Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Moved the fuel pump to the front.
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
rstover
I wanted to keep the car as original as possible but felt I would get more reliability by going with a 2 port and moving it to the front. I searched the 914 world first and found various opinions. Here is what I ended up with.

Bracket from a 75 or 76 914.
Click to view attachment

This only required two 1/4 inch holes.

Reducers from Tangerine racing. One U shaped and one strait.

Some fuel hose and electrical wire.

I not sure that I needed to but I ran the wire from the back original fuel pump connector
both the positive and the ground.
Click to view attachment :

Click to view attachment

The second picture I attempt to show the routing of the hose. Out of the supply nipple from tank it is looped around the front brace and goes into the strait reducer from large hose about 9.5 mm to 8 the small goes to the driver side brace then thru the master cylinder to the filter . From the pump I used the U shaped to go from the small back to the large. I had already put stainless lines in the tunnel. I want to thank the previous poster on this topic and Mark and Chris for their help.
ndfrigi
Thank you for sharing! Will be doing the same for my 74 project.
rstover
I forgot to mention that I needed to change the angle of the supply nipple on the tank.

Click to view attachment

The supply nipple is rotated almost parallel to the tank but about 5 degrees from parallel

One advantage or two is that it is easier to remove tank and reinstall. The tank can be drained by undoing the strait reducer and you can attach the supply hose to the tank before you put it in and then attach to the reducer.
Montreal914
Thank you sharing. beerchug.gif

I am about to do this while on a Microsquirt conversion project. I will use a 75-76 fuel pump access panel and duplicate the factory installation with the front trunk opening.
JOEPROPER
QUOTE(rstover @ Apr 24 2020, 05:59 PM) *

I forgot to mention that I needed to change the angle of the supply nipple on the tank.

Click to view attachment

The supply nipple is rotated almost parallel to the tank but about 5 degrees from parallel

One advantage or two is that it is easier to remove tank and reinstall. The tank can be drained by undoing the strait reducer and you can attach the supply hose to the tank before you put it in and then attach to the reducer.

This part is very helpful. I had to do the same when i installed my fuel pump too.
bdstone914
@rstover

Did you upgrade to stainless steel lines in the tunnel? When they changed to the front mounted pump they changed to a tougher polymide line.
The lines were pressurized with the front mounted pump unlike the early lines with a rear pump carried no positive pressure.
rstover
QUOTE(bdstone914 @ Apr 25 2020, 09:18 AM) *

@rstover

Did you upgrade to stainless steel lines in the tunnel? When they changed to the front mounted pump they changed to a tougher polymide line.
The lines were pressurized with the front mounted pump unlike the early lines with a rear pump carried no positive pressure.

Yes I had already changed to the stainless steel line. That is a very important safety point when switching the pump to the front. I probably should have mentioned that.
Thanks for pointing that out.
rstover
This picture might be helpful. Maybe I should have mentioned that I used fender washers on the inside to mount bracket.

Click to view attachment
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.