Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Looking to restore my 914 74 2.0 L
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
Asheikh
Hi guys, I love THIS website ever since I came across it a few years back.

I want to start off by thanking all the members for creating such a great community and a special thank you to the people who took the initiative in starting it.

-----------

I will try and keep this short.

My name is Ali Sheikh (can call me Ali) I am 32 years old and I live in Lahore, Pakistan.

My father went to Syracuse University in the 70s for his undergrad and that's when he bought a 914 74 2.0L in silver with black interior.after my father was done from university he brought the car back with him to Pakistan.

all of his close ones loved his 914 and I got to hear a ton of great stories about the car from my father and all of the people that ever came across it.

Anyhow the car ended up being neglected over the decades to the point where it ended up being scrap.

the reason for the neglect was that the car started off with having engine heating problems and that too in a very short period of it being imported. not long after that, it ran into heavy engine problems which nobody understood at the time in the country.

it was then parked around indoors and sometimes outdoors in different family garages. Slowly over the decades it just ended up to a point that there wasn't much left to it other than the body. someone also stole the engine while it was parked at one of the locations, probably an open car parking lot.

the dilemma is that I love the car and have been wanting to fix it and don't know where to start from.

Pakistan does not allow the import of used cars that are more than 4 years old. otherwise, I would have probably just bought a few of these. This is the only 914 in the country and their cant be another. unless the government decided to change the law which is unlikely to happen.

there are many great classic car enthusiasts in the country and loads of classic cars but only 1 914.

just been busy with all kinds of other bs in life. I have finally decided to put my money where my mouth is and go for it.

I have 0 car welding or mechanical background, I have read many amazing builds here which got me very confused as to which setup to go for.
the great subi conversions like the ankle-biter 914, to some crazy amazing Porsche conversions cayenne engines, cayman engines. the flat 6 conversions. all beautiful masterpieces. to each there own, I love the black 914 restomod canepa. I appreciate all of them.

I have been reading up on builds for the past 5 years or more on and off and I just can't get enough of it. I have gotten the germs for the 914 now and I can not stop thinking about my 914.

I have been in contact with dr.914, what a great man I highly respect him for his guidance and help. I believe if it weren't for him maybe 914s wouldn't be what they are today in some way or the other. cant place my finger on what exactly.

I am pretty sure I can restore my 914 now with help from 914world and dr.914.
Plus with the amount of will I have now, I think we will figure a way out.

I need to find a great mechanically sound 914 74 2.0L or better. I will strip all parts from it, for my 914.

I would love to build 914 6 Gt but don't have the budget to drop $100,000+ In one go to do so or the technical mindset.

I will appreciate all the help I can find here.

I plan on outsourcing parts of the build to others with experience in the business but trust me I wish I had the technical abilities to do everything my self like most of you guys.

The good news is I got Porsche Pakistan to quote me on complete bodywork restoration, repaint, and reassembly of all the parts I provide. Surprisingly it's not that bad and I have asked the owner of Porsche Pakistan to give me a discount I will post that here once he gives me a new quote.

I feel as if I need everyone on here to give me input on the build I will start sharing the current pictures of the project. I will also share some inspirational images, videos, and features that have inspired me for now and later. (what is the best way to share lots of pictures in a post)

any help, information, and ideas will be highly appreciated

kind regards

Ali
914werke
Greeting & welcome Ali (although it sounds like you've been in lurk mode for quite a while). Since you cant import a (parts) car it seems your 2 options are buy one & pay to have it stored ..somewhere..where you can have the parts pulled you need, have them refurbished there, shipped & then install them to your chassis.
Or rather than buy a car & deal with those logistics, simply buy the particular components you need in either restored condition or as is, allowing you to restore or refurbish them.
In either case your are in for a long & probably expensive process including: storage labor shipping and then the same in Pakistan in reverse... good luck
Tdskip
Welcome Ali - we are happy you are here, please don't be shy with questions or if help is needed.
PanelBilly
The world just keeps getting smaller. I think you need to figure out the best way to import the part needed. We have so many options and vendors here in the states, you just need to find the right combination to keep your costs down. Can you bring in used parts or are you limited to new ones. A freight forwarding company that would store up items from different sources and then crate them together into one shipment might be a smart choice. Maybe find someone in your city that imports products from the U.S. and add your crate to one of their containers.

