Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Transmission Shifer adjustment
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
sjhenry1075
I replaced the old transmission bushings last week. Before I had, there was so much play that I could move the gear shift all over the place when it was still in gear, and I could not shift into 4th gear without issues. After receiving feedback from the forum, it was clear that I had to change the bushings.

Once I started I found that the old bushings were cracked, broken or missing all together.

After I finished replacing the bushings, I found that the shifting is all out of whack. First, I could not shift into 1st or reverse. I fixed this by twisting the rod that goes out the firewall. Now, it still will not go into fourth gear and it grinds when I downshift into 3rd or 2nd. I'm assuming that it's nicking 1st gear / reverse during downshifting?

My question is, is this still a matter of twisting the rod? Did I go too far? Or, this this a forward/backward issue.

I already posted this on the FageBook page, I just wanted to get some feedback here as well.
ndfrigi
Hope this will help, if your forward and backward position on ur shifter looks on the right position (mark the rod using a marker to keep the rod measurement that goes in the bottom shifter), adjustment to get 4th and 5th should be just the rod by turning it clockwise (from the bottom of the shifter).

or from scratch,
remove your rod from the bottom of shifter
then place your transmission to 2nd gear (by hand on the tranny side)
then use the rear access of your tunnel (right side of driver to the center tunnel before firewall) and hold the shift rod to keep the tranny on 2nd gear
then install back your shifter rod to your shifter that is position to 2nd gear of your shifter.
that should be it or maybe just a very little adjustment on the bottom shifter bottom rod.
rhodyguy
Use the dentent plate as a guide for the 2/3 plane. Side shift? Place in second gear at trans and lock the rear rod in place with a pair of vicegrips where the rod goes thru the engine support bar. The only connection you might have to fight a bit is where the front rod enters the coupler for the shifter.
sjhenry1075
Thank you both for advice. What is a dentent plate?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.