Been a busy few years, but sadly not on the 914. It's once again covered in dust. This fall I picked up a Honda C70 passport that was in pretty rough shape and got it back running and looking good again.

Click to view attachment

I had so much fun working evenings and weekends on that bike. It was a good mix of mechanical tasks and cosmetic work. But I knew that I'd enjoy working on the 914 just as much. It's easier for me to lose momentum on the 914 because of the scale, and also because I care so much more about getting it just right. But there is only one way to eat an elephant, so I'm back at it.

Its strange reading some of the earlier posts or digging through the boxes of parts, because I have almost no memory of some of it. But all this time what has been front of mind are two leftover washers from the wiper mechanism install. They aren't called out in the PET, but I remember figuring out a few years back where they went and making a mental note to install them. Fortunately, the airbox wasn't fully installed and the posts can be maneuvered out of the hood without removing the dash bolt. So today, the washers are in and my brain can rest easy.

Click to view attachment

I also rekeyed the ignition, front and rear hood keys using a set of wafers that must have arrived from keys4classics about the time I stopped working on the project. I have no record of the original key code for my car, and know it was re-keyed at some point. So I bought a set of oem keys on ebay, then ordered wafers to fit that code - so that all the locks match a known baseline. I vaguely remembered that there was something wrong with my ignition lock mechanism, and found that I had sourced a donor (another "problem" as this project stretches on - I don't know what parts I already have lying around). So now, after 3 years, the ignition cylinder is back in the car. Also got the rear trunk mechanism re-assembled and installed.

Click to view attachment Click to view attachment

With the rekeyed release handle, I installed a new cable for the front hood release. On my first attempt a few years ago, with 914rubber supplied wire and housing, I had introduced some bends in the line that I then blamed for the very high pull force required to release the latch. So this time I was very careful, and used a new oem cable assembly. But even with a cable that I am sure has no deformation, it still requires very high cable force to release.

A final item on my mind has been a mistake I made removing a stuck bearing from one of the wheel hubs. Circumstances are hazy, but I know i had to cut it off, and clumsily ended up cutting into the machined surface. I blended it with a file and at the time thought it wasn't too bad - and looking at it today it isn't as deep as I recall. But still, wondering if it is worth finding a replacement - or would it be fine running as is?

Click to view attachment

-Derek