Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Horrible afternoon
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
mlindner
ejmetz, when the dust settles and your back on track please share with us what fire protection system your going with and why. Best, Mark
flmont
That is truly F.UP..!! Sorry about that for sure..at least its insured that was a smart move for sure.
windforfun
I'm super sorry about your car! Upwards & onwards with a new one.
IronHillRestorations
Heartbreaking! sad.gif and nauseating too barf.gif

It's just stuff. That's what I have to keep telling myself (we've had all kinds of challenges). Nobody got hurt, nobody is in jail.

Even from a die hard car guy, I can tell you: it is a car and you can find another, that you may like even more.

So sorry though. Sincerest condolences for your trauma and loss
MartyYeoman
OUCH!! hissyfit.gif Painful pictures for sure.
pete000
Wow, such a sad thing to have happen.

I am wondering as we all are, what was the state of the fuel system? Lines, seals,carbs etc...

I was lucky to catch a leaking fuel line in my six after a drive to work, so glad it did not end up bad !
Speedmster
QUOTE(ejmetz @ Jul 6 2020, 09:30 PM) *

Insured with Hagerty (with cherished salvage endorsement) and no one hurt, thank God. I think I’m just more devastated after so much work, and I had just started enjoying the car.

Sorry to to see that. Glad no one got hurt. You can do it again. Glad you had the insurance to back you up. The past is the past.

"It is common sense to take a method and try it. If it fails, admit it frankly and try another. But above all, try something."
~ Franklin D. Roosevelt, Address at Oglethorpe University (May 22, 1932)
HAM Inc
Man, that really sucks! Maybe it won't be as bad as it looks once you get it cleaned up.
Fingers crossed!
porsche914rick
new_shocked.gif
mb911
Blaze cut for me for sure.
bkrantz
Really, really sorry. I can't imagine watching a project car burn in front of my eyes. Hope your ultimate outcome is a happy one.
euro911
yikes.gif

Oh man, that's a tough one. Glad to hear no one was injured, and hope you can recover from this catastrophe.
racer914
Sure hate to see this...sorry for the loss. Shop for another one soon.
rgalla9146
TODAY !
Big fuel leak upon start up of my carburated car.
Football size puddle under my running car.
Review entire delivery / return system.
dr914@autoatlanta.com
it is very important to get the car stripped and the metal dusted and treated as soon as possible before it starts to deteriorate. Remove everything, strip down the engine and put some marvel mystery oil in the cylinders and intakes, media blast the areas without paint, clean off all of the painted surfaces, etch the bare metal and prime with zinc chromate. At least that will preserve the car before it becomes hopeless. As it is, it is really not too bad. We have repaired worse for customers in the past.
stownsen914
Many that really sucks. I'm sorry it happened, especially so soon after you got 'er done.

As mentioned above (and not to minimize), it may not be as bad as it looks. I've seen burned cars where the car literally melts or sags badly. It doesn't look like yours is doing those things so it may be more cosmetic and more easily fixable. I'll hope so anyway.
Tdskip
Oh crud.

I am very sorry to see what happened.
nditiz1
Terrible...

Sorry man GL with Hagerty hope they do you right.
anderssj
Really sorry to see this happened. Not sure what else to say. Sorry.
JFG
sorry for your loss.
MM1
No doubt - we're all thankful you're still here to tell the sad tale - as tough as it may be after so much devoted and so little enjoyed. Hopefully you'll be up and running soon.
FlacaProductions
Not much to add to what has already been said other than my sympathy and support. Glad everyone is ok....
narino
Sorry to see this. Glad you're OK!!
dangrouche
Keep it all in perspective. you're unscathed, alive and well and around your family and friends. that's the most important thing.
Jett
sorry! Thank you for posting this to keep us safe... it prompted me to buy fire extinguishers and First aide kits!
StarBear
QUOTE(Jett @ Jul 9 2020, 01:51 PM) *

sorry! Thank you for posting this to keep us safe... it prompted me to buy fire extinguishers!

Picked up a 5lb Purple K this afternoon; already on bracket in the car.
This, and the third brake light, installed due to recent forum members' experiences. Hope I don't have to add one....
Rotary'14
sad.gif
sixnotfour
Terrible...looks like maybe the alternater is the source..
Wyvern
QUOTE(oakdalecurtis @ Jul 6 2020, 10:46 PM) *

Very sorry for your loss, hate to see another one gone. Glad you’re ok, that’s what really matters.
Here's my fire solution(s). I have a BlazeCut system installed under the lid. I do not use a rain tray since I NEVER drive in the wet. I painted the BlazeCut tube black so that it does not show through the engine cover. If you’re not familiar with BlazeCut’s effectiveness, go to their website and watch the video of the burning VW bus engine test..
And just in case I have a cabin fire, I have a Kidde extinguisher inside my custom built center console box.....

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Very sad to see and as many have said ... this concern does lurk in the back of my head.
Painting the Blaze Cut black really does hide it ... Do you think that would alter the performance of the unit at all?
Coondog
Very sad to see and as many have said ... this concern does lurk in the back of my head.
Painting the Blaze Cut black really does hide it ... Do you think that would alter the performance of the unit at all?
[/quote]

Only if you used some type of heat resistance paint.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.