Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Tie rod removal.
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
911GT2
So today I started replacing the tie rods. Passenger side went fairly difficult but when I broke the tension of the bolt it was somewhat doable. There was enough space there to get some pry bars in there and slowly but steadily half a turn at a time I could get it out.

On the drivers side learning from the passengers side I started with loosening the wheel side of the tie rod and using the tie rod itself to break loose the bolt. But space is tight there and I can't get my pry bars in there the way I could on the passengers side.

And instead of loosing up it seems the bolt is tightening.

Is there a handy trick I need to know. I don't feel like taking the entire steering rack off.

Edit: found this trick: https://youtu.be/-XlIGPl0uSU?t=115 Is that the way to go?
Tdskip
That will work.

I think @bdstone914 is going to make a run of tools to make this a snap.
bdstone914
QUOTE(911GT2 @ Jun 15 2020, 12:37 PM) *

So today I started replacing the tie rods. Passenger side went fairly difficult but when I broke the tension of the bolt it was somewhat doable. There was enough space there to get some pry bars in there and slowly but steadily half a turn at a time I could get it out.

On the drivers side learning from the passengers side I started with loosening the wheel side of the tie rod and using the tie rod itself to break loose the bolt. But space is tight there and I can't get my pry bars in there the way I could on the passengers side.

And instead of loosing up it seems the bolt is tightening.

Is there a handy trick I need to know. I don't feel like taking the entire steering rack off.

Edit: found this trick: https://youtu.be/-XlIGPl0uSU?t=115 Is that the way to go?

Kind of a hack video but that is the idea. The disc acts like a jam nut to the inner tie rod end. They do make adjustable or single size hook wrenches that will hook on that disc notch.
911GT2
To answer my own question and for research purposes.

Yes the method in the video worked like a charm.
I think the best method is:
  1. lose the ball jount on the wheelside and remove it.
  2. use the tie rod as pry arm to break the tension.
  3. Use a hamer and chisel to 'break lose the locking plate'
  4. remove the tie rod
Off course you can buy the special tool, but since you'll be ending it only for this job I think the above method works quite good.
Tdskip
@911GT2 - glad you got it sorted. Please keep us posted with your updates and progress.
914_teener
Can.t remember which side it was but I used a sawzall and a pipe wrench. Peice of cake.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.