Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: car wont start after hot
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Dmidco914
1974 1.8 original car dual carbs. After it is used for one to two hours the car will not start. I let it sit and it works fine. Last time all my gauges went dead and the car died. including radio, fuel gauge and volt meter gauge. I have replaced the key switch and the ignition switch, also new starter and battery. relays are all good and seem to work. any ideas?
914_7T3
welcome.png

See @Mark Henry ‘s solution here

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=308904
KELTY360
Check your battery cable. May be corroded inside insulation where you can’t see it. If it’s hot it will increase resistance from battery.
Mark Henry
QUOTE(Dmidco914 @ May 16 2020, 06:20 PM) *

1974 1.8 original car dual carbs. After it is used for one to two hours the car will not start. I let it sit and it works fine. Last time all my gauges went dead and the car died. including radio, fuel gauge and volt meter gauge. I have replaced the key switch and the ignition switch, also new starter and battery. relays are all good and seem to work. any ideas?

Although the first part suggests a hot start issue, the passage in bold is some kind of ground issue to me, my ford solenoid fix won't fix a ground issue.
What it helps with is resistance in the old wiring, multiple connections, switch and relays and the resulting drop in voltage to the Bosch starter solenoid.

Check and clean your tranny ground strap, battery terminal connections, ground cable body lug, engine harness ground lug (below relay console), etc. If still having issues then you have to start tracing the wiring. Also spin all your fuses in the fuse block, sometimes (often) the holders corrode enough to cause connectivity issues.
After all the wiring and grounds are sorted if you still have a hot start issue then my fix may help you.
Ansbacher
Flaky alternator, maybe..??..

Ansbacher
yellowporky
My first 914 had dual carbs and suffered this same thing.
From what I was told was that when the fuel injection is removed so are some of the grounds and the fix was to add another engine to body ground.
I did this from where the battery negative attaches to the body and to An open bolt hole on the fan shroud. It solved my issue.
This is cheap and easy so I hope it helps
Chris
Dmidco914

Thanks everybody.
VaccaRabite
QUOTE(Dmidco914 @ May 18 2020, 12:21 PM) *

Thanks everybody.

Still add a solinoid to remove the strain and voltage drop from all the starting current going through the ignition switch. This was a stupid design from the factory and should never have been made this way.
barf.gif bs.gif

Zach
MartyYeoman
agree.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.