Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: How to replace fan belt...HELP!
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Ampex351
I've had this little car a week now and it's killing me because the first day I drove it home the fan belt came off. I coud hear it thrashing around in there but I have no clue as to what is the proper method of getting at it to replace it. Any info to refer to? Do any of you know how to get the belt on? I'd love to go driving!!!

Thanks, Roger
simonjb
I just did this yesterday.

First you need to loosen the top adjustment bolt on the alternator and that will allow you to pivot the alternator up and towards the fan. I also had to get under the car and loosen the bottom pivot bolt as it was so tight that I could not pivot the alternator. PIA as I had to remove some of the heating connections. Once I loosened the bottom pivot I pushed the alternator up and towards the fan and then tightened the bottom pivot bolt to hold it there while I put the belt on. There are two entry point holes/covers in the top side sheet metal that let you get to the top bolt.

Key to fan belt I found is place belt around fan and then start it on the alternator. Then using a size 22 wrench I turned the alternator pulley as I pushed against the belt and it road up and on to the pulley.

Then I slightly loosened the bottom pivot bolt and went top side again. I used a long screw driver to push down on the alternator to get the proper belt tension and at the same time I tightened the top adjustment bolt.

Finally I went below and tightened the pivot bolt slightly - but not too much so that next time it should just pivot after I loosen the top adjustment bolt.
GregAmy
welcome.png

First result from a search: http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=38596
Ampex351
QUOTE(simonjb @ May 9 2020, 11:46 AM) *

I just did this yesterday.

First you need to loosen the top adjustment bolt on the alternator and that will allow you to pivot the alternator up and towards the fan. I also had to get under the car and loosen the bottom pivot bolt as it was so tight that I could not pivot the alternator. PIA as I had to remove some of the heating connections. Once I loosened the bottom pivot I pushed the alternator up and towards the fan and then tightened the bottom pivot bolt to hold it there while I put the belt on. There are two entry point holes/covers in the top side sheet metal that let you get to the top bolt.

Key to fan belt I found is place belt around fan and then start it on the alternator. Then using a size 22 wrench I turned the alternator pulley as I pushed against the belt and it road up and on to the pulley.

Then I slightly loosened the bottom pivot bolt and went top side again. I used a long screw driver to push down on the alternator to get the proper belt tension and at the same time I tightened the top adjustment bolt.

Finally I went below and tightened the pivot bolt slightly - but not too much so that next time it should just pivot after I loosen the top adjustment bolt.

Ampex351
QUOTE(Ampex351 @ May 9 2020, 11:27 AM) *

I've had this little car a week now and it's killing me because the first day I drove it home the fan belt came off. I coud hear it thrashing around in there but I have no clue as to what is the proper method of getting at it to replace it. Any info to refer to? Do any of you know how to get the belt on? I'd love to go driving!!!

Thanks, Roger

Do I jack up the car from under the engine or the side? I have an opportunity to take it in to a shop with a lift next week and have a mechanic look at it. He's never done it before but said he would figure it out. Just wish it was do-able in my own garage.

Roger
Bleyseng
Yes, just jack it up on the drivers side and use a jack stand !! Safety first. Its easy to then get under to loosen the nut on the bottom of the alt. You need a allen head or hex to loosen the top bolt after removing the access little plastic covers if they are even there. (order some from 914Rubber). The belt needs to be able to flex up and down about a 1" of slack. Too loose and it will come off. Check the condition of the belt too and make sure its the right size. (Same as a VW bus 72-79)
Ampex351
QUOTE(Bleyseng @ May 9 2020, 12:37 PM) *

Yes, just jack it up on the drivers side and use a jack stand !! Safety first. Its easy to then get under to loosen the nut on the bottom of the alt. You need a allen head or hex to loosen the top bolt after removing the access little plastic covers if they are even there. (order some from 914Rubber). The belt needs to be able to flex up and down about a 1" of slack. Too loose and it will come off. Check the condition of the belt too and make sure its the right size. (Same as a VW bus 72-79)

Do I access those little covers from underneath?
simonjb
QUOTE(Ampex351 @ May 9 2020, 11:56 AM) *

No - they are on top - black plastic oblong
Ampex351
QUOTE(simonjb @ May 9 2020, 01:43 PM) *

QUOTE(Ampex351 @ May 9 2020, 11:56 AM) *

No - they are on top - black plastic oblong

Thanks everyone, I appreciate the insight.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.