Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Thinking of re-powering my SBC V8 car
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Rider914
I have a '72 that has been V8 converted for the last 30 years.
The old SBC is tired and leaky and I would love to switch to an LS for more power and fuel injection. Definitely LS3 or maybe LS7 if they have fixed the valve problems. Minimum of 600 hp, more is better. It has massive tires so traction isn't a problem.
I could be talked into turbos...

Must ditch the 901 tail-shifter. The Boxter S sounds promising. I dream of a sequential but $$.

Car is a garage queen that will get some track but 98% street and shows. 200 miles a year.

What crate engine should I look at? ECU/Spark?

Just trying to get the budget numbers. Would like to shoot for $20k or so.

Thanks
ClayPerrine
QUOTE(Rider914 @ Jul 21 2020, 11:31 AM) *

The old SBC is tired and leaky and I would love to switch to an LS for more power and fuel injection. Definitely LS3 or maybe LS7 if they have fixed the valve problems. Minimum of 600 hp, more is better. It has massive tires so traction isn't a problem.

Must ditch the 901 tail-shifter. The Boxter S sounds promising. I dream of a sequential but $$.

Car is a garage queen that will get some track but 98% street and shows. 200 miles a year.

Thanks

The Cayman 6 speed would be easier to install in a V-8 car than what I did for mine. And you can buy a sequential shifter conversion for it too. Axles are available that will just bolt up with no issues. (BTDT).

Clay

Cairo94507
Spend some time reading @tygaboy Chris's thread. He has an LS with a 6 speed Boxster transaxle and a whole lot more. He is around 650HP if I remember correctly. I think there is so much that goes into making a 914 with that kind of HP safe. Chris, Tony and several others have been there and wrote the book. I do not think $20K is going to do it safely with a 600HP engine.
Rider914
QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ Jul 21 2020, 12:41 PM) *

Spend some time reading @tygaboy Chris's thread. He has an LS with a 6 speed Boxster transaxle and a whole lot more. He is around 650HP if I remember correctly. I think there is so much that goes into making a 914 with that kind of HP safe. Chris, Tony and several others have been there and wrote the book. I do not think $20K is going to do it safely with a 600HP engine.

It currently has about 375hp and needs way more - Already has roll bar, giant tires, brakes, and suspension. I'm tired of the burning eyes from carburetor and tip-toeing around the sloppy and weak 901.

Safe? yeah definitely not, no TC, ABS or airbags, but I also stunt motorcycles for fun lol. I won't be letting my grandma drive it.

I will check out Chris and Tony - Thanks!
thelogo
QUOTE(Rider914 @ Jul 21 2020, 09:31 AM) *

Thanks

600 horse engine in a 914 ?
Is it for bonnelville or what

Just use a afterburning turbofan .
Whats really the difference at that point

I mean is this seceretly gerald weigart posting ? .
And can we see pic of this 200 mile a year show car?
Rider914

600 horse engine in a 914 ?
Is it for bonnelville or what

Just use a afterburning turbofan .
Whats really the difference at that point

I mean is this seceretly gerald weigart posting ? .
And can we see pic of this 200 mile a year show car?
[/quote]

Lol - Its definately not a show car, just goes to car shows for fun... Some old pictures of it around here somewhere. Used to be a daily driver - burried in a garage for last 10 years.
tygaboy
"If more is better then too much is just enough!" aktion035.gif

My LS3 dyno'd 518 hp/464 torque at the crank.
Tony's (screen name Cracker) has an LS7 that dyno'd 533 hp at the wheels.

We both run the Boxster 6-speed (G86-20) and Renegade adapter set up.
I have Boxster calipers, Tony has 997s up front and Boxster S on the rear, if I recall correctly. Both run GT flares w/9" rear wheels. Tony's car has some mods to the rear flares and I think he can get a 275 under his. I'm limited to 245.

Tony uses his nearly exclusively as a track car and he sports a big front splitter and big rear wing. He runs with the 911 Cup cars. Yes, he and his car are FAST.

Mine is designed as to be a "race rod": Some elements of race car, some of hot rod. I may do an occasional track day but for me, it's more about the journey of the design and build process.

