Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 914-8 (350)
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
914boss
Hey guys! how's it going my names Brandon! Just bought a steel flared 914-8 today extremely excited to be apart of the community.
Have a few question for you fellow v8 owners.

So my aluminum oil pan drain screw has been stripped so my question is is it possible to cut off and plug or re tap?

also the fuel pump is so loud and it sits behind the passenger seat in the engine bay. Are any of yours loud as well and if not what fuel pump are you running?

look forward to hearing from you guys!
914 Ranch
I feel so good, I get to post it,..
welcome.png
thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpics.gif
I'm sure that the V8 guys will be able to answer your question. But it might be helpful if you posted which fuel pump you have in your car.
The World should be waking up shortly. My car is an air cooled -6.
twistedstang
Welcome. The good thing about SBC parts are that they are cheap. May be easiest to drop and replace the pan or take it to a shop and have a new bung welded in. As for the loud fuel pump....if it's an aeromotive or similar, it's just going to be loud. If its solid mounted to steel, you can quite it down a bit with rubber mounts. As a former street racer, always beware the car who's fuel pump is louder than the exhaust.
rick 918-S
Get a modern rotorystyle pump and relocate it under the gas tank. Sounds like an old facet pump. They sound like a jack hammer. welcome.png
wndsrfr
Walbro inline pump..... very quiet...
Cairo94507
welcome.png Glad to welcome a new member who has a love for 914's. Lots of V-8 powered 914's around here and they run the spectrum from very basic to completely custom and wild fabrication builds with incredible horsepower. Post pictures and introduce yourself and the car please. beerchug.gif
ValcoOscar
Congrats Brandon.....

You finally pulled the trigger. welcome.png

I will let you introduce your 1975 SBC V8 914, but here it is about 2 years ago. PO and I were backdating bumpers.

beerchug.gif

Oscar

Click to view attachment
PanelBilly
Hello
914boss
Thanks everyone! Yea I sure did Oscar biggrin.gif Thank you !
sorry yes here are some pictures! im getting used to everything lol
cammed Sbc v8 914 5 lug conversion with steel flares and 911 suspension piratenanner.gif
914boss
QUOTE(twistedstang @ Jun 21 2020, 05:48 AM) *

Welcome. The good thing about SBC parts are that they are cheap. May be easiest to drop and replace the pan or take it to a shop and have a new bung welded in. As for the loud fuel pump....if it's an aeromotive or similar, it's just going to be loud. If its solid mounted to steel, you can quite it down a bit with rubber mounts. As a former street racer, always beware the car who's fuel pump is louder than the exhaust.

thank you!

Im not entirely sure on the pump I can't make out what the numbers are to look it up here is a pic of it im not sure if that will help or not.

the picture is sideways idk why its like that but when you click on it its the right way
Steve
The car is on my lift in the garage until we get it drive-able.
Here is a picture of the oil pan. Looks like the drain plug hit a speed bump or someone over tightened it and stripped the drain plug.
We will drain the oil and pull the oil pan, but is there a better oil pan for a 350? I noticed other people are running a more shallow pan..
Click to view attachment
tygaboy
welcome.png

Very cool wheels, too! smilie_pokal.gif
cali914
QUOTE(wndsrfr @ Jun 21 2020, 05:19 AM) *

Walbro inline pump..... very quiet...
icon_bump.gif
FL000
Congrats on the new acquisition! I had simar problem with crazy loud fuel pump also. Just change it out for a new low pressure (if carb'd) inline and have a rubber insulator between bracket and firewall. Definatley don't want to hear the fuel pump over the engine!

Welcome to the World beerchug.gif
Steve
Curious... what style oil pan is everyone running on there Iron Small Block Chevy conversions? This motor is a 350 left side dip stick.
JOEPROPER
welcome.png That looks like a nice pickup!! Now once you get the drain plug problem fixed, then take it to Oscar's shop to match the outside with the color that you have in the engine bay.
ValcoOscar
QUOTE(JOEPROPER @ Jun 22 2020, 09:39 AM) *

welcome.png That looks like a nice pickup!! Now once you get the drain plug problem fixed, then take it to Oscar's shop to match the outside with the color that you have in the engine bay.

Funny you say that Joe....I have a 1 gallon kit of single stage SIGNAL ORANGE (L20 E) plus primer I recently bought but will not use.

I just may offer here.

Brandon has first dibs. @914boss

OscarClick to view attachment
Mark Henry
QUOTE(914boss @ Jun 21 2020, 02:00 PM) *

QUOTE(twistedstang @ Jun 21 2020, 05:48 AM) *

thank you!

Im not entirely sure on the pump I can't make out what the numbers are to look it up here is a pic of it im not sure if that will help or not.

the picture is sideways idk why its like that but when you click on it its the right way

The pump is a Carter, old school V8 guys used them, you can still buy them from summit,etc.
Cairo94507
A fond memory of mine is my bother's '69 Nova SS with a 396 putting down about 500 HP (back in the 70's). He would turn the key on and the electric fuel pump would go thump thump thump and then he would fire the engine. Car was one of the fastest 1/4 milers we had. I would guess today I would prefer a quiet fuel pump. beerchug.gif
Mike Bellis
You need to ditch the aluminum oil pan. that will crack and leave you stranded one day. 914 V8's tend to pick up road debris underneath.

You need a steel pan with baffles. Like this...

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/ctr-15-2.../make/chevrolet

Click to view attachment
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.