.amazon.com/Anti-Squeak-Rattle-A...d/dp/B012D23HDE

or anti-squeek polyethylene tape

https://www.grainger.com/product/15D284?gcl...33;437026409190!

Use at interfaces between trim parts that can move relative to each other.

If you've ever worked on a modern Japanese or German vehicle you'll have an idea of where this stuff goes.
ctc911ctc
Superhawk (Studebaker guy?) thank you!

Seems that both you AND I have too high expectations. How else would you know about all of these great remedies?

I will try them this weekend,

Thank you!

QUOTE(Superhawk996 @ Apr 24 2020, 07:58 AM) *

Too high of expectation

These are not modern cars.

As previously stated by Mark, Silicone Spray and Armor All can help. Krytox is what the auto industry uses on certain problem areas like windshield surrond trim and what will be most effective of the targa rubber to body interfaces. There are all kinds of grades of Krytox ranging from

https://www.ebay.com/i/184197562621?chn=ps&...BiABEgIXVfD_BwE

to more OEM versions that cost up to $100 for 2 oz but it lasts and it works and 2oz will do hundreds of cars.

If you really want to eliminate all squeeks and rattles, you're going to have to buy either NVH felt flocking like this

https://www.amazon.com/Anti-Squeak-Rattle-A...d/dp/B012D23HDE

or anti-squeek polyethylene tape

https://www.grainger.com/product/15D284?gcl...33;437026409190!

Use at interfaces between trim parts that can move relative to each other.

If you've ever worked on a modern Japanese or German vehicle you'll have an idea of where this stuff goes.

VegasRacer
I went with the low tech, non concours soultion.
Just wedge a matchbook in there. smilie_wirdgut.gif
rhodyguy
Try the one sided felt tape in the recesses on the targa bar where the rubber stand offs rest. With so many stores closed, try a Walgreens type and look in the sewing 'notions'.
jim_hoyland
? Possible 914 Rubber upgrade ? smile.gif
Superhawk996
QUOTE(ctc911ctc @ Apr 24 2020, 10:41 AM) *

Superhawk (Studebaker guy?) thank you!

Seems that both you AND I have too high expectations. How else would you know about all of these great remedies?

@ctc911ctc

Nah, my expectations for 914's are pretty low. happy11.gif But, my love of my 1st 914 and the time I spent working on it in my 20's is what motivated me to become an automotive engineer as a career.

I've spent way too many years of my life working on things like NVH, water leaks, powertrain noises, etc., but it has been a fun ride for the past 25 years. biggrin.gif

We'll see how much longer I can go, but I supect the panicdemic is about to kill the industry along with many others that have already lost their jobs. sad.gif
porschetub
QUOTE(jim_hoyland @ Apr 25 2020, 03:13 AM) *

? Possible 914 Rubber upgrade ? smile.gif

Jim 914rubber sell a basic rear roof seal and an improved version which has a fluffy coating on it (for want of a better word ?) Mark mentions it on the website,I see one of these for my car in the future,with the clamping of the latches and the movement of the roof and the car flexing they just wear out.
I'am going to fit a set of Bruces rebuild rear latches to hopefully pull the top down a little more but in reality its a bandage for a broken leg,this seal needs to be in good condition or replaced.
Chris914n6
Likely the rear latch bumpers are dry & hard. Easy test is to undo the rear latches and listen.
jim_hoyland
Could those latch bumpers be replaced ?
bandjoey
I put a piece of very small rubber hose on the latch pin and it stopped the problem.
Mikey914
Your noise is more than likely the rubber bumpers on the roof that the latch tightens down onto. With the fuzzey on the rear, it's the only other point of contact.

-Mark
brcacti
Mine has many rattles and noises, wind sounds from windows, it's a good survivor, nice shape but it's OLD. If I were a mechanic I probably would try hunting down some of the noises but have not yet bothered with it.
Chris914n6
QUOTE(jim_hoyland @ Apr 24 2020, 04:16 PM) *

Could those latch bumpers be replaced ?

uro makes some but they don't specify early or late.

URO Parts 91456303319 Targa Top Mounting Block, Rear Mounting BLock

IPB Image
PanelBilly
Mine also squeaks too much. If I put a scrap of polishing towel between the roof and the top of the sail panel, sometimes its quiet, but then I have trouble unlatching the clamp on that side. I think its too tight and I need to press down on the roof to take the pressure off it. I have the new rubber seals on it. I was thinking maybe I need to shim the rubber seal in that area.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.