That's a long way around to: Sure, go big power! Just don't skimp on an appropriate trans, braking system, chassis and safety upgrades. I figure I'll be traction limited with the power I'll have - especially on street tires - so I'm not interested in chasing more. Just my opinion...

I'd be happy to share anything I may know. PM me if you'd like to chat at some point.
Chris
tygaboy
I forgot to mention that I'm running the Borla 8-stack set up with Holley HP ECU. Stock cam and reversed turbo-forward headers. Borla mentioned that I could expect at least 50 more hp by just swapping in a cam upgrade. See my build thread for pics as well as a video of it on the dyno.

I do have the stock LS intake / valley tray that has already been modified to run reversed. Along with that, a never installed Current Performance reverse intake engine loom, stock computer, throttle body and DBW throttle pedal. I might be talked into selling.
thelogo
Thread hyjack .since this seems to be the crowd
Is this a steal ... Great price or crack pipe . ?

https://losangeles.craigslist.org/wst/cto/d...7160940133.html
burton73
Get a 915 with wevo kit for trans or a 930 4 speed with cable shifting like I have for my V8 car. The question is do you need that much power. I thought I wanted over 600 HP just because my 930 and 930 CVs can take the big power but a number of guys say that is just too much and the tires will never get traction. I have always thought more is better

Bob B

I do not know this builder but there are a number of builders across the country.

537 HP
“THE BEAST”
The ultimate “street-and-strip” small block Chevy. When celebrities or hardcore Chevy enthusiasts want the best money can buy, it’s a no brainer. We offer 3 cam different selections that range from 525 to 550 HP customizing your ultimate engine to sound and perform just the way you want it! Pricing starting at $8,300! Fule Injection

https://westcoastengines.com/383-stroker/

• 537 HP / 499 TQ
• Street-and-Track
• 91 Premium Pump Gas
• Lopey Sound
• 3 Year Warranty

Click to view attachment
Andyrew
We've got an twin turbo LS6 914 coming out sometime around the end of the year and can tell you impressions then, but realistically its hard to put down traction much above 500CHP on the street on street tires...

See if you can get a ride in a 500hp 914. Its a different ball game than 375HP.
Chris914n6
For 200 miles a year ??

$1200 on a FiTech carb replacement and be done.
dan10101
QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Jul 21 2020, 09:35 AM) *

chowtime.gif
The Cayman 6 speed would be easier to install in a V-8 car than what I did for mine. And you can buy a sequential shifter conversion for it too. Axles are available that will just bolt up with no issues. (BTDT).

Clay

You had me at sequential... chowtime.gif
Rand
QUOTE(thelogo @ Jul 21 2020, 01:05 PM) *

See the first post. It's what they are trying to get away from. Cast iron blocks not ideal in a light car.
thelogo
QUOTE(Rand @ Jul 21 2020, 04:35 PM) *

QUOTE(thelogo @ Jul 21 2020, 01:05 PM) *

See the first post. It's what they are trying to get away from. Cast iron blocks not ideal in a light car.

Great price though right ?
a flared finished car for 18k ... Thats pretty ideal
Id be going turbo /4 if i got it
Mueller
If KEP makes an adapter setup for the Gen V LS replacement motor I'd go with Porsche 6 speed transaxle and LV1 V6 and turbo it. Basically it is the new LT1 engine with 2 less cylinders.

Shorter so it'll fit better. There is a Grand National on youtube I've seen that is pretty impressive with this motor in it.
Rider914
QUOTE(Chris914n6 @ Jul 21 2020, 07:22 PM) *

For 200 miles a year ??

$1200 on a FiTech carb replacement and be done.

Now you sound like my wife lol. Except she says sell it...

But yes that would be the smart thing - Good advice - perhaps just do a cable or hydraulic shifter conversion to the 901. It is really sloppy.
Rider914
QUOTE(Andyrew @ Jul 21 2020, 06:40 PM) *

We've got an twin turbo LS6 914 coming out sometime around the end of the year and can tell you impressions then, but realistically its hard to put down traction much above 500CHP on the street on street tires...

Yeah anything over 500hp is probably just mine is bigger than yours d*ck waving but you know I like mine to be bigger than yours. And I am used to sportbikes and the pull they have from 60-150. I just sold my ZX-10R that would rip your arms off at 100.

