Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: fuel tank question 1972 w/ 2.0 d-jet
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
buck toenges
If I put 2 gallons of fuel in my gas tank nothing leaks. When I put 12 gallons in it leaks. It drips from the bottom. I took out the tank and changed out the hoses from tank to ss fuel lines. I assumed I hadn't tighten the fuel hoses properly. I am using FI hose clamps. I even changed out a fuel pipe from the tank to make sure I had the bigger 9mm(10)mm fuel pipe on the one side of the fuel tank. When I put in 2 gallons no leaks. When I filled up the tank and drove for 20 minutes and parked I got a big gas puddle under the car.

Could I have a leak somewhere else on the fuel tank other then where the fuel hoses connect? Is there pressure from the FI system that may be pressurizing the tank too much? Any thoughts?

I am thinking about getting a new Dansk fuel tank. I see them listed as 1974-1976. Will they work for a '72 car? Who has the best price for these new repro tanks.

Thanks,
Buck
ClayPerrine
QUOTE(buck toenges @ May 12 2020, 05:17 PM) *

If I put 2 gallons of fuel in my gas tank nothing leaks. When I put 12 gallons in it leaks. It drips from the bottom. I took out the tank and changed out the hoses from tank to ss fuel lines. I assumed I hadn't tighten the fuel hoses properly. I am using FI hose clamps. I even changed out a fuel pipe from the tank to make sure I had the bigger 9mm(10)mm fuel pipe on the one side of the fuel tank. When I put in 2 gallons no leaks. When I filled up the tank and drove for 20 minutes and parked I got a big gas puddle under the car.

Could I have a leak somewhere else on the fuel tank other then where the fuel hoses connect? Is there pressure from the FI system that may be pressurizing the tank too much? Any thoughts?

I am thinking about getting a new Dansk fuel tank. I see them listed as 1974-1976. Will they work for a '72 car? Who has the best price for these new repro tanks.

Thanks,
Buck

Buck,
I have been there, done that. Check the tank where it rests on the carpet pads. Those pads trap water and rust the tank. Eventually, it will get to the point that the gas will seep through the porous metal where the carpet pads are located.

All you can do is install a replacement tank.

Clay

mepstein
Common problem on these 50 year old cars.
brant
tank is rusted out.
the rust hole is high enough up the side (at the carpet pads likely) that it takes 12 gallons to bring the fuel level up to the rust hole.

you'll need a new tank
expensive to ship... best to find something local
Superhawk996
QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ May 13 2020, 01:36 PM) *

All you can do is install a replacement tank.

Clay

Are you kidding? You haven't lived until you've welded on a gas tank! tooth.gif

You may only live for a few seconds if you fail to prep it properly. It can be done. I've done it on motorcycle tanks and know those that have done it on vintage car gas tanks.

However, given the ready supply of good 914 tanks both in new and donor form, Clay is right - replacment is the better option.
jfort
been there. i had a shop weld on it. didn't get cleaned well enough after the repair. my fault. but i got tired of cleaning out my idle jets and bought a new tank at Stoddards. Very reasonable I thought. Should have just done that in the first place.
Jamie
Yes, buy a new tank. I had one cleaned out and coated, later found I could have bought a new tank for less than the cost of repairs, which removed all the attachment mounts for the charcoal canister and expansion tank
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.