Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Fuel line/hose grommet for engine tin question
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
messick
So, replacing fuel lines and hoses in my -6 conversion, and wondering about the engine tin grommet part.

Here is a picture of where my fuel line comes from from the pump and through the tin to the fuel accumulator, and that circle slightly down and to the left is where the return hose went through. Apologies for the pine needles, I want to get the engine at least somewhat running before I drop it and trans and just clean the hell out of everything.
IPB Image

So, I bought one "engine shelf grommet" from Tangerine Racing, since there was definitely a rotted out grommet where my return hose goes from the top of the engine, through the tin and to the return fuel line.

Here's the rotted grommet:
IPB Image

Here's the new one from Tangerine:
IPB Image

In case you can tell from my photos, the new one is definitely not what I needed to replace the rotted one. Besides being smaller, the new one is an oval. However, since I have a '70, I have two oval holes in the front bulkhead for the fuel lines that require a grommet each, instead of a larger hole that has one grommet for both fuel lines. So I need to put that grommet plus a second one up front anyway.

So, what should my engine tin grommet situation be? My current supply hardline is already going through an oval hole just like where I used my grommet up front, should that get one of these oval grommets? And if I'm doing that, should I be putting my 8mm return hose through another grommet in that empty oval hole to the upper right? Or, if I should continue to use the original ~1in round hole, where can I find a grommet that fits that?

I looked around, and I couldn't any diagrams of which tin hole gets what line and what grommet. I'm actually not 100% sure these are standard holes since this is a conversion.

Thanks all.
barefoot
For the oval hole, got mine from 914 Rubber.

Barefoot
jfort
on factory six (unless it was changed before I got it) the metal gas line goes through the oval hole using the grommet pictured above. I ended up replacing the metal line with a rubber one to I could add another fuel filter above the tin but the old grommet still worked
ejm
QUOTE(messick @ Jul 27 2020, 02:28 PM) *

So, what should my engine tin grommet situation be? I looked around, and I couldn't any diagrams of which tin hole gets what line and what grommet.

Factory sixes didn't have CIS injection and almost every conversion is done differently. So there is no diagram of your installation. Find a place that sells an assortment of grommets, make some measurements and get what works.
messick
QUOTE(ejm @ Jul 27 2020, 02:43 PM) *

So, what should my engine tin grommet situation be? I looked around, and I couldn't any diagrams of which tin hole gets what line and what grommet.

Factory sixes didn't have CIS injection and almost every conversion is done differently. So there is no diagram of your installation. Find a place that sells an assortment of grommets, make some measurements and get what works.

Yeah good point. Although, it's even worse than that, since I was originally mistaken and those holes aren't even in the engine tin, but in the body of the car itself. There was some welding done around there, and it's possible the sheet with the holes was welded in later. I don't have another 914 around to check.

In any case, I'm going to try out the grommets from Tangerine, and if those don't work, I will try to find something on McMaster-Carr or whatever for that circle hole.
messick
QUOTE(messick @ Jul 28 2020, 10:07 AM) *

QUOTE(ejm @ Jul 27 2020, 02:43 PM) *

Yeah good point. Although, it's even worse than that, since I was originally mistaken and those holes aren't even in the engine tin, but in the body of the car itself. There was some welding done around there, and it's possible the sheet with the holes was welded in later. I don't have another 914 around to check.

In any case, I'm going to try out the grommets from Tangerine, and if those don't work, I will try to find something on McMaster-Carr or whatever for that circle hole.

So, talked to Chris at Tangerine and turns out that 1.5" hole is for the engine tray drip tube, and since I don't have the tray, that hole was repurposed for the fuel return line.

Here's the new grommet from the bird site:
IPB Image

Here it is installed:
IPB Image
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.