Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Turn Signal Cancel Tab and Horn Failures
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
The Double S
Hi All,

I have a 1970 914 with an aftermarket Dino steering wheel. I've had issues with the turn signal cancel and the horn not working since I purchased the car.

When I removed the steering wheel and adapter to investigate, it seems like the cancel tab is not long enough to fully initiate the cancel mechanism in the turn signal. It feels like it just touches it half way but still leaves the turn signal on. Is this a result of the tab on the cancel ring being worn out? Or is it the steering wheel adapter fitment preventing the tab to go as far as it needs to?

Additionally, my horn doesn't work. I attached a picture below. It looks like the brass colored arm has been removed or sheered of. Will that affect the performance of the canceling tab?

Thank you for the help in advance.

Click to view attachment Click to view attachment
914Sixer
Early cars are SPECIAL. You might be able to get away with this switch. You will have to make sure wiring matches up though or get creative. Pull screws and see if the back matches up. Click on screen shot to open up
porschetub
QUOTE(The Double S @ Jun 15 2020, 06:45 AM) *

Hi All,

I have a 1970 914 with an aftermarket Dino steering wheel. I've had issues with the turn signal cancel and the horn not working since I purchased the car.

When I removed the steering wheel and adapter to investigate, it seems like the cancel tab is not long enough to fully initiate the cancel mechanism in the turn signal. It feels like it just touches it half way but still leaves the turn signal on. Is this a result of the tab on the cancel ring being worn out? Or is it the steering wheel adapter fitment preventing the tab to go as far as it needs to?

Additionally, my horn doesn't work. I attached a picture below. It looks like the brass colored arm has been removed or sheered of. Will that affect the performance of the canceling tab?

The broken contact is the reason you have no horn as you have no contact on the slip ring,this is usually cause but no lube,the tab wears and breaks off.
Not sure about the Dino wheels but suspect they are same fitment as the Momo version,what adaptor do you have ? and do you have the stock slip ring attached on the back of the adaptor or something else ?.
Seems like your wheel may not be on far enough for the cancel function to work or switch is broken,however you still need to replace it .
I found for example the Momo adaptor wasn't a great fit so the stock wheel components didn't fit well without some work to get the cancel piece in the right place.
Good luck.
porschetub
QUOTE(914Sixer @ Jun 15 2020, 07:16 AM) *

Early cars are SPECIAL. You might be able to get away with this switch. You will have to make sure wiring matches up though or get creative. Pull screws and see if the back matches up. Click on screen shot to open up

Is this an early car ? as I notice it has the later gauge panel... confused24.gif .
The Double S
The broken contact is the reason you have no horn as you have no contact on the slip ring,this is usually cause but no lube,the tab wears and breaks off.
Not sure about the Dino wheels but suspect they are same fitment as the Momo version,what adaptor do you have ? and do you have the stock slip ring attached on the back of the adaptor or something else ?.
Seems like your wheel may not be on far enough for the cancel function to work or switch is broken,however you still need to replace it .
I found for example the Momo adaptor wasn't a great fit so the stock wheel components didn't fit well without some work to get the cancel piece in the right place.
Good luck.

I don't know what adapter I have. The car came with the setup that is currently on it. The ring has VW stamped on it. There is a large E-clip that prevents the wheel from moving too far down the splines. I've seen that E-clip on the threads with guys installing MOMO wheels. Wasn't sure if there is a ring with a longer tab on it. Thanks for the part number, I'll check the connector. I'm more bothered by the cancel tab than the horn Lol.
The Double S
QUOTE(porschetub @ Jun 14 2020, 03:29 PM) *

QUOTE(914Sixer @ Jun 15 2020, 07:16 AM) *

Is this an early car ? as I notice it has the later gauge panel... confused24.gif .

Yes, it is a 1970. It was converted to a 350 SBC and I'm finding many parts that aren't early model and must have been swapped along the way.
dr914@autoatlanta.com
your pic is of a 75 76 model with the horn contact tab broken off

QUOTE(The Double S @ Jun 14 2020, 11:45 AM) *

Hi All,

The Double S
Is there a ring available with a longer tab?
ClayPerrine
QUOTE(The Double S @ Jun 16 2020, 01:53 AM) *

Is there a ring available with a longer tab?

All you can do is buy a new turn signal switch. The missing tab acts as a spring loaded contact that slides against the turn signal ring on the back of the steering wheel. Without it, the horn will never work. And they can't be bought separately.

The Double S
Sorry, I wasn't clear. I meant a longer tab on the turn signal cancel ring. Looking at pictures online some seem to protrude out longer leading me to believe that the tab has deteriorated from use? Has anyone seen that before?

Is the E-clip behind the splines stock to the car or would it have been installed with the steering wheel adapter?
The Double S
Example of what I am talking about below. Perhaps a later model turn signal and cancel ring tab was needed to accommodate the steering wheel and adapter.

This is what I have currently on my adapter:

Click to view attachment

This is PT# 914.347.835.00 which appears to have a longer cancel tab. It is listed as an early model part:

Click to view attachment
The Double S
Anyone have experience in this area with steering wheel adapters and turn signal cancel rings?
914sgofast2
I had to put some flat washers under the turn signal cancelling tab piece so it would catch on the switch . Solved the turn signal problem. I gave up trying to make the horn button work and put a push button switch on the dash for the horn.

Click to view attachment Click to view attachment
[/quote]
The Double S
Thanks gofast2. I had the same idea with the washer fix you mentioned. Glad to know it will work.
PCH
Could you point out in the picture where you put the washers?
The Double S
QUOTE(PCH @ Jun 24 2020, 12:36 PM) *

Could you point out in the picture where you put the washers?

I haven't done it yet, but in theory if you put flat washers on the screws behind the cancel ring, on the back side of the steering wheel adapter, it will be just enough to catch the cancel ring tab on the turn signal mechanism.

The screws in questions are the phillips screws in the picture below. The washers would have to be between the black cancel ring and the back of the adapter.

Click to view attachment
PCH
Thank you for the close-up and your help. I'm going to give the washers a try.
The Double S
Update: I put 3 flat washers on each screw that mounts the cancel ring to the steering wheel adapter. It is cancelling intermittently now.

The tab on the cancel ring isn't hung up on anything I can see. Tomorrow I am going to try to see if just one or two washers per screw will work better.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.