Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: New URO Part: Upper Rear Trunk Post
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
914Sixer
Nice item to reproduce but we all know they were yellow cad not clear. No attention to detail.
UROpartsman
^ Actually that's not true. We'd love to make Trunk Lock Striker Plate 914 512 041 11 with the yellow cad plating (we definitely tried when we began developing it almost two years ago), but yellow cad is fast becoming illegal nearly everywhere on the planet, including the factory where these are made.

Compliance with environmental law isn't a lack of attention to detail. It's the same reason many Porsche Classic parts are no longer yellow cad.
914Sixer
Why not yellow zinc? Readily available at any plating service.
CHIZ 914
agree.gif you can get yellow zinc that is Rohs complaint with no chromate
johnhora
Yellow or Silver???
I just appreciate the fact that at least someone is still making new parts for my 50 year old car....Thank You!
RoadGlue
QUOTE(johnhora @ Jul 29 2020, 02:27 PM) *

Yellow or Silver???
I just appreciate the fact that at least someone is still making new parts for my 50 year old car....Thank You!

agree.gif
UROpartsman
Well, it depends on which side of "original" you want to be on - more vivid yellow or less yellow than original. Yellow zinc is indeed available (it's basically white zinc with yellow dye added), but it's often a more intense yellow than the original CAD plated assembly (see bottom photo of assembly, with tag attached).

Also note that our bushing is the same material and color as original, and isn't bright white like some replacement bushings. Not that you'd want to replace only the bushing anyway - the locking pin usually wears out too, resulting in a "locked" lid that can be opened with a slight upward tug.

QUOTE(bbrock @ Jun 14 2019, 03:09 PM) *
The guy who plated these parts is just fabulous shades.gif

IPB Image
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.