Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Overcharging battery 1972 1.7
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
MNnewbie
Checked the voltage to the battery at idle and showed 16V. I now know why the new Bosch battery I bought only lasted 2 years until it was dry. Where is the voltage regulator located? Seems that is probably the first thing I should replace. Although I do have some random electrical quirks that might be ground related.
Turn signal stays on when key is off if engaged and one of the headlight has been cycling when I turn them off.
VaccaRabite
Voltage regulator is located across the engine bay from the battery on the relay board. Sounds like it needs replacement.

Zach
FlacaProductions
Turn signal staying on is correct and an intended feature. Often needed/required in europe when parking to make it easier to see.

re: headlight motor cycling - check these threads for a start:
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...t+motor+cycling

You may also swap the headlight motor relays and see if the problem follows along.
Maury4
I had a1975 911 doing that. it would go to 18+ volts. After several VRs, I went and cleaned every ground I could find in the car. There are a bunch behind the dash. And that is what finally fixed it. Might try that first. I was amazed at what started working.

Rick Maury
MNnewbie
QUOTE(VaccaRabite @ Jul 14 2020, 08:31 AM) *

Voltage regulator is located across the engine bay from the battery on the relay board. Sounds like it needs replacement.

Zach

Thanks on both pieces of information. I think I will try Pelican for a new one.
MNnewbie
QUOTE(Maury4 @ Jul 14 2020, 10:54 AM) *

I had a1975 911 doing that. it would go to 18+ volts. After several VRs, I went and cleaned every ground I could find in the car. There are a bunch behind the dash. And that is what finally fixed it. Might try that first. I was amazed at what started working.

Rick Maury

Thanks, Rick, hoping cleaning up the grounds clears up the winking headlight also
MNnewbie
QUOTE(FlacaProductions @ Jul 14 2020, 09:48 AM) *

Turn signal staying on is correct and an intended feature. Often needed/required in europe when parking to make it easier to see.

re: headlight motor cycling - check these threads for a start:
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...t+motor+cycling

You may also swap the headlight motor relays and see if the problem follows along.

Brian, thanks for jogging my memory regarding the turn signal. Once I get the charging issue resolved I plan on working on the headlight. Appreciate the link!
porschetub
QUOTE(MNnewbie @ Jul 15 2020, 07:59 AM) *

Zach

Avoid buying the China made Hella one,they don't fit very well ...as me how I know.
MNnewbie
QUOTE(porschetub @ Jul 14 2020, 12:57 PM) *

QUOTE(MNnewbie @ Jul 15 2020, 07:59 AM) *

Zach

Avoid buying the China made Hella one,they don't fit very well ...as me how I know.

Any recommendations on an alternate? Thats the only one they have currently
FlacaProductions
Is this one correct?
https://www.sunsetporscheparts.com/oem-part...nor-90160320603

I have one as a backup from Sunset but the p/n was:
901-603-206-02 - superseded? @porschetub

Not sure country of origin on mine...
914Sixer
Yes buy the one from Porsche. DO not mess with the aftermarkets. Your back up will work just fine.
MNnewbie
QUOTE(FlacaProductions @ Jul 14 2020, 05:17 PM) *

Is this one correct?
https://www.sunsetporscheparts.com/oem-part...nor-90160320603

I have one as a backup from Sunset but the p/n was:
901-603-206-02 - superseded? @porschetub

Not sure country of origin on mine...

Ended up with a Beru model-need a little modification to mount it but charging nicely around 14V now. Thanks again for everyone's feedback.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.