I am in love with the sound of the V8 with a heavy cam, it is the sound of my people so I wouldn't consider any other engine even if it is better...
Rider914
QUOTE(burton73 @ Jul 21 2020, 05:45 PM) *

Get a 915 with wevo kit for trans or a 930 4 speed with cable shifting like I have for my V8 car. The question is do you need that much power. I thought I wanted over 600 HP just because my 930 and 930 CVs can take the big power but a number of guys say that is just too much and the tires will never get traction. I have always thought more is better

Bob B

Bob - Whats the rough price difference bettwen a prepped 915 / 930 and a prepped Boxter S? Advantages?

Thanks
Jett
I have an LS2 crate motor with a new ProCharger (gear driven) supercharger, and FAST electronics (cost was $21k). There are zero miles, and would let it go for $15K. Would love to put the motor in a pre 50’s Chevy truck, but if you want to put it in a 914 smile.gif

I replaced the motor setup with a 700HP LS7 (sodium filled titanium valves), with the computer and upgraded Holley fuel injection, it cost $34K total —with a 15% discount on the LS7 at the time. Additionally the chassis and rear end needed to support the power. Art Morrison created a one-off frame to handle the power and added a very sophisticated four link.
Rider914
QUOTE(Jett @ Jul 22 2020, 10:29 AM) *

I have an LS2 crate motor with a new ProCharger (gear driven) supercharger, and FAST electronics (cost was $21k). There are zero miles, and would let it go for $15K. Would love to put the motor in a pre 50’s Chevy truck, but if you want to put it in a 914 smile.gif

I replaced the motor setup with a 700HP LS7 (sodium filled titanium valves), with the computer and upgraded Holley fuel injection, it cost $34K total —with a 15% discount on the LS7 at the time. Additionally the chassis and rear end needed to support the power. Art Morrison created a one-off frame to handle the power and added a very sophisticated four link.

Is that LS7 in a 914? Wow
dwillouby
Hi.

Had a SBC in my 914 for about 15 years. Basically driven to shows etc.. Ditched the carb for a Fast EZ EFI system about 4 years back. Made a big difference in the drivability. Swapped out the 901 for a Boxster S 6 speed a couple years back. Shifts like a new car. Just installed a 07 LS2 this year. Major difference Much more civilized around town driving, Over heating issues seem to go away, Scary fast. Car is a narrow body with 5 lug, big brakes, chassis bracing etc.. In just the motor install I have about 12K.

David
Andyrew
QUOTE(Rider914 @ Jul 22 2020, 06:26 AM) *

Bob B

Bob - Whats the rough price difference bettwen a prepped 915 / 930 and a prepped Boxter S? Advantages?

Thanks

930 is strong , but shifts like dog doo doo. Stay boxster S if you keep it under 600HP.
thelogo
QUOTE(Rider914 @ Jul 22 2020, 06:24 AM) *

QUOTE(Andyrew @ Jul 21 2020, 06:40 PM) *

Yeah anything over 500hp is probably just mine is bigger than yours d*ck waving but you know I like mine to be bigger than yours. And I am used to sportbikes and the pull they have from 60-150. I just sold my ZX-10R that would rip your arms off at 100.

I am in love with the sound of the V8 with a heavy cam, it is the sound of my people so I wouldn't consider any other engine even if it is better...

Seems like even the sky isnt the limit for custom smallblock builds bye1.gif
So these v8/914 cars im assuming would give
The 3.6 conversion ( not a slow car )guy all they could bye1.gif handle ???
thelogo
QUOTE(Andyrew @ Jul 22 2020, 09:33 AM) *

QUOTE(Rider914 @ Jul 22 2020, 06:26 AM) *

Bob B

Thanks

930 is strong , but shifts like dog doo doo. Stay boxster S if you keep it under 600HP.

When is the 911 7 speed box coming

Id say overkill but you are talking 500plus horses
ValcoOscar
IMHO

200HP +/- 20 HP is a sweet spot for most of our 914's. 6 cyl 3.2L is beerchug.gif .
Unless you're going to track your 914 just stay with what you have. I have about 365HP in my LS914 and it's a bit much for my intended use. As previously stated, LS 914's can be very civil. A bonus is if you add HEAT/AC....that's what I'm doing.

