Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 6 conversion
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Andyrew
Ya I know this topic has been used and abused, But what all is needed to convert to a 6? I have a lead on an engine,
1969 911E, 1991cc, 140hp @ 6500rpm
engine # 6190562
case magnesium 901.101.101 2R
901.101.102 1R
mechanical fuel injection

What would be a good deal on that engine? what all would be needed to convert? How much would it take? what would be machined? Are there any "pre assymbled kits" I should know about? Any other questions I forgot? tongue.gif Thanks

Andrew
Mueller
Are you serious??? I'm sure your insurance (as well as your dads) is high enough already smile.gif
Andyrew
Im planning for the future, Yes my insurance is high!! Its 1600 (after looking, I was planning on spending this much for my car) to be insured on my dads car while I get my car running. Took a long drive over to Der Cupmeisters house and back, Boy it was fun driving a manual again!! (been stuck with my moms galant while preparing for my license). Come on guys how much did it take you guys to do an engine swap?
Lawrence
There are several good threads in the archives on /6 conversion costs and ideas.

I'll dig around and see if I can find them - they'd be good candidates for Classic Threads Forum.
seanery
The mechanical injection on that should be nice. With the right cam and heads they put out nice power!

If you wanted to sell it, they fetch decent money.
mightyohm
Mechanical fuel injection is cool, and it sounds awesome.... but it can be a PITA to get set up right. I spent over a year tweaking the setup on my 72 911T while I had it. I have heard that getting to all the adjustments on a 914 is hard and requires drilling some access holes etc.

I probably would not do MFI on a 914 unless I had all the parts lying around already and I knew they were in good shape. Rebuilds on the pump and the throttle bodies are very expensive. Figure $1500+ for the pump and $800+ for the TBs.
Bleyseng
Besides the motor, about $4500 in parts. Flywheel, oil tank, hoses, on and on. Brad posted a list at one time which should be in the FAQ section.

Geoff
Joe Bob
Ummmm, Insurance don't care if the 914 is a 4 or a 6....looked around for the hell of it.....if you have a b-in-law that sells insurance, use the asshole.... tongue.gif

As to costs....how much ya got????
Andyrew
Thanks Geof, just what I needed.

Mike, Consider my bank dry.. I have about 300 spare $$ right now , and Thats going into getting the car on the road, the rest of my money im going to keep for insurance for a while.. I was just thinkin of gettin the engine, and gathering the parts till I have the budget and time for a proper engine swap..

Thanks guys
campbellcj
Isn't the MFI pump drive a beotch in a 914 installation? I think you have to run the belt up thru the sheetmetal and then you also have to figure out how to get the preheater lashup to connect to a -6 exhaust, if you want the car to run decently at all before it's fully warmed up. I know a few guys have gotten MFI motors to work in conversion cars but there have gotta be special issues compared to your common Weber/CIS/Motronic flavors.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.