Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: a GREAT drive today
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
rhodyguy
dave hunt and i drove to packwood to check out a scca event. about 30 miles from home my driver's side valve cover gasket decided to call it quits. i finally saw dave's signal to pull over. lucky for me he had 2 in his front trunk smilie_pokal.gif pray.gif . a quick cool down, jack up the car (first time with the stock jack), remove the tire, r&r the valve cover, put the car back down on the ground, add 1 1/2 quarts of oil, and we were rolling again. not with out a few paraniod stops to ensure the problem was solved.

on the way to Packwood we used Skate Creek Rd. locals may be familiar with it. 17 miles of good to fair, 2 lane divided blacktop, with approx a 2500 ft elevation gain. the road cuts through the Gifford Pinchot National Forest. no stops, few places to pass, very little other traffic (what little there was pulled over to let 2 fools race by), and more corners than i can estimate.

the a-x facility was fantastic. first picture shows the right side of the parking lot.

k
rhodyguy
course from center to left. it was huge. the layout was a fast course.
rhodyguy
nice paddock. ohmy.gif
rhodyguy
from other direction. this guy with the yellow car showed up kind of late for practice runs dry.gif and dave's back. good idea of the scale of the building. site is a portion of a lumber mill. track area was the log yard. nice pavement with some offcamber corners. the red car in the track shots was pretty cool. 1964(?) plymouth reliant. it hauled ass and cornered well too. fun day.
Porsche Rescue
OK, so how did Vancouver USA's local hero (ricky racer #4) do?
redshift
Thanks Kev!

Looks gloomy, I love that. It's too bright here.

M
rhodyguy
no rain. no need for the targa top. no complaints. low 70's. lower humidity. top that miles! wink.gif . jp got there too late for pratice today. main event is tomorrow. scca national tour is showing up at this venue later in the month.

k
TravisNeff
Nice pics, makes me wish I was back home again.
DNHunt
Kevin forgot a couple of details.

He blew so much oil out the back when it let go that I thought he blew the sucker up and this engine isn't the stromberg.gif onion. It makes me appreciate what an engine blow must be like on the track for the guys behind. Suddenly my windshield had a ton of spots on it. Get this, I tried the windshield washer and it worked (water is more than 2 years old) but, it just smeared it. That's when I thought something was funny.

The other thing he didn't mention was he never checks his mirrors. It took forever to get his attention. I blinked the fogs, the headlights, honked the horn and tried hand signals. He finally saw me when he whipped out to pass some poor guy and he checked to see if I was gonna follow. Not when I couldn't see.

Payback was sweet. Nothing beats watching some guy down on the ground working on his ride and cussing cause he can't see what he's doing.

Dave
rhodyguy
your windshield couldn't have been TOO bad. you drove the rest of the day without washing the smears. laugh.gif bifocals, i don't know why i bother.

k
DNHunt
I drove that way cause I didn't trust your repair. I was afraid I'd get hosed down again and I couldn't stay ahead of you. Damn street racers
J P Stein
I can honestly say I have stunk up another AX venue.
914 honor was not preserved.......I doan wanna talk about it headbang.gif
rhodyguy
how did the #1 pilot do? if it was wet all that big horsepower didn't help. when we saw the course map for today yesterday, there were quite a few slaloms. it must have been squirrely in the puddles.

k

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.