Oscar
Click to view attachment
Rider914
QUOTE(ValcoOscar @ Jul 22 2020, 01:54 PM) *

IMHO

200HP +/- 20 HP is a sweet spot for most of our 914's. 6 cyl 3.2L is beerchug.gif .
Unless you're going to track your 914 just stay with what you have. I have about 365HP in my LS914 and it's a bit much for my intended use. As previously stated, LS 914's can be very civil. A bonus is if you add HEAT/AC....that's what I'm doing.

Oscar

Oscar - What Transaxle are you running?
ValcoOscar
QUOTE(Rider914 @ Jul 22 2020, 11:08 AM) *

IMHO

Oscar

Currently 901, drivetrain is dialed in. I do have a Boxster S trans, mount , cable shifter ready to go in later.

Click to view attachment
Rider914
QUOTE(ValcoOscar @ Jul 22 2020, 02:18 PM) *

IMHO

Oscar

Currently 901, drivetrain is dialed in. I do have a Boxster S trans, mount , cable shifter ready to go in later.

Click to view attachment

Nice! I love the electric Cut-Outs - I have straight pipes from the headers on mine, no cat requirements here in Florida so it will sting your eyes lol.

I have many miles on my 901 (Crappy Tailshifter) and it hasn't grenaded yet but I would really like something with tight shifting and less worry when on the throttle.
djway
QUOTE(Rider914 @ Jul 22 2020, 11:46 AM) *

QUOTE(ValcoOscar @ Jul 22 2020, 02:18 PM) *

IMHO

Oscar

Click to view attachment

Nice! I love the electric Cut-Outs - I have straight pipes from the headers on mine, no cat requirements here in Florida so it will sting your eyes lol.

I have many miles on my 901 (Crappy Tailshifter) and it hasn't grenaded yet but I would really like something with tight shifting and less worry when on the throttle.

I don't think those are Cats, just mini mufflers. I head this car a couple weeks ago and it seemed to have some sound dampening with the cutouts open.
I would go with the Boxster trans if I had the money. For my build I am going to have to keep my foot out off the line and use the 901. I found a used aluminum block LS1 with an LS 6 intake for just over a grand.
Have fun
tygaboy
Just remember that once you add the Boxster 6-speed, you have a bunch less space behind it than with SBC/901. And as some of you know, this pic is my car and it's AFTER the whole drive train was moved forward ~1.5 inches.

And if you opt to keep the trunk, muffler location starts to be fun. Think about Corvette exhaust manifolds as they move the collector forward and give you more room to play with.
burton73
Renegade is toting Boxster Trans these days as there are cheep and you can just pop a new used one in if you need it. With the big HP and engine torque if you are a rubber layer kind of guy the 915 and 930 boxes are going to hold up better in my option but we have race guys here that are using them in their cars. You have to look up current prices on the web for parts but you will be in for so much less money right for the Boxster trans. My 930 is set up with limited slip diff and oil cooling with pump. It is set up for racing and huge HP. 4 speed short length early ones

Dan has a 930 in his beast that is running, Andrew knows his stuff for sure so does Bob back east and a number of members, but if you want some current numbers today Renegade is more than happy to go over it with you on the phone. I paid $6,500 10 years ago.

Bob B

Andyrew
Speaking of Andrew "knowing" his stuff (Hardly, google is my best friend smile.gif )...

Heres a video of me going over the trans options and costs for the bare transmissions. I fast forwarded through the boring/non related bits. I know, I know.. I have a dull reading voice.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SrHfruXDcuw?t=149
burton73
QUOTE(Andyrew @ Jul 22 2020, 02:16 PM) *

Speaking of Andrew "knowing" his stuff (Hardly, google is my best friend smile.gif )...

Heres a video of me going over the trans options and costs for the bare transmissions. I fast forwarded through the boring/non related bits. I know, I know.. I have a dull reading voice.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SrHfruXDcuw?t=149

Done well Andrew! You know your stuff. Thank you

Bob B
Jett
QUOTE(Rider914 @ Jul 22 2020, 08:53 AM) *

QUOTE(Jett @ Jul 22 2020, 10:29 AM) *

Is that LS7 in a 914? Wow

smile.gif sorry, in a 67 Nova Wagon.

Had it a long time.....
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.