Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Fuel Pump Q
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Robarabian
The car is a 1971 that I just purchased from the original owner. Sat for several years, father / son project. We have gone through the systems; cleaned the gas tank; blown out the fuel lines; changed the tank lines and several others that were suspect.

After going through pre-start up procedures, we connected everything up with fresh fuel. The car started pretty quickly but I noticed fuel started leaking at the pump.

My inspection revealed fuel is sealed around the pump fittings, but fuel is leaking from the pump itself, in the area of the electric connector.

New pumps seem to be 400 bucks for a "3 port" item. Is there a work around with a less expensive pump, ie., a single port?

Thank you for the knowledge here in this community, I could not have learned all I have without reading all the wisdom.

Photo of the car attached...hopefully. Click to view attachment
ndfrigi
Hello, you can just use late fuel pump and Napa sells them. Less fuel lines. 1 line from tank supply to inlet of fuel pump and 1 return line goes straight to tank return line. 3 ports has 2 return line split.

any updated picture of your car to share? that picture seems to be taken when you bought it.
Beeliner
I just ordered one from Auto Atlanta yesterday.
$95 ish

smile.gif

Robarabian
Thank you for the insight. I will hit Napa online now.

I got it Thursday!! so yes, it is taken as I got it.. but here is one with my kids, aka, my pit crew tearing it down a bit yesterday...Click to view attachment
Rand
I had good luck with this one. I don't see the need to spend more than $25 on a new pump.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07B5ZZR7...=UTF8&psc=1
Robarabian
So the photo shows a pump with one inlet and one outlet... do you just add a "Y" connector for the return line and block the other off? Sorry if I sound dumb, but my other 914 is a suby and my prior cars were all carbureted. So I am trying to keep this car fuel injected since it is complete.

QUOTE(ndfrigi @ Jul 19 2020, 03:46 PM) *

Hello, you can just use late fuel pump and Napa sells them. Less fuel lines. 1 line from tank supply to inlet of fuel pump and 1 return line goes straight to tank return line. 3 ports has 2 return line split.

any updated picture of your car to share? that picture seems to be taken when you bought it.

ndfrigi
then borrow a loaner tool (fuel pressure test) from Napa or Pepboys or Oreily’s to confirm that you will get between 28 and 30 psi.
Robarabian
I found Jeff bowlsby’s diagram. Figured it out. I’ll order that BMW pump. Thanks to you guys!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.