Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 915 speedo sensor
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
sharper
I'm having issues with my 915 transmission and need to pull it from the car. While unhooking things under there I was surprised to find this sensor on the passenger side. My case is a 915/63 but I believe this is the speedo sensor from the last generation of the 915 (915/73). My speedometer has never been hooked up because I believed I needed to mill out a spot on the case due to the pinion gear being flipped for a 914. But the sensor for my case is different and would be on the drivers side. Does anyone know if the sensor that is there will work of i trace the wires and hook it up or does it need to be moved due to the flipped gear also?

P.S. Please excuse the grease and oil. I'm going to figure that out while under there too.Click to view attachment
Luke M
QUOTE(sharper @ Jul 13 2020, 05:55 AM) *

I'm having issues with my 915 transmission and need to pull it from the car. While unhooking things under there I was surprised to find this sensor on the passenger side. My case is a 915/63 but I believe this is the speedo sensor from the last generation of the 915 (915/73). My speedometer has never been hooked up because I believed I needed to mill out a spot on the case due to the pinion gear being flipped for a 914. But the sensor for my case is different and would be on the drivers side. Does anyone know if the sensor that is there will work of i trace the wires and hook it up or does it need to be moved due to the flipped gear also?

P.S. Please excuse the grease and oil. I'm going to figure that out while under there too.

The speedo pickup that's on the left side of the 915 case will not work with a flipped r and p for the 914 use. I just went through this with PMS when they built my 916 gear box. PMS offers a bracket and sensor that mounts to the right side cv joint. This will communicate with your electric speedo. I posted pics of it for you. The bracket that holds the sensor is mounted on the side cover as shown in my pic. As far as your oil leak goes... make sure that the vent on top of the trans is pointed in the correct direction. When the 915 is used in the 914 the vent direction also needs to changed as well. That is if the oil leak is gear oil ?
sharper
Thanks! That is certainly an easier solution. So the sensor in my pic is on the right side and goes through the side cover. Just curious if it is affected by flipping the ring and pinion or is it just wishful thinking that it will work?
ClayPerrine
You can always drive the speedo via GPS.

GPS Driven 911 speedometer.

mepstein
QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Jul 13 2020, 11:10 AM) *

You can always drive the speedo via GPS.

GPS Driven 911 speedometer.

I'm using one on my suby (engine and trans) build.
Steve
I'm running a stock 911 electronic speedo with my Martin Bott 915. If the trans had an electric speedo pickup, after flipping the ring gear it will be on the passenger side. I bought a Wevo billet side plate with the hole for the sensor. I used a metal tab from Home Depot to keep it in place. Works great never had an issue with it. Speedo is 5mph fast with my 245/50/17" tires.
ClayPerrine
If you want to run the 915 without making any major mods, just replace the bearings on the differential. Then setup the diff with the sender ring behind the ring gear instead of on the opposite side.

Click to view attachment

This is a picture of the differential out of a 915. The ring on the top is the magnet ring that creates the pulses in the puck on the side of the case. Those pulses are picked up by the speedo to indicate speed. If you pull the bearings, and move the magnet ring to the other side. it will again be up against the puck and will drive the speedo.

The downside is that you have to completely redo the differential setup.

The late Wes Hildreth did this on one 915 trans he installed in a customer's 914. It worked fine, but it was a lot of work to get the differential setup correctly. Luckily the customer was paying to have a quaife installed at the same time.

Clay

scallyk9
QUOTE(Steve @ Jul 13 2020, 08:45 AM) *

I'm running a stock 911 electronic speedo with my Martin Bott 915. If the trans had an electric speedo pickup, after flipping the ring gear it will be on the passenger side. I bought a Wevo billet side plate with the hole for the sensor. I used a metal tab from Home Depot to keep it in place. Works great never had an issue with it. Speedo is 5mph fast with my 245/50/17" tires.

I tried to do this but the special WEVO side plate with sensor mount is no long being produced. After ordering one and waiting for two months, CMS modified one of their 915 billet side plates to accept a G50 sensor. WEVO had warned me that it would be at least a two month wait and did not charge me. Good company and I've used some of their other products but the sensor plate and 915 to 914 shift conversion kit seem to be NLA.
sharper
QUOTE(Steve @ Jul 13 2020, 11:45 AM) *

I think this answers my question. The pic I included with the sensor is on the passenger side and in the side cover plate; which clearly was made with the hole for the sensor. I assume with the internals flipped that I should be good to go.
GeorgeRud
When I installed a Vellios 915 conversion in my old car, the sensor on the cover plate worked fine with the internal magnet ring like Wes Hildreth did.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.