And don't hesitate to ask where to buy a particular part. We all like to brag about finding the best deal. There's several guys here who can assemble a great engine and would source the case to build it with.

Keep the photos coming
ndfrigi
@asheikh Looks like you have a very good solid roller compare to many 914 owners here who did major restoration. Maybe you can ask someone here in the US to find all the parts you need and ship them to you.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
Asheikh
ndfrigi
QUOTE(Asheikh @ Apr 30 2020, 01:55 PM) *

Thoughts on picking this up for a 914 6 conversion

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=344776

what other parts would I require to complete the job?
huh.gif

that car is a running car with the 1.8 FI and should be pretty much complete car if u buy it. If the other member will have to pass.

I owned that car as a project until a friend bought it from me after he helped me do some metal work on my 71 before. My friend did lots of metal
work and I did help make the 1.8 FI run and then he drove the car for a while until he has to sell it. The seller now did more metal works like the wide fender.

Click to view attachment
Asheikh
Really nice car the blue one also.

Unfortunately I am looking for 2.0L minimum deal and this is a 1.8L

Thank you so much for the posting smile.gif
Cairo94507
welcome.png Hi Ali - After looking at the pictures you posted I agree you are starting with what appears to be a pretty solid chassis. So at least that puts you a little ahead of the curve. I believe the best thing for you to do is to get the chassis in good shape all around.

Inspect the chassis to make sure you have no rust-through issues to deal with. Make sure all of the suspension mounting point are solid. Get a friend or maybe 2 friends to stand in the interior on the floorboard of the car and with both doors open, see if the chassis flexes up and down. Be careful, start with one person and if that's looks good, add another. I am thinking maybe 225 pound is enough to test the rigidity of the chassis so you know if you are in good shape or not. You can also check the area of the floorboard where the pedals are attached as that is another rust spot. Look at the entire floor of the car for rust-through holes. Pull the rocker panel covers off, the long covers that are below the doors that have the jack post holes in them. Inspect that area for rust as it is the most prone to rust.

Of course check the engine compartment out looking specifically at the base of the firewall (the section between the engine and the passenger compartment) look along the bottom of that entire firewall for rust though as that is a typical problem. Then check the areas below the battery box on the right side of the car as you sit in the car, and then look on the left side too. Water tends to get trapped in those areas when the drain holes get plugged up.

Look in both the front and rear trunks for rust-through. The front trunk is going to be prone to rust all around the weather seal channel where the hood seals closed. Also another bad spot is the area of the brake fluid reservoir. In the rear trunk, in addition to the weather strip channel, check the trunk floor where it joins the rear panel in which the taillights are housed. That area where the rear panel and the trunk floor meet is a very common rust area. Of course when you are working in the rear trunk that would be the time to find a repair panel section for the area where someone has added a cover/box, maybe that is where they put the battery. Pull that off and see if the area is cut out or not. That is not a typical body modification that I have seen.

Another spot prone to rust on these is all around the windshield where it meets the cowl. The area where the windshield wipers are attached. Also along the sail panel (roll bar) where it joins the rear quarter panels and there is usually a piece of trim at the base. That and the area where the door handles recess is where you place your hand to open the door handle. Rust is common in that pillar and area.

Oh, yeah... one more place is the end of the quarter panel up high by the tail lights. Porsche packed that area with foam and it absorbs water and causes rust. That foam should be romped and never reinstalled in my opinion.

Your chassis looked good in the pictures, but I always think the most expensive and difficult part of restoring these cars is tackling the old chassis to make it safe, string and reliable for all the work that will come after the chassis is solid.

Cheers and pace yourself.
Michael
FlacaProductions
Welcome @Asheikh - I've been to Lahore a number of times and would have loved to seen a 914 running around! Glad you're here - I hope this project works out...
Olympic 914
Why the odd boxed section it the rear trunk? Was it a V8 conversion?

Probably should move this thread to the Garage.
Asheikh
hi guys thank you for the positive feed back

panelbily - shipping parts out of the usa would be relatively easy since I go lots of stuff imported a couple of moths back through a freight company like you have suggested. I love your car its a beauty please upload a more indepth video review for it please.

