Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Alloy Lug Nuts
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
jim_hoyland
What’s the trick to get the black finish completely off ?
914Sixer
If you want to make them shinny, get some buffing compound and get started. Lots of work.
Superhawk996
Annodize can be stripped chemically - I had it done on a set of motorcyle rims prior to plating them.

I think they used Sodium Hydroxide if I recall. Maybe talk to a plating shop and confirm.

pete000
Easy off Oven cleaner takes it off.
jim_hoyland
QUOTE(pete000 @ Jul 9 2020, 04:19 PM) *

That’s what I thought. Years ago I used easy off on another part per Bruce Stones recommendation.

I bought a new can today and sprayed the nut, let it soak for an hour and washed them
No dice !
oakdalecurtis
QUOTE(jim_hoyland @ Jul 9 2020, 04:07 PM) *

QUOTE(pete000 @ Jul 9 2020, 04:19 PM) *

That’s what I thought. Years ago I used easy off on another part per Bruce Stones recommendation.

I bought a new can today and sprayed the nut, let it soak for an hour and washed them
No dice !

I just held mine in a bead blaster, cleaned the black right off easily.

jim_hoyland
HF $30.00 ? Would this do the trick
Requires a 1 HP compressor per their ad
mepstein
QUOTE(jim_hoyland @ Jul 9 2020, 09:53 PM) *

HF $30.00 ? Would this do the trick
Requires a 1 HP compressor per their ad

That is a costly, messy way to remove some anodizing by the time you buy blast media.. What are you going to do once the black is gone. If you are going to powdercoat, the powder company will blast. If you are going to anodize, the anodizing company will remove the black and recoat. If you are going to paint, just scuff but paint doesn't last unless its epoxy or cerikote. If you are going to polish, don't bead blast, it will leave it rough and require a ton of sanding. If you are going to polish, you will need to anodize clear or it will cloud over. Might be cheaper just to buy new.
What's the goal here?
sixnotfour
Pony Up...Ti
https://www.acerracing.com/products/porsche...AyABEgLaJ_D_BwE
jim_hoyland
QUOTE(sixnotfour @ Jul 9 2020, 10:58 PM) *

Sweet ! smile.gif I'llput those my wish list..... beer3.gif
DRPHIL914
QUOTE(jim_hoyland @ Jul 10 2020, 07:35 AM) *

Sweet ! smile.gif I'llput those my wish list..... beer3.gif

@jim_hoyland I thought you bought some already, - but it also looks like they have the open lug nuts in chrome as well as the closed.
billh1963
QUOTE(sixnotfour @ Jul 10 2020, 01:58 AM) *

For the ultimate unsprung weight savings junkie happy11.gif
horizontally-opposed

This is the way to go...

Had a set of old black alloy lug nuts stripped and re-anodized gray at an anodizing place a years ago after having the tops (but no threads) cut off. They came out looking terrible lined up on the counter but (fortunately) great on the car, where you don't see the color variance so much.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.