Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: SpeedHut gauge panel, possible limited run - Any interest?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
dakotaewing
I would really like one too !?

PM works good to discuss -
Tdskip
What an awesome thread!
914-300Hemi
I would like one in black.
Alain V.
If I'm not too late,,,,,
I'll buy one in aluminum from ya. (painted black is fine)

This will work great for my speedhuts, when I do my subie conversion on my 72.
anglophone1
I have the same Sppedhut tach ( with a custom dial ) in my 911 hot rod- shift light is very cool!
I have just bought a 914 as my birthday present and would be very interested in this setup for it.
More info- prices etc. Please!
C
anglophone1
QUOTE(anglophone1 @ Oct 2 2020, 04:05 PM) *

I have the same Sppedhut tach ( with a custom dial ) in my 911 hot rod- shift light is very cool!
I have just bought a 914 as my birthday present and would be very interested in this setup for it.
C

anglophone1
QUOTE(anglophone1 @ Oct 2 2020, 04:05 PM) *

C

anglophone1
Sorry about last duplicate posts- can’t work out how to delete
pdlightning
QUOTE(sixnotfour @ Jun 25 2020, 12:01 AM) *

Please include me for either aluminum or steel

Greetings Chris. Wondered how the gauge panels are coming?

I would be willing to drive and pick one up from you! driving.gif

Thanks for your great work and I love the dimmer knob addition.

Mike
Curbandgutter
Hey Chris great work! pray.gif pray.gif There's alot of thinking that went into that seemingly simple looking piece. Couple of questions ( well 3 1/2 actually): 1) Did you do the stretching and shrinking before or after opening the hole for the gauges? 2) what procedure did you use to flange the inside of the gauges? Did you use a huge dimple die? 3) did you use the tipping die to get the flange along the perimeter of the guage cluster? (3-1/2) If so, how did you deal with the distortion? I asking since I was planning on doing my gauge cluster out of aluminum but for the Getty dash? Thanks in advance.
Curbandgutter
QUOTE(Curbandgutter @ Mar 16 2021, 10:32 AM) *

Hey Chris great work! pray.gif pray.gif There's alot of thinking that went into that seemingly simple looking piece. Couple of questions ( well 3 1/2 actually): 1) Did you do the stretching and shrinking before or after opening the hole for the gauges? 2) what procedure did you use to flange the inside of the gauges? Did you use a huge dimple die? 3) did you use the tipping die to get the flange along the perimeter of the guage cluster? (3-1/2) If so, how did you deal with the distortion? I asking since I was planning on doing my gauge cluster out of aluminum but for the Getty dash? Thanks in advance.

Never mind on questions 2, 3 and 3 1/2. I just noticed that I was looking at the back side of the factory piece.
tygaboy
QUOTE(Curbandgutter @ Mar 16 2021, 10:36 AM) *

QUOTE(Curbandgutter @ Mar 16 2021, 10:32 AM) *

Never mind on questions 2, 3 and 3 1/2. I just noticed that I was looking at the back side of the factory piece.

@Curbandgutter Rudy, I do all the hole cutting, then bend the flange along the lower edge, then stamp, then shrink/stretch the flange as needed.
tygaboy
NOTE TO ALL PARTIES interested in one of these panels:

Apologies, guys. I let this effort get put on a back burner. My 914 build, helping on a buddy's race car, and now my own RacerBenz build, have sucked me in pretty deep. Not trying to make excuses, just telling you what's up.

It seems there's a lot of interest so give me a bit and I'll do a run of these. I'll fill the requests in order your replies were posted. I can't promise everyone will get one, let's see how my time plays out. Thanks in advance for understanding.

Chris
GregAmy
What are you kids doing for turn signal and high beam indicators with these tachs? Just dropping an LED somewhere in the panel? Just going without?
Chris H.
Hey Greg,

The Speedhut speedo has turn signals and high beam indicators in it.
GregAmy
QUOTE(Chris H. @ Mar 16 2021, 09:57 PM) *
The Speedhut speedo has turn signals and high beam indicators in it.

Ah, OK. I'm just doing the tach (stock panel).

I'll drill in some small LEDs.
GregAmy
Quick follow up.

I bought some LEDs off eBay and made my own warnings after replacing the tach with a Speedhut.

- Red - oil pressure (I have no idea why Porsche decided to use GREEN for oil pressure)
- Yellow - GEN failure
- Blue - Brights
- Green - turn signals
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01AHQJ06G

Works great.

