Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Possible bad fuel pump
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Ampex351
OK....so I've checked the coil, good spark. Opened the fuel line while wife cranked the motor. No gas came out. Does that in itself tell me that the pump is dead?
You can hear the pump buzz just a little when you turn on the key but no gas out the fuel line to injector rails. Help!!
SteveL
QUOTE(Ampex351 @ Jun 17 2020, 04:49 PM) *

OK....so I've checked the coil, good spark. Opened the fuel line while wife cranked the motor. No gas came out. Does that in itself tell me that the pump is dead?
You can hear the pump buzz just a little when you turn on the key but no gas out the fuel line to injector rails. Help!!

My coil worked great too when it worked. you need to drive it till it fails, then while it won't restart, then test the coil. Easy enough - grab a known good coil and the right wrench. Drive, when it dies, swap coils.
Rand
Swapping a coil won't solve the fuel delivery problem. How did you "open the fuel line" and where?

Part 2?? Did you leave a bunch of history behind that we need?
Ampex351
QUOTE(SteveL @ Jun 17 2020, 07:53 PM) *

QUOTE(Ampex351 @ Jun 17 2020, 04:49 PM) *

My coil worked great too when it worked. you need to drive it till it fails, then while it won't restart, then test the coil. Easy enough - grab a known good coil and the right wrench. Drive, when it dies, swap coils.

I agree Steve. A new coil is already on order.

bdstone914
@Ampex351

What engine and year? D jet or L jet?
Did you check the fuse on the relay board?
Wire connection to the pump?
You can try swapping the fuel pump relay on the board with a headlight relay. See if it works to lift the headlight.
914Toy
Many of us have installed a fuel pressure gauge to help isolate problems.
Ampex351
QUOTE(Rand @ Jun 17 2020, 08:14 PM) *

Swapping a coil won't solve the fuel delivery problem. How did you "open the fuel line" and where?

I opened the fuel line where it connects to the injection rails on 1 side. Completely dry
While cranking the engine. No fuel coming through.
Part 1 is on the next page.
Ampex351
QUOTE(bdstone914 @ Jun 17 2020, 08:31 PM) *

@Ampex351

What engine and year? D jet or L jet?
Did you check the fuse on the relay board?
Wire connection to the pump?
You can try swapping the fuel pump relay on the board with a headlight relay. See if it works to lift the headlight.

'73 2.0 D-Jet. I swapped relay and it made no difference.

jim_hoyland
QUOTE(914Toy @ Jun 17 2020, 06:45 PM) *

Many of us have installed a fuel pressure gauge to help isolate problems.

agree.gif
Make sure your fuel pump ground is firmly attached. smile.gif
Frankvw
but since you hear the pump running/buzzing at ignition,but no fuel......then the ground is OK, coil is no issue in this test. So, a clogged up fuelfilter or tanksock or a kinked fuelhose.
PS...I had a bad pump that kicked in when I turned the ignition on, but no fuel to engine. But it leaked like hell.....fuelpressure had to go somewhere....
dr914@autoatlanta.com
Please remember I am always available for over the phone 914 troubleshooting and tech advice,.

QUOTE(Ampex351 @ Jun 17 2020, 06:48 PM) *

QUOTE(Rand @ Jun 17 2020, 08:14 PM) *

I opened the fuel line where it connects to the injection rails on 1 side. Completely dry
While cranking the engine. No fuel coming through.
Part 1 is on the next page.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.