Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Things heating up
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
nditiz1
Took the silver car out for a cruise after getting the Rennline pedal board installed. It seemed things were OK until I got on the highway to open up. The CHT started to rise at an unsafe level so I pulled over. Dropping from 5th to 4th only helped temporarily. I noticed the clutch grab was very high. I am wondering if the clutch wasn't fully releasing, but I dont think this would cause additional heat only additional slippage? I have since adjusted it. Im more concerned with the brakes as it seemed when I came to a stop the car did not slow to a coasted unassisted stop but more so as though light braking was being applied. None of the wheels felt more hot than the rest. The new pedal assembly I put in was set to the same length as the old but maybe further adjustment is needed. I noticed it was tough to move into the garage one night as though the brakes were applied. That combined with the ebrake not having a crisp click click click leads me to believe something is going on. I did jack the rear up and was able to turn both wheels with little force and noticed some slight dragging, expected right? I need to check the fronts for ease of spin.

Other Ideas?
914e
I would check that the brake pedal is allowing the master cylinder to fully return.
porschetub
Yep sticking master cylinder piston or...semi siezed calipers or swollen brake lines,most likely rubber brake lines ,cheers.
nditiz1
@914e - this was it. Even though I set the rod to the same as the old pedal cluster, the new had all new bushings and rubber stops. After loosening the rod and moving it back I no longer had any slight brake pressure. The car rolled with ease. Took it out for a spin an no overheat requiring a pull over. Temps were still on the high side, but that could be from timing, to missing cooling tin, or valves not set properly. Thanks all!
ConeDodger
Having had lots of experience with a CHT gauge and a Type IV I can tell you that in a perfect world, they don’t like 5th gear cruising. Not enough fan speed I suspect. Just shifting from 4th to 5th you can watch the temp go up quickly.
nditiz1
yeah, it was a cool night (75), on a flat stretch of highway, 4th doing ~70 @4k RPMs helped some, but eventually had to tone it back hitting 400 on the CHT gauge. I'd like that to be around 375 on flat highway in 5th doing 75 around 3500 rpm.

At least I know that the brake issue is resolved that I can delve into why the engine is not running as cool as I'd like.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.