I may do a Speedhut speedometer, but not really wanting to spend that coin right now...

Click to view attachment
AZBanks
I'll take 2 if you get time to make them. Aluminum is my preference but I'd be happy with steel if that's what you have available.
tygaboy
While I had the plasma table fired up to make a new gauge panel for the Holley digital dash, I figured I may as well make as many of the SpeedHut panels as the material would support.

Six will be available. Three have the hole for the dimmer, three don't. I figured some folks may not want to mount the dimmer in the dash, others would.

One has a flaw (a gack in the edge, pointed out in the pic) on what will be the tipped flange. This flaw can't be see once installed but I'll knock off $10 for that one.

Anyway...
If you're still interested, I should have these ready to go in a week or so.

- these are .063 3003 aluminum
- they will not be painted
- they do not have the raised stamping for the dimmer
- they are set up for a 4.5" center gauge, 4" outer gauges

$35 plus shipping from 94952.

Yes, I'd said $20 earlier but that was a year ago and I was being too generous with my time and consumables. Just be thankful I'm not making them out of wood. lol-2.gif

Let me know if you're interested. I'll probably make more once I get more material.
Thanks again for your patience.
Chris
Chris H.
Well worth $35. Chris was kind enough to send me one of his prototypes. The gauges fit PERFECTLY. Not a mm of play. It looks stock and you can paint it any color you want. I hogged out the dimmer hole and made it my brake warning light. If you have speedhut gauges and don’t have the ability to make one of these you may want to act quickly!

Click to view attachment
Alain V.
I'll take one. will send a pm
tygaboy
When you're a tool whore like me, you look for any reason/excuse for more shop goodies!

Since I'm making a few of these gauge panels for others, I simply couldn't deliver them without duplicating the stock panel's screw dimples.

So I treated myself to a Tatco hand squeezer with a rivet and dimple die set.

1. Drill an appropriate hole
2. Select the desired die
3. Position the die in the hole (orientation matters!)
4. SQUEEZE!

A dimple is created and the factory fastener sits just like we'd want it to. It's the little details like this that I really like.

It's great having the right tool for the job and now that I have it, I'll wrap up the gauge panels for those who've asked for one.
FL000
If any of these are still available I will gladly take one.
808 WRX
Hi Chris,

I'd like one of these too, if there are any left (preferably without the dimmer hole).
Jack Standz
Chris, I still want one - with a dimmer hole.

Thanks again!
tygaboy
QUOTE(808 WRX @ Jun 19 2021, 01:19 PM) *

Hi Chris,

I'd like one of these too, if there are any left (preferably without the dimmer hole).

@808 WRX Efren - We can finish up a "no hole" panel when you come to pick up the wheel. Better yet, YOU can add the dimples to yours!
pdlightning
QUOTE(tygaboy @ Jun 11 2020, 01:15 PM) *

EDIT on 6/6/2021
I made 6 SpeedHut gauge panels today. See my post on page 4 of this thread for a "fresh off the plasma table" pic.

If you're still interested, I should have these ready to go in a week or so.

- these are .063 3003 aluminum
- they will not be painted
- they do not have the raised stamping for the dimmer
- they are set up for a 4.5" center gauge, 4" outer gauges
- 3 have holes for the dimmer, 3 don't

$35 plus shipping from 94952.

Yes, I'd said $20 earlier but that was a year ago and I was being too generous with my time and consumables. Just be thankful I'm not making them out of wood. laugh.gif

Let me know if you're interested. I'll probably make more once I get more material.
Thanks again for your patience.
Chris

EDIT on 6/24/20:
To the interested parties who've already contacted me or posted here to date:

The plasma table is back in action so now I'm tuning the design. See my post from today (6/24) for the latest updates re: what's new and what I still have to do.

As to price, it'll be the same thing I try and pull off whenever I do stuff for friends:
Cost of materials and consumables and you buy me a coffee if we ever meet.

I'm thinking $20 plus shipping.

Thanks for your patience.

Chris

For those using or contemplating SpeedHut gauges, you'll find they are just a bit undersized compared to the stock gauges and require some sort of wrapping or spacer in order to fit well in the stock panel.

I opted to give a go to working up a replacement panel and as I was making it, I thought, while I'm cutting one, I could cut a few more, if there was interest.

This is V1 and it needs a couple minor tweaks, but you get the idea.

Note that it has a 90 degree fold along the bottom edge that I'll stretch so the panel curves a bit, like the factory part.

This one is .060 aluminum but I could do steel, too.

