Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Minimum Lift Height Needed To Pull Engine Out
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Ansbacher
I've searched and read a million articles on dropping the engine using floor jack(s) but cannot find a stated minimum in inches needed for clearance in the rear to pull it out. I can pull my carbs and oil breather box to lessen the vertical dimension of the engine and I will be removing the rear valence to provide more clearance. I have a low-profile jack and a Tangerine lift plate. Anyone have a ball park figure on the height needed from the ground to the back bottom of the car to get this beast out?
Car is a '74 2.0L. Thanks.

Ansbacher
nditiz1
Rhino Ramps.

Let me go measure. I only had my back wheels on Rhino Ramps and the carbs removed to drop the engine last time.
mepstein
I've done it a couple times with the rear wheels on metal ramps and the front wheels on the ground. Rear valance removed. Stock with the air cleaner and electric engine fan off.
bretth
I have done it with the rear tires sitting on five 2" x 8" boards under each tire. It was a tight fit but the rear bumper and valance were still attached. I think each 2 x 8 is actually 1.5" tall so my wheels were 7.5" off the ground (with compressed suspension) and I think the rear was about 24" off the ground. I lowered the engine and trans onto a furniture dolly and rolled it out the back.
Ansbacher
Mepstein: Did you have any problem with the engine bar clearing the ramps when pulling out to the rear?

Ansbacher
Ansbacher
Thanks Bretth, those are great numbers for me to chew on.

Ansbacher
mepstein
QUOTE(Ansbacher @ Jul 24 2020, 03:35 PM) *

Mepstein: Did you have any problem with the engine bar clearing the ramps when pulling out to the rear?

Ansbacher

No. You have to angle it and wiggle a bit to get it past the different chassis parts, axles and cv's but my advice, if this is your first time, is to take your time. Don't set a time goal, just go step by step and be safe and enjoy learning the process. It's so easy that even I can do it. My only mistake is I always forget to remove the trans ground strap and then have to do it with the engine balanced on the jack. Remove the strap first.
Ansbacher
Mepstein: Great advice. Yes, first time. Am retired and have all the time in the world to be methodic and careful. Plus I have a willing and strong helper in my neighbor across the street. Am looking forward to this job. At the end, I should have a new clutch and a trans and engine that doesn't leak.

Ansbacher
Superhawk996
QUOTE(mepstein @ Jul 24 2020, 03:49 PM) *

My only mistake is I always forget to remove the trans ground strap and then have to do it with the engine balanced on the jack. Remove the strap first.

lol-2.gif

Been there done that.

Great suggestion - Remove strap 1st. aktion035.gif
nditiz1
@Ansbacher I'm about to drop mine to hopefully seal up some head to cylinder air leaks as well as reseal some pushrod tubes with new tubes and seals, add a new thermostat, add new engine bay seals, install a new clutch, RMS,... beer3.gif beer3.gif beer3.gif
BillC
I put my car up on four 12" Race Ramps wheel cribs and had enough room to remove my engine (with air filter) without removing the rear valance. This was with the engine sitting on an old NAPA floor jack with the Tangerine Racing engine cradle.
76-914
QUOTE(bretth @ Jul 24 2020, 12:32 PM) *

I have done it with the rear tires sitting on five 2" x 8" boards under each tire. It was a tight fit but the rear bumper and valance were still attached. I think each 2 x 8 is actually 1.5" tall so my wheels were 7.5" off the ground (with compressed suspension) and I think the rear was about 24" off the ground. I lowered the engine and trans onto a furniture dolly and rolled it out the back.

agree.gif
SKL1
My '73 is on jack stands right now as I've removed the engine. Highest point was the oil filler. I'll measure tomorrow when I'm at the shop.

The engine has carbs though I took them off. Manifolds are lower than the oil filler.
jaredmcginness
With only reading the title, as I m mildly intoxicated, I needed about 2 feet of clearance, with all the fuel injection stuff to pull my motor.

4 jack stands did the job.
iankarr
I think my Quick Jack gets the frame 22" off the ground. I also take the rear valance off and the engine clears fine. Wihtout the air filter box on, of course.

You never forget your first time wink.gif Hope this helps...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FMesGrjgcvg
dangrouche
QUOTE(Ansbacher @ Jul 24 2020, 11:34 AM) *

I've searched and read a million articles on dropping the engine using floor jack(s) but cannot find a stated minimum in inches needed for clearance in the rear to pull it out. I can pull my carbs and oil breather box to lessen the vertical dimension of the engine and I will be removing the rear valence to provide more clearance. I have a low-profile jack and a Tangerine lift plate. Anyone have a ball park figure on the height needed from the ground to the back bottom of the car to get this beast out?
Car is a '74 2.0L. Thanks.

Ansbacher

I have to find a picture I did it about 11 years ago; it was about 25 inches. also here is a pic of the rear hub (yes I am studded with spacers) I did not remove the rear valance. I have the 2.0 liter with fuel injection, but obviously removed the air cleaner assembly, leaving the throttle body exposed. lemme find that pictureClick to view attachmentClick to view attachment
SKL1
Just over 22" from ground to bottom of rear valance. Highest part the oil filler neck.Click to view attachment
Ansbacher
You guys have really gone all out answering my query. I really appreciate all the input, pictures, measurements, and encouragement. I will probably tackle the drop next weekend.

Thanks everybody !!!!

Ansbacher
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.