Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: engine oil Galley plugs
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
02loftsmoor
need some help ,
how many oil galley plugs are there? two on the front and two at the rear of the engine??
thanks in advance

WesClick to view attachment Click to view attachment idea.gif
Tbrown4x4
More like 7 or 8. I'll have to look at my case, but there are 2 or 3 on the flywheel end, 1 on the passenger side, 2 on the front, and 2 to the oil cooler. I'm not sure if people replace all of them with threaded plugs or not, but mine are.
BeatNavy
You can do all of them, but I think most people do the 5 larger ones -- the ones that are most susceptible to blowing (the smaller ones apparently not).

Here's a good reference which ones:
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?s=&...t&p=1275897
Superhawk996
QUOTE(BeatNavy @ May 12 2020, 07:19 AM) *

You can do all of them, but I think most people do the 5 larger ones -- the ones that are most susceptible to blowing (the smaller ones apparently not).

Here's a good reference which ones:
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?s=&...t&p=1275897

There are 11 in total.

I know in my situation, out of the two cases I have, at least one of the small plugs was loose and showed evidence of weeping. It took very little force to pull that one out vs. the majority of the others.

Photos of many of them are at this thread pages 3 & 4:
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...38513&st=60
Tbrown4x4
Thanks for posting that. Now I can just go home and go to bed! I forgot about a few of those. It's been a while. haha
02loftsmoor
So from what I'm looking at , just replace the bigger plugs,,
Mark Henry
QUOTE(02loftsmoor @ May 12 2020, 10:09 AM) *

So from what I'm looking at , just replace the bigger plugs,,

Yes, only the big 5, I've never seen any of the small plugs leak, just the big ones.
I had a customer who tried to do the others, he drilled into the totally wrong area of the relief and ruined a good 2.0 case.
02loftsmoor
Thank you every one.
now isn't there an updated oil pressure release valve?
BeatNavy
Chris Foley at Tangerine Racing sells one. On this page: http://www.tangerineracing.com/engine.htm
02loftsmoor
drilled and tapped Click to view attachmentClick to view attachment
Mark Henry
Good job thumb3d.gif
The hole on the left first pic you have to make sure the plug sits close to flush or it will hit the flywheel, At the same time you need to take care not drill in too far, but it's OK if the threads (not the plug!) reach the first small galley. The plug can only sit about an 1/8" proud.

Superhawk996
yikes.gif Didn't realize you were drilling and tapping on an assembled engine.

Please clean those galleys out very carfully to ensure no swarf has entered the galley. Maybe with a long car detailing Q-tips with oil on the cotton end to help "grab" any debris?

Mark Henry
BTW the 2nd pic the right (top) hole is where you would install a 90 degree street elbow if doing a full flow system.
For race or upper tier performance cars usually for running a front cooler. You would plug the pump and use a T1 full flow cover, remote filter, etc.
Mark Henry
QUOTE(Superhawk996 @ May 23 2020, 12:53 PM) *

Please clean those galleys out very carfully to ensure no swarf has entered the galley. Maybe with a long car detailing Q-tips with oil on the cotton end to help "grab" any debris?

I've done this many times, grease the tap and clean it often. I always warn that it could go bad, but I've never lost an engine. Besides the repair is often for a plug leak or blow out, so either way the engine is fuched.
Cleaning the tap is key, never counted but I likely clean and re-grease 10 times per hole.
02loftsmoor
QUOTE(Mark Henry @ May 23 2020, 12:11 PM) *

QUOTE(Superhawk996 @ May 23 2020, 12:53 PM) *

I've done this many times, grease the tap and clean it often. I always warn that it could go bad, but I've never lost an engine. Besides the repair is often for a plug leak or blow out, so either way the engine is fuched.
Cleaning the tap is key, never counted but I likely clean and re-grease 10 times per hole.

I'm using compressed. get those little barnacles out there
02loftsmoor
QUOTE(Mark Henry @ May 23 2020, 11:51 AM) *

Good job thumb3d.gif
The hole on the left first pic you have to make sure the plug sits close to flush or it will hit the flywheel, At the same time you need to take care not drill in too far, but it's OK if the threads (not the plug!) reach the first small galley. The plug can only sit about an 1/8" proud.

i was wondering about that, i will watch out
02loftsmoor
QUOTE(02loftsmoor @ May 23 2020, 04:53 PM) *

QUOTE(Mark Henry @ May 23 2020, 11:51 AM) *

Good job thumb3d.gif

i was wondering about that, i will watch out

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Mark Henry
Flywheel 1/2 side plug still looks too proud and may touch the flywheel.
02loftsmoor
QUOTE(Mark Henry @ May 24 2020, 10:18 AM) *

I will me watching for that on assembly, thank you for the tip!!!!
Mark Henry
QUOTE(02loftsmoor @ May 24 2020, 11:24 AM) *

Time to fix this is now. smile.gif Stick the flywheel on now, don't worry about a seal yet, check the plug and it will be hitting

You can grind a bit off the two ends of the plug, but only so much on the hex drive end.
The NPT thread is a taper thread so you will have to drill and tap the hole deeper, so the plug will sit in deeper. This is the hole that makes me prefer steel plugs, because steel has the strongest hex drive.
I don't like Teflon sealant (on plugs) as you could over torque and crack the bung, never seen this with the T4 but I've seen this with T1 cases. I use green locktite.
Bartlett 914
QUOTE(02loftsmoor @ May 23 2020, 11:14 AM) *

What tap are you using? Is this a standard pipe tap or is this a shorter version of one
02loftsmoor
QUOTE(Bartlett 914 @ May 24 2020, 02:48 PM) *

QUOTE(02loftsmoor @ May 23 2020, 11:14 AM) *

What tap are you using? Is this a standard pipe tap or is this a shorter version of one

bottom NPT 3/8"
02loftsmoor
QUOTE(Mark Henry @ May 24 2020, 12:40 PM) *

QUOTE(02loftsmoor @ May 24 2020, 11:24 AM) *

Time to fix this is now. smile.gif Stick the flywheel on now, don't worry about a seal yet, check the plug and it will be hitting

You can grind a bit off the two ends of the plug, but only so much on the hex drive end.
The NPT thread is a taper thread so you will have to drill and tap the hole deeper, so the plug will sit in deeper. This is the hole that makes me prefer steel plugs, because steel has the strongest hex drive.
I don't like Teflon sealant (on plugs) as you could over torque and crack the bung, never seen this with the T4 but I've seen this with T1 cases. I use green locktite.

I did take some off the plug , I was touching the fly wheel, ground it off
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.