Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 930 shifting?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
MikeP
I'm weighing Trans options for my v8 right now and I'm hearing that the 930 shifts like stromberg.gif
Anybody have experience with them?
ArtechnikA
the only detrimental thing i've heard is that since it is a 4-speed the gates are not well defined, and there are not a lot of aftermarket "spring-centering" shifters (like the RennShift) available for them.

but i've never driven one, so i can't say for sure.
john rogers
We own a 1987 930 and I learned to shift it slow and easy since it was designed for lots of power but not a lot of speed. My 901 in the race car shifts better, but it can't handle 400 or more HP!
BIGKAT_83
These people are working on transaxles for the street mid engine after market (pantras and kit cars) They don't have any listed on the website,but will be making a 5 speed for the street.
Better start saving because it will be expensive.

TRANSAXLE

Bob
John
I may just be used to it, but my stock 1983 930 shifts just fine.

1st gear is sometimes tough to get into unless the car is stopped. I just be gentle while shifting the gears and it does well. If you try FORCING it, the car does not shift well. If you take your time and use only moderate pressure, it shifts very well.

I have never shifted a 930 transmission modified for use in a 914.
nine14cats
Hi Mike,

I had a 1988 930 that had the 4 speed in it. I swapped it for a 915 to shorten the ratios for the street!......

Anyway...the 930 I had was pretty easy to shift, except for getting it into first. Normally I had to double clutch it. In my opinion, it was fine to shift, but not as quick as the 915 or 901. Gear ratio wise, the RH 901 tall unit I have for JLO is almost identical in gearing to the 930 box.

As far as linkage, RH and Jerry Woods likes to use a cable set up, while Rod Simpson has a low cost linkage that is very similar to the factory tail shift 901 linkage. I've talked to Rod about it and he likes the his low cost solution utilizing the shift rod versus a cable.

Thanks,

Bill P.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.