Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: JLO Surgery
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
nine14cats
Here's a few pics of the cutouts for the radiator on JLO.

This is the size cutout that Renegade Hybrids recommends. This will cut the lower re-inforcement.

Bill P.
nine14cats
After talking with several people on line and through PM's and e-mail, I decided on a different layout similar to Guy T.'s (914GT). I have similar surface area open, but in a different shape.

Several people suggested 2" or 3" diameter holes. I tried this first within the cutout area, then opted to take the whole piece out.

Bill P.

nine14cats
I started the radiator inlet cuts with a 2" hole saw for nice radius cuts.

nine14cats
My air reciprocating saw made quick work of the sheet metal. A 32 tooth blade was fast and clean.
nine14cats
I then moved to the trunk area to complete the outlet exhaust. Back to the hole saw, then the air saw.
nine14cats
Finished off the areas with my small air grinder and done....

nine14cats
passenger side....
nine14cats
Still deciding on what the cut will look like in the bumper....want it to look clean.

I'll cut it tomorrow or Monday. biggrin.gif

Bill P.
ematulac
Nice work. Those cuts look really clean. clap.gif
dmenche914
looks like a good job on the cutouts check out the OEM front oil cooler cut out bumpers, they look cool.

The fog light holes might also serve as intakes, of course no fog lights, but that woule allow you to get away with a a small hole int ehmiddle of the bumper.

One thing that is helpful is a good shroud around the radiator. try to direct 100% of the air thru the radiator with no leaks, Any air that runs thru the trunk without going thru the radiator is wasted, and means you'll need even more cutouts.

let me know when your ready to show it off (even work in progress) I'd love to stop by and see it.

dave
Jeroen
nice clean cuts... gud job!
clap.gif clap.gif clap.gif
neo914-6
Bill,

Nice cuts... clap.gif

You look too neat to be doing car work laugh.gif

What are you going to use on the cut edges of the wheel well cut outs? rubber edging and mesh?

scotty b
What the hell are you wearing on your head? It looks like some sort of device to keep sparks and metal fragments out of your eyes. I've heard of such devices but have never actually seen one laugh.gif Uh oh, I gotta go replace my patch again......... pirate.gif Nice job BTW
skline
Nice job!! So how long do you think it will be before you fire it up and take it for a test drive? Looks like you are making good progress. I can hardly wait.
nine14cats
Thanks Guys!

Felix,

I'm going to use the mesh and upholsery moulding around the cutouts, both front and rear.

Scott,

I can really make tracks and have the car running in 2 weeks since I have everything needed to make it happen. Or I can take an extra couple of weeks and paint the engine bay and trunks. The front one is in really bad shape with the overspray of the GM truckliner on everything.... barf.gif

I may assemble, run, dis-assemble and then detail.....

I'm leaning towards the detail first....that would make fire up in August.

Thanks,

Bill P.
skline
I think that is a good idea, no sense in doing things twice. Get it right the first time, you will be much happier. We can wait. Keep us posted on the progress.
Jeroen
yep, do it right the first time
once you got it all installed and running I know you don't wanna take it apart again to do the detailing (well, that's how things work in my world anyway biggrin.gif)
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.