FlacaProductions - great to hear that you have been to Paksitan. Maybe next time you visit there will be one smile.gif

ndfrigi & Cairo94507 - plan on getting complete body work done in the coming weeks contemplating flares or narrow body. narrow body has grown on me quite a bit, but it took a long time do so. what are your thoughts on body type? saw some of the RD panels i might buy those if required. I am very ocd about the body work hence looking for the person in town. (will be posting more on this later)

Olympic 914 - some elders in the family had a go at brining it back on the road with some engine swap along time ago. i have gotten it dissasbmled since and plan to restore it back to its original form.

I am still contemplating on the look and figuring out costs of different engine setups.
I have seen some RHD conversions also which are intresting but then again its something i dont know much about since there werent many converions builds being covered. Atleast I havent seen a build on a conversion.
I like the 5 guage 911 dash swap that a few memebrs have done. I would like to consider that but dont know the pros and cons yet.
I dont want to compromise on the build.
My budget for parts for the first phase is 20,000 usd and if i phase the build out i could buy the remaing parts in a second phase. dont know if thats a better way to go around building a better car for a daily driver. I could buy a running 914 and strip all the parts in america or dubai.
Super confused everyones building all sorts of custom stuff here. A 2006 cayman can be bought for 11700 usd. so why do parts alone cost so much headbang.gif
I want it to be super realiable for long distances and high inclines. Hopefully take it to the northern areas of Pakistan. smilie_pokal.gif

I need help in deciding what would be the best thing to do. i dont ever plan on selling the car.
Asheikh
Finally sent my car to the workshop

Click to view attachment
Asheikh
At the workshop

Click to view attachment
Asheikh
Going to disassemble the complete suspension system

Click to view attachment
Asheikh
Hope I’ll be able to get the calipers repaired locally along with the trailing arms

Click to view attachment
Asheikh
Click to view attachment
Asheikh
Out
Gonna restore what I can locally

I have ordered the stock restoration kit from elephant racing

Click to view attachment
Asheikh
Click to view attachment
Asheikh
Wondering if this is repairable
Click to view attachment
Asheikh
Click to view attachment
Asheikh
Going to send all the following parts for powder coating

Click to view attachment
Asheikh
Trailing arms
Asheikh
Trailing arms

Click to view attachment
Asheikh
Click to view attachment
Superhawk996
Wow! Way to get after it. Nice job getting things cleaned up.

Can't imagine how hard this is to pull off where parts and local expertise aren't readily available.

smilie_pokal.gif
Superhawk996
@clayperrine

Doesn't this thread belong over in garage?
type47fan
welcome.png Hi Ali, Welcome and you're in the right place to get assistance/advice about your restoration project.

I don't see that anyone has asked yet, but would you mind adding your 914's VIN (Vehicle Identification Number) to the 914world "Member's VIN Numbers" database? It's a place that currently has nearly 11,000 entries that record the status of the vehicles listed.

If it hasn't been removed, the VIN is found in your car on a plate in the lower corner of the driver's side windshield "A" pillar. Also, it's metal stamped on the top of the passenger side front fender, under the hood, and on an adhesive label on the driver's side lower door jamb.

The format for a model year 1974 914 should be: 47429xxxxx.

To enter the VIN, and a few details about your car, look at any 914world page. In the upper right hand corner you'll see a reference to "914 Info". Click on it and it will take you to a page where you'll see three boxes. The left box reads "Production Information". In that box, look for and select "Members VIN Numbers".

You'll notice an area where you can input your VIN to see if it is already in the system, "Search for VIN#". If it's in the system, you can still add your own information with the following step.

You can add your VIN by selecting the prompt, "Add a new VIN . . ." in he lower left side of the box.

If you have any issues with adding the number, just reach out and we'll help.

Cheers,
Wayne
Asheikh
QUOTE(Superhawk996 @ Feb 11 2021, 07:46 AM) *

Wow! Way to get after it. Nice job getting things cleaned up.

Can't imagine how hard this is to pull off where parts and local expertise aren't readily available.

smilie_pokal.gif

Thank you for noticing right now my suspension Restoration parts are stuck in customs

Will Need to order a lot of parts to get this complete
Can you help me move this over this under garage
Is there away to do that or should I just start fresh there ?
Superhawk996
QUOTE(Asheikh @ Feb 11 2021, 01:54 PM) *

Can you help me move this over this under garage
Is there away to do that or should I just start fresh there ?

One of the Admin's will eventually pick it up and move it. Part of the reason more haven't noticed the thread is that is is over here in the Classified section of parts for sale or wanted to buy.