Would anyone be interested in one?

PM me, thanks,
Chris

Greetings and Thank you Chris. I am one of the lucky ones who want one with the hole. Post your Paypay account and I will gladly send you BIG dollars for mine. We appreciate your great work!

Thanks, Mike CC PM
808 WRX
QUOTE(tygaboy @ Jun 19 2021, 04:08 PM) *

808 WRX Efren - We can finish up a "no hole" panel when you come to pick up the wheel. Better yet, YOU can add the dimples to yours!

Even better! That sounds like fun happy11.gif
tygaboy
Panels are ready to ship and I'll be contacting the interested parties to get shipping info.

The final update, and please check the pics, is:
- the panel front is sanded w/80 grit on an orbital and is essentially ready to install as is, or paint
- the panel rear surface has just been tidied up a bit
- each panel has through the stretcher and fully mounted to verify fit to a stock dash
- these panels DO NOT have holes for those two "under side" mounting screws
- for those who are getting a "with hole" for your dimmer knob, I've included a flatted washer that you'll need to slip over the dimmer shaft before installing it in the panel. As I mentioned earlier, it's the little things!

NOTE: When fitting your gauges, you may find you have to "screw" the gauge into the hole. Once it's in past the threads on the gauge body, there's a little bit of movement within the hole. I like to position the gauge so it's "resting" on the bottom, then tighten up the mounting ring.

Once you receive your panel, if you have any questions or issues, just contact me and we'll work it out.

Finally, if you would, please post up some pics, once you get your gauges installed.

Thanks and I hope you like them!
tygaboy
I shipped all the ordered panels today. Those who ordered one have a PM with the payment details.
Thanks and lets see some pics once you get it installed.
Chris
808 WRX
Here is mine in place with some "phantom" gauges lol-2.gif

Thanks again Chris! It was great catching up too beerchug.gif

FL000
Thanks again @tygaboy . I need to order a combo gauge and will paint it to look factory color. Saved me a ton of time beerchug.gif

Click to view attachment
harlespeed@yahoo.com
Hi Chris,

I came across the post for custom instrument cluster face. I am interested in purchasing one if you are still making them. I live locally, so can even pick up and pay cash. Thanks, Jonathan
tygaboy
QUOTE(harlespeed@yahoo.com @ Jun 13 2022, 05:47 PM) *

Hi Chris,

I came across the post for custom instrument cluster face. I am interested in purchasing one if you are still making them. I live locally, so can even pick up and pay cash. Thanks, Jonathan

@harlespeed@yahoo.com Jonathan - Since you're local (and I'm all about the social aspects of our community, enjoy meeting fellow 914 fans, etc.), you come by and you can make one. I'll show you how to plasma cut the panel and how to use the various tools to complete the part. You end up with something custom and get to say "I made it!" Yes, this will take longer than if I just did it for you but what fun is that?
You pay for materials (about $10) and buy me a coffee.
If that sounds OK to you, let me know and we'll get something on calendar.
harlespeed@yahoo.com
QUOTE(tygaboy @ Jun 14 2022, 01:39 PM) *

Hi Chris,

@harlespeed@yahoo.com Jonathan - Since you're local (and I'm all about the social aspects of our community, enjoy meeting fellow 914 fans, etc.), you come by and you can make one. I'll show you how to plasma cut the panel and how to use the various tools to complete the part. You end up with something custom and get to say "I made it!" Yes, this will take longer than if I just did it for you but what fun is that?

Chris, That sounds like a fun deal! I assume you will PM me and we can trade #s and let me know times and dates that work for you. Thanks! Jonathan
tygaboy
@harlespeed@yahoo.com Jonathan - PM sent
76-914
QUOTE(tygaboy @ Jun 14 2022, 01:39 PM) *

Hi Chris,

I wish there was a "Like" feature for moments like this. beerchug.gif
GregAmy
QUOTE(76-914 @ Jun 15 2022, 01:07 AM) *

beerchug.gif

So, harlespeed, you gonna make a bunch extra while you're there for us too...? wink.gif
Mayne
+1 for making a few extras! New Mexico is a bit far to travel to make my own, though almost worth just to say “I made it!”
vitamin914
I am in for one also. I would be wiling to pay $75 (plus a case of beer beer.gif to help the social part).

I just bought a Speedhut speedometer but now I'm thinking why not replace all the gauges to make them the same. Doubt it would be plug and play...Difficultly level with new senders etc?

Chris, Other maybe you could put Jonathan on the production line?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.