Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Six Conversion question
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Robarabian
I am looking at possibly purchasing a 6 to do a conversion (one day)...

The owner of the motor pulled it out of his 911 and installed a 3.2.

The motor has service records and was rebuilt at some point (full documentation) and at this time has about 70K on the rebuild.

He cannot remember if it comes with the ECM to run the CIS. It was crated by his employer when he moved from east coast to west coast. He still has the 911, is being transferred again out of state and does not want to schlep the motor across the country again.

My questions for those who have already converted, are those computers available? Expensive?

This item comes complete clutch / flywheel to exhaust manifolds, all the CIS. Says it is turn key and already had Carrera Tensioners installed. Just cant confirm he has the engine management system.

I know very little about CIS so this is why I am asking. it is a 2.7 engine.

Thank you.

Rob
mepstein
All the parts for 2.7 cis are very available. They didn’t use a computer. You often have to rebuild the wur and fd and that’s about $650. A 2.7 with 70k is almost due for a rebuild. That will be $5-12k if you do it yourself or $12-20k if you send it to a shop. Just the machine work on the case can easily cost $3k so there’s no way to do it on the cheap.
IronHillRestorations
I have not done a 2.7 conversion, but that is not a Lambda system so there's no ECM. I haven't done a CIS harness in several years, but pretty sure the only thing that requires power is fuel pump, warm up regulator, and CDI box. You should get a 3 pin CDI box, or some kind of ignition system with it.
Robarabian
These were the answers I needed. Thank you.
porschetub
QUOTE(Robarabian @ Jul 22 2020, 03:36 PM) *

These were the answers I needed. Thank you.

There were all sorts of mixtures with CIS FI ,some had an ignition ECU and other combinations such as KE-jet which was modernized CIS .
In short yours is a basic but good system for starting,driving,economy but not really for performance,just make sure the engine has been stored well as CIS can be a setup nightmare due to fuel system moisture.
70K on a rebuild would worry me,these engines had a rather short lifespan (US smog spec ) unless upgraded to a better exhaust,larger cooling fan,headstuds, etc ,etc and the right "modern" rebuild work done....worth checking.
Good luck on your very $$$$ journey but well worth it in the end...trust me on that.
mlindner
Aside from the induction, can he provide leak-down numbers and some good picture. If not, that engine should be pretty cheap if you still want it. Best, Mark
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.