Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 72' Tailshifter Tranny Bummer
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Flat VW
Hello to all,

Well my daily driver is down, stuck in reverse. ohmy.gif

My garage, after a consult with a more knowing outfit, says the tranny is junk. sad.gif

Please note, my garage says it is not the linkage that is jammed, but that it is jammed within the transaxle itself.....

Comments, Questions, Suggestions?

Thanks in advance,

John unsure.gif

ClayPerrine
Put the car on a lift.

Remove the shift linkage.

Unhook the tranny mounts and drop the rear of the tranny downward, with the tranny case sitting on a pole jack.

Remove the tail housing.

Pull the gearstack and inspect.

Take lots of pictures.

Post pictures here so we can help.

rhodyguy
before you go ANY futher. drain the gear lube and remove the the small access plate on the bottom of the rear of the trans. there is a triple rolled pin that connects a selector to a shaft. when the pin goes completely away you can't change gears. have a catch pan ready as some lube will come out. if it's the pin order 2 (one for a spare) and a new gasket.

k
Flat VW
QUOTE (rhodyguy @ Jul 8 2005, 07:19 AM)
before you go ANY futher. drain the gear lube and remove the the small access plate on the bottom of the rear of the trans. there is a triple rolled pin that connects a selector to a shaft. when the pin goes completely away you can't change gears. have a catch pan ready as some lube will come out. if it's the pin order 2 (one for a spare) and a new gasket.

k

From your computer to God's ear.

John
jr91472
listen to Clay....

From the perspective of paying someone to do it for you, it is junk. But you can do this yourself......take it apart and take pictures. wink.gif

beer.gif
ClayPerrine
Actually check the pin in the tailshifter linkage. It's been a long time since i dealt with a tailshifter and I forgot that. If the pin is ok, pull the stuff like I suggested in the other post.

We can walk you through the fixes. All you need is a digital camera and some faith in your fellow club members.

Flat VW
QUOTE (ClayPerrine @ Jul 8 2005, 06:10 PM)
Actually check the pin in the tailshifter linkage. It's been a long time since i dealt with a tailshifter and I forgot that. If the pin is ok, pull the stuff like I suggested in the other post.

We can walk you through the fixes. All you need is a digital camera and some faith in your fellow club members.

Thanks, Clay, Jr, others,

I have to work thruout the weekend and also need the car towed back here but I am up to give it a go, perhaps next week.

THX,

John

Trevorg7
I'd have to agree with rhodyguy. I have a '72 and when downshiftig from 5th to 4th at freeway speed I lost every gear. Turned out to be the roll pin. The DPO had put in a threaded bolt that sheered. I was able to get a new roll pin from HPH and installed through the rear access plate, with a new gasket, in about an hour.

Hope this helps. Good luck.

Trevor
rhodyguy
i can't stress getting the triple rolled pin enough. the single or double rolled won't do the job for long. note the orientation of the selector. don't ask rolleyes.gif . i was glad i ordered 2. you will prob need a small punch to get the remains of the pin out.

k
Flat VW
QUOTE (rhodyguy @ Jul 8 2005, 06:55 PM)
i can't stress getting the triple rolled pin enough. the single or double rolled won't do the job for long. note the orientation of the selector. don't ask rolleyes.gif . i was glad i ordered 2. you will prob need a small punch to get the remains of the pin out.

k

Yes, Rhodyguy,

I will check it out, as soon as I am done stareing at Lyressa!! smilie_pokal.gif

Well, next week actually,

Thanks again,

John
9144guy
just had a 915 tranny that did the same thing, it would stick in 2 gears at the same time. took fork plate off twice and un-jamed it ,then pulled trans..(its a 78 911) ..and found the detents were not installed properly a while back and finaly showed throgh
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.