Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Trunk rear floor
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Stoddy
Hello all, I hope everyone is well and safe.
Here in the U.K, THE COLONEL is coming along.
Question.
Do I cut the rear section of the trunk floor out near the middle, or is there a seem to un stich? I see the spot welds along the sides and the rear edge, but can’t see a join near the middle section.
Any advice as usual, most welcome.

Cheers,

Stoddy beer.gif
9146C
Restoration Design have a "how-to" video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GBmJkP8I_rI

Depending on who you bought your replacement panel from. I went with the RD panel and cut out on the leading/inboard side of the cross brace (closest to the engine bay).

The RD panel required a little additional metal work for me, but, otherwise worked out well.
bkrantz
I cut just aft of the cross brace flange, and then made a lap joint with the replacement panel.
Stoddy
Thanks gents, I haven’t bought the replacement panel yet, so guess that’s the next step!

Best,

Stoddy.
9146C
If I had to do it again, I would do what @bkrantz recommends, with a slight modification: rather than a lap joint, I would butt the joint in the middle of the "ledge" of the bottom cross brace such that half of the original floor pan is resting on the "middle" of the ledge and the new pan rests on the other half...just need to be careful cutting the old pan out and not cutting through the bottom cross brace ledge. The end result welding/grinding will be much cleaner. You can then also add some beads to the underside of the cross brace/new pan.

After reading your other post, there is no factory seam to undo, the trunk pan was installed as one piece.

Good luck!

barefoot
My panel from AA, here's how much I used:
Note I cut out the bracket attachments for the muffler heat shield to save them.

Click to view attachment
SA-914
I still needed to cut out a bit more on the right...

Click to view attachment
SA-914
RD panel
cary
My .02c for today, less is more. Only replace what is needed.
Don't go into the corners unless its needed. But pull all the seam sealer and check
for rust. You'll find some loose spots.
My preferred method is the butt joint after taking off the flange.
Lg914
We found it easiest to remove the back section of the trunk pan. There was some rust hiding in the corners under the sea sealer. We got this part from restoration design and were happy with the quality. Some of their products are not this nice. Auto Atlanta has a longer panel if that is what you need.
Montreal914
Above is exactly what I am currently doing. Seems like it's rear trunk floor season... smile.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.