@SirAndy
ClayPerrine
QUOTE(Superhawk996 @ Feb 11 2021, 10:47 AM) *

@clayperrine

I just saw this and it was already moved to the garage.

And why the heck did you ping just me??? I am not the only cop on this beat. biggrin.gif

Asheikh welcome.png

The door handle is a goner. But we can arrange to get a new one to you somehow.

mrholland2
QUOTE(Olympic 914 @ May 1 2020, 10:57 AM) *

If you look through all the photos, there is a giant air cleaner assembly in one of them. My bet is that it had FI removed and a single carb put on . . and they used the giant air cleaner and needed clearance. (Probably used the heat riser to put warm air into the intake to sort of help the fuel falling out of suspension in cooler temps. . ) Maybe?
bkrantz
Your car and parts look good so far. Any rust in the usual 914 places? Rockers, floor, under the battery?
steuspeed
If it's the only 914 in Pakistan, I would make it as close to a stock 2.0L car as possible.
Asheikh
Thank you so much for the support biggrin.gif

QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Feb 11 2021, 01:35 PM) *

QUOTE(Superhawk996 @ Feb 11 2021, 10:47 AM) *

@clayperrine

I just saw this and it was already moved to the garage.

And why the heck did you ping just me??? I am not the only cop on this beat. biggrin.gif

Asheikh welcome.png

The door handle is a goner. But we can arrange to get a new one to you somehow.

<object width="475" height="381"><param value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Orjbwv8H9zM&showsearch=0&rel=0&fs=1&autoplay=0&ap=%2526fmt%3D18" name="movie" /><param value="window" name="wmode" /><param value="true" name="allowFullScreen" /><embed width="475" height="381" wmode="window" allowfullscreen="true" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Orjbwv8H9zM&showsearch=0&fs=1&rel=0&autoplay=0&ap=%2526fmt%3D18"></embed></object>

Asheikh
My older brother tried fitting in some garbage Toyota engine about 25 years ago
I might still have it some where Will share pics

chair.gif
QUOTE(mrholland2 @ Feb 11 2021, 04:43 PM) *

QUOTE(Olympic 914 @ May 1 2020, 10:57 AM) *

If you look through all the photos, there is a giant air cleaner assembly in one of them. My bet is that it had FI removed and a single carb put on . . and they used the giant air cleaner and needed clearance. (Probably used the heat riser to put warm air into the intake to sort of help the fuel falling out of suspension in cooler temps. . ) Maybe?

Asheikh
The floor pans were kinda flimsy and has rusted away
Will be updating more pics of the finished installed floor pan
Hope they do a good job

QUOTE(bkrantz @ Feb 11 2021, 07:21 PM) *

Your car and parts look good so far. Any rust in the usual 914 places? Rockers, floor, under the battery?

Asheikh
That's the final plan. wub.gif

QUOTE(steuspeed @ Feb 11 2021, 11:58 PM) *

If it's the only 914 in Pakistan, I would make it as close to a stock 2.0L car as possible.

ClayPerrine
Check the powdercoating on the rear trailing arms. If they got it inside the bearing holes, you are going to have to remove it before you can put the bearings in.

Clay
Asheikh
I have bought a complete rebuilt engine and transmission plus exhaust for my 914

Click to view attachment

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...=343411&hl=

Jon @yostcorners
Has been extremely supportive and helpful Thank you Jon.
smile.gif
Stuckon914
Impressive manual sheetmetal shaping. Looks to be coming along. Can find some of the smaller and more sensitive interior bits and pieces, lights?
Well done.
Sohail
Asheikh
More
Asheikh
More
Asheikh
My elephant racing 914 suspension Restoration kit finally got cleared through local customs

The kits costs with free shipping included was around 2700$ usd

But then I had to pay duties to clear it through customs they amounted to another 2700$ usd

But the most expensive piece from the kit the trailing arm poly bronze was missing

The last item on the list
Asheikh
Also I’m looking for part number 4 on this picture to complete my drive train
Any help would be appreciated
burton73
Most of the 914 have clutch tube issues as it is just a matter of time. When the bottom of your pan is off it the time to make sure that the welds and brackets that hold the clutch cable tube in the car are not cracked of in so many was screwed up. Seen this on most cars that have lived a long use life. Look it up on the search area or google under clutch tube 914world.

Lots of guys have repaired this in different ways but best to do and weld when the bottom is open

Bob B
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.