Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Picking away @ small jobs...leaking speedo drive?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
porschetub
As per question,don't want to change oil because it pisses out the hole due to wrong tilt...thinking full extension on my bigger jackstands ??.
TIA.
RickS
Get it up as high as possible. If you have some 2x6 pieces to put under your jackstands, use them too. Keep a couple of rags handy. One to plug the hole as fast as you can before much can drain out and one to clean the floor. You have to move fast.
Mikey914
2.7 qts is the quantity for complete refill, I've heard it can be done without loosing much, but have yet to see it. Love to see you show us how it's done. beer3.gif

I've just resolved to change it.

PS I sent out new seals to everyone so if you have the brown Viton one on the bushing change it out to the new black one as it will be easier to install. The Viton is harder making it more difficult.
It was mailed in a manila envelope.
framos914
Got the new seal in the mail but 2 days too late.
I did have a hard time installing the bushing with the brown seal.
Might have to do it again since a small piece of the brown seal got sheared off.
Lost just a small amount of oil, raised it high on passenger side and plugged the hole with a rag real fast. Make sure you have a pan or bucket underneath.
Tdskip
I’m thinking we have a new challenge here – let’s see who can change it with the least amount of oil lost!
infraredcalvin
Ok dumb question and no pics cause I’m at the office. Yesterday I got the package. It came with the new shaft with o rings (2) installed. There was a small rubber gasket also included.... where does that go? I don’t recall this coming out when I swapped my last shaft...
porschetub
Ok so its basically a no go then ,I will just drain it ,fitted the 914rubber replacement seal but it hasn't lasted long.
Might do the cable also as I have a new one beer.gif .

dax1969
QUOTE(infraredcalvin @ May 5 2020, 08:39 PM) *

Ok dumb question and no pics cause I’m at the office. Yesterday I got the package. It came with the new shaft with o rings (2) installed. There was a small rubber gasket also included.... where does that go? I don’t recall this coming out when I swapped my last shaft...

Got mine yesterday as well.... understood the wrong brown seal is on but Mark promised to send me one. In my package there was no small rubber gasket ... can you post a pic pls ? Do I need it ? Why are packages different ?

thks
Dax

Click to view attachment
Mikey914
That looks like black seal. the brown is really brown, and a distinctly different color. That would be why you only have the one. We corrected and just sent you what you need.

I'll post up pics today when I hit the shop
infraredcalvin
Click to view attachment

This is the little guy I mentioned, it’s harder rubber.
infraredcalvin
Now that I’ve got it in hand, assuming it goes like this, inside the bushing...

Click to view attachment
SO.O.C914er
I have the brown one and still waiting to hear/see a replacement. My money is spent is sitting on my work bench. headbang.gif
Mikey914
QUOTE(infraredcalvin @ May 6 2020, 04:37 PM) *

Click to view attachment

You are correct that is the orientation. The seal we put out that we sent the replacement on id the one that we added. The thin one.
infraredcalvin
Installed! No drama, will check for leaks in the next few days...
dax1969
QUOTE(Mikey914 @ May 7 2020, 04:24 AM) *

Click to view attachment

You are correct that is the orientation. The seal we put out that we sent the replacement on id the one that we added. The thin one.

Mikey, in my package there was no such rubber sad.gif

krgds
Dax
914e
QUOTE(Tdskip @ May 5 2020, 11:32 AM) *

I’m thinking we have a new challenge here – let’s see who can change it with the least amount of oil lost!

I was expecting to lose some but didn't lose any, because it was already over a quart low. I picked up gear oil last night to top it off. After I get it running again I plan on driving it around a few days then replacing the gear oil.
porschetub
QUOTE(dax1969 @ May 7 2020, 06:27 PM) *

QUOTE(Mikey914 @ May 7 2020, 04:24 AM) *

Click to view attachment

Mikey, in my package there was no such rubber sad.gif

krgds
Dax

How common is it for the lip seal to fail ?..thinking that could be my issue idea.gif .
Mikey914
There is no lip seal in the OEM, so my answer is all of them have. It's a poor design, hence the additional seal we added.
porschetub
QUOTE(Mikey914 @ May 8 2020, 09:42 AM) *

There is no lip seal in the OEM, so my answer is all of them have. It's a poor design, hence the additional seal we added.

Sorry but confused,not talking about O-rings but the small lip seal shown in the pic,are you saying that not fitted to the factory part and only to the one you sell?.
beerchug.gif .
Mikey914
Sorry my misunderstanding when you said lip seal I assumed you meant the o ring on the bottom that sits just inside the lip.

The internal seal can leak, for the most part they aren't under any real pressure, so not a bad call to change out every 70-100k.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.