Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Replacing the lug bolts with studs and nuts
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Mcraneiowa
An item on my list that I would like to consider replacing are the lug-bolts on my 914 with studs and Lug-nuts. I have aftermarket wheels that require fairly long bolts one of which I am missing and so far have been very hard to find. Also, when I went to tighten my wheels up the other day I realized one is slightly stripped. What does it entail to switch it out to studs with lugnuts? Studs with lugnuts seem much easier to work with than the bolts. I’d like to hear peoples pros and cons regarding this subject. Thanks
davep
While it is not a bad idea I think you should first explore the availability of the nuts that you would need to use. Aftermarket wheels often use custom shaped seats and thus come with custom lug-bolts. So, make sure that whatever lug-nuts your will need are available with the correct thread for the studs, and correct seat for the wheels.
The other issue could be with the fit of the studs in the holes of the front rotors and rear hubs.
IronHillRestorations
Pretty sure PMB sells screw in wheel studs. As long as you are staying 4 lug, and the lugs have the proper seats (as davep mentions), screw in studs aren't a terrible option. I'd probably locktite them though.
Nojoah
QUOTE(IronHillRestorations @ Jul 25 2020, 08:25 PM) *

Pretty sure PMB sells screw in wheel studs. As long as you are staying 4 lug, and the lugs have the proper seats (as davep mentions), screw in studs aren't a terrible option. I'd probably locktite them though.

Definitely locktite. agree.gif
73-914
Best thing I ever did on my Audi A4 quattro
Literati914
QUOTE(IronHillRestorations @ Jul 25 2020, 07:25 PM) *

I'm gonna add studs too, but I prefer press in studs.. just seems safer to me (confidence is a +). Of course they'd have to be pressed out and re-installed into replacement front rotors when the old rotors are replaced (expense is a -) . Ball seat nuts if using fuchs or any porsche wheel, and probably all replicas.

Costa05
Looking to do the same thing on my car with longer studs. My car has what I think is original four lug studs but they are too short for my new 2.0 Fuchs I just bought. Current wheels are orig Rivs. Are original studs just threaded in for both front and back or pressed in? I think the fronts thread in but not sure on the back.
Rich
jfort
I did it for a six. Got the longer studs and open nuts from Elephant Racing. I ordered the rears too long. Quick turn around to get the right ones. Great customer service. Didn't need a press. They pound out and pull right in when tightened. Be sure to test and re-torque a little later.
Literati914
QUOTE(Costa05 @ Jul 28 2020, 03:26 PM) *

..My car has what I think is original four lug studs but they are too short for my new 2.0 Fuchs I just bought. ..
Rich

2.0 Fuchs means you have a 914 w/4 lug - and I'm sure non came from the factory with studs.. lug bolts only. Now the /6 cars.. I'm not sure, but I do think they did come with studs.

QUOTE(jfort @ Jul 28 2020, 03:30 PM) *

I did it for a six. Got the longer studs and open nuts from Elephant Racing. I ordered the rears too long. Quick turn around to get the right ones. Great customer service. Didn't need a press. They pound out and pull right in when tightened. Be sure to test and re-torque a little later.

What length did you end up using? Got pics?

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.