Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: How to wire up an early 911 turn signal switch into a 914-4 harness
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
ClayPerrine
Step 1. Buy these:

1980 Porsche 911SC Female Housing, 14 Pin

1983 Porsche 911SC Pin, Female 14 Pin Connector (you need 14 of these)

1969 Porsche 911 Lid, 14 Pin Plug

1969 Porsche 911 14 Pin Plug Male Kit

Why Porsche chose to provide a kit for the Male plug, but make you purchase all of the pieces for the female connector separately we will never know.

2. Remove the connectors from the ends of the wires on the turn signal switch. Don't remove the one on the switch end Brown/White wire. That connects to the back of the horn wiper ring.

3. Strip the insulation off the wires, and solder on the pins for the MALE connector. You don't want to use the female end, because some of those wires can be hot with 12v if you use the male connector on the chassis harness side.

4. Put the pins into the bottom of the male connector. Make notes of the wire color associated with each pin number.

5. Install the top on the connector.

6. Remove the beam relay and disconnect the wires. There is a large yellow wire and a small yellow wire. Strip and solder on female pins to the large yellow, white and red/white wires. The small yellow wire is not going to be used.

7. Remove the plug that connects to the turn signal/wiper switches. The wires that connected to the wiper switch are not going to be used any more.
Note: I like to take the time to completely remove the wires from the harness, but it is OK to leave them there. Just tape them off so they don't short anything.

8. Strip and solder the remaining female pins onto the brown/white, black/white, black/white/green, black/green, grey/red, grey/brown, grey, and red.white wires.

9. Install the female pins into the female connector base. Make sure you match the connections with the wires in the male connector. I like to put the female base on the male connector and install the pins to match.

10. Install the cover on the female connector.

11. Test the wiring. Make sure the turn signals work, the low and high beams work and make sure the park light lights on one side with the key off and the turn signal engaged.

12. Last and most important step. Have a beer and celebrate!

Here is a chart of the wire connections for your reference.

Click to view attachment

mb911
Thanks so much.. Its on order.. Still have to figure out wiper switch but that is likely more direct
ClayPerrine
QUOTE(mb911 @ May 8 2020, 04:48 PM) *

Thanks so much.. Its on order.. Still have to figure out wiper switch but that is likely more direct

Early 911/914-6. No connections inside the car. the end of the wiring terminates in what looks like a relay socket mounted in the front wall. The wiper motor has a plug to match. Only two wires to connect, power and ground.

ClayPerrine
And if you run into any problems with the wiring, let me know.

Clay
mb911
Sounds good.. Thanks
GregAmy
What's the advantage of the 911 one?
mb911
QUOTE(GregAmy @ May 9 2020, 08:52 AM) *

What's the advantage of the 911 one?

Left hand ignition setup.
mb911
@ClayPerrine my beam relay has a yellow with Red tracer (small) would that be the same as the small yellow? I am assuming so..
ClayPerrine
QUOTE(mb911 @ May 10 2020, 02:37 PM) *

@ClayPerrine my beam relay has a yellow with Red tracer (small) would that be the same as the small yellow? I am assuming so..

Yes. That is unused with the 911 switch. It goes from the /4 turn signal switch to the relay to make the relay change from low to high beams.

mb911
So this bundle of wires won't get used? Click to view attachment
ClayPerrine
QUOTE(mb911 @ May 13 2020, 08:20 PM) *

So this bundle of wires won't get used? Click to view attachment

Nope.. Those are all for the wiper switch. The 914-6 wiper switch has a completely different connection.

The wiper switch has a connection that matches this:

Click to view attachment

It fits into the round hole behind the insturment cluster, and is connected to the spade connectors on the wiper switch. One lead will go to 12v+ and one will go to ground.

You can scavenge the connector off of an old harness or buy one new. I would get a new one.

Clay
mb911
This is harness side and must have plugged into the wiper switch prior?
ClayPerrine
QUOTE(mb911 @ May 14 2020, 02:32 PM) *

This is harness side and must have plugged into the wiper switch prior?

Yes. The 911 or 914/6 wiper switches will already have the connector that fits this on the wires.

mepstein
Thank you Clay beerchug.gif
mb911
Ok done and done meaning soldered ends, had a beer.. Now I have no headlights except when I pull the lever as if to pass someone.. There are no turn signals either.. I did determine I have no power to the large yellow wire on the harness.. If I jumper 12v to that I get headlights then go on..

mb911
Well plot thickens.. Found out the yellow wire was not hot because it is only getting 12v when the ignition switch is turned to start. Will work on that tomorrow
mb911
Problem semi solved.. Was not getting 12v to the yellow wire for the headlights because of the 911 ignition switch.. I have that solved.. I do not have blinkers or high beams but I have flashers which is odd.
ClayPerrine
Ben,
I haven't forgotten about you. I spent the weekend in the garage fixing a BMW motor for our 540i.

I will get back to you later today on next troubleshooting steps.

Clay
ClayPerrine
Ben,

Do you have low beams?

Do you have park lights?

PM me for my phone number and we can work with it on Saturday.

Clay
Mark Henry
Thanks Clay bookmarked this thread.

I think I have the harnesses for the turn and wiper switches, but I'm missing the big round connector for the ignition switch I have.
mb911
QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ May 20 2020, 04:54 PM) *

Ben,

Do you have low beams?

Do you have park lights?

Clay

Clay,

I have low beams now that I got power to the yellow wire.. I have high beams only when I pull the switch back as if signalling to pass..

Will pm you.. Thanks again.
ClayPerrine
QUOTE(mb911 @ May 21 2020, 07:57 AM) *

Ben,

Do you have low beams?

Do you have park lights?

Clay

Clay,

I have low beams now that I got power to the yellow wire.. I have high beams only when I pull the switch back as if signalling to pass..

Did you try pushing the switch forward?

Clay
mb911
QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ May 21 2020, 09:32 AM) *

Ben,

Do you have low beams?

Do you have park lights?

Clay

Clay,

Clay

Yes nothing changes
ClayPerrine
QUOTE(mb911 @ May 21 2020, 01:21 PM) *

QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ May 21 2020, 09:32 AM) *

Ben,

Do you have low beams?

Do you have park lights?

Clay

Clay,

Clay

Yes nothing changes

Sounds like you have a couple of wires swapped in the connector.

I will call you this weekend and we can work on it together.

For the rest of you, I will update the thread when we get Ben's working.

Clay
mb911
I am still suspicious that the 911 ignition switch may have eliminated some power source to the harness on the chassis side.
mb911
@superhawk996
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.