Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Need help
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Morph914
So I thought I would clean up the glove box lock, and after disassembly I started to clean the tumbler with brake cleaner and parts started to disappear. I didn’t realize that there was nothing holding in the flat brass wafers and the tiny springs. After cleaning for a bit I noticed some missing parts, I had lost three of the brass wafers and one spring. I found the wafers but not the spring. headbang.gif So after things got jumbled up, I have no clue how it goes back together.
It’s only the glove box so I don’t really care if it locks or not, but my little pea brain wants to know how this thing goes back together. I know I could take apart one of the other locks and duplicate it, or take it to a locksmith, but I really want to figure out this little puzzle. Two of the wafers have a #4 on them, none of the others are marked. The two wafers at the top right are are ones that were blown out with the brake clean, and the other one was reinserted before I realized there was probably a specific way these all had to be placed, so I do not know where that one is in the mix below.
Thank you in advance for any advice and or help.Click to view attachment Click to view attachmentClick to view attachment
bbrock
Don't panic. You can fix this. First, you can figure out the order of the wafers using your key. When the key is inserted, it will pull all of the wafers in so they are flush with the outside of the cylinder. Either start at one end and try different wafers until you get the right one and then move to the next, or just install all the wafers and note which ones don't pull in flush and try again with those. It shouldn't take too long to figure out the sequence.

I'm not sure where to get replacement springs. I got replacement springs and wafers from a member @Tweet but I'm not sure he is still selling parts. if you can't find replacements, your other option is to just leave out wafers you don't have springs for. It makes the lock a little less secure, but will work fine.

Here is a more complete thread on rekeying locks that was very helpful when I did mine. One of the wafers in that glove box tumbler will be a valet wafer which is also explained in that thread. That might be a good one to leave out if you have to.
mepstein
I have figured out the correct combo by trial and error. Try the each of the different styles of wafers- there are 4 types. Number each type 1-4 and make a pile of each. Try number 1 in slot 1, insert key. If wafer it flush with the tumbler with the key inserted, it’s the correct one. If it’s a mm high or low, take it out and try 2,3 or 4 until one of them is flush. Make a chart. Slot 1 = wafer 1,2,3 or 4. Repeat for each slot and mark down each one on the chart. Then go back and insert each wafer and spring in the correct slot, insert key and insert tumbler into the outer housing.

If you have a slot without any good fitting wafers, just leave it empty.

That should do it and you will quickly get the idea how everything works as you build the sequence of wafers.
willieg
QUOTE(mepstein @ May 2 2020, 10:42 PM) *

I have figured out the correct combo by trial and error. Try the each of the different styles of wafers- there are 4 types. Number each type 1-4 and make a pile of each. Try number 1 in slot 1, insert key. If wafer it flush with the tumbler with the key inserted, it’s the correct one. If it’s a mm high or low, take it out and try 2,3 or 4 until one of them is flush. Make a chart. Slot 1 = wafer 1,2,3 or 4. Repeat for each slot and mark down each one on the chart. Then go back and insert each wafer and spring in the correct slot, insert key and insert tumbler into the outer housing.

If you have a slot without any good fitting wafers, just leave it empty.

That should do it and you will quickly get the idea how everything works as you build the sequence of wafers.

Try "keys4classics.com". They sell wafers and springs.
TheCabinetmaker
Send it to me. I'll fix it for ya.
mepstein
If you need a couple springs, PM me your address and I’ll mail you some.
Morph914
Thanks for all the replies and offers, I am determined and find it a fun challenge to figure these types of things out.
The half hour I spent on my hands and knees looking for the spring must have looked funny to those passing by my shop.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.