Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: What Carbs should I get.....
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
malcolm2
OK the BUS engine is ready for tins, etc... I don't have carbs tho. I figured I would get stock-ish carbs. Air Cooled dot net experts say to go with weber 40 IDFs. My 1st thought was the Solex 34 PDSI.

Engine is TIV 1.7 built to oem 2.0. In a bus of course. Got some assume New Camper Special Heads. IIRC they are ported like the 2.0. Got the 9590 cam from Type 4 store for carbs.

So what should I get?

Click to view attachment
nditiz1
Weber 40s and some good linkage either CSP or Tangerine if you can spare the coin.
CB Performance Manifolds if buying separately. I can't remember if Johns kit comes with manifolds. I never liked the short ones. Air cleaners you can also go with the non-crossbar base, filter, and top. Go with the standard jets John provides at first which is what stock 40s come with. That will be a good starting point. You should also get a wideband so you can dial the jets in.
IronHillRestorations
I'd probably go with Weber 40 IDF's too. The rub is finding a good set. I've never had my hands on the Chinese knock offs, but I haven't heard glowing reports. I'd love to see a good dyno analysis of the different ones available. There's a few different brands of import knockvoffs on Bezosmart but I'll bet they are from the same manufacturer, and reviews are iffy. I don't know how good the brand new Webers are either.
bbrock
I ran Weber 34 ICTs on my bus many years ago and liked them.
GregAmy
What are the good IDFs worth and how do you identify the good ones? I have a pair I may sell but I'm a Dellorto guy (40 DRLAs in my race car, with a pair of 45s tempting me).
Bleyseng
QUOTE(bbrock @ Jul 29 2020, 10:29 PM) *

Too small with Camper Special heads! Get Weber 40's
TheCabinetmaker
I thought the 9590 was a fuel injection cam?
malcolm2
QUOTE(TheCabinetmaker @ Jul 30 2020, 10:35 AM) *

If I remember correctly the 9550 is the FI. I believe that is what I put in my 1911 cc engine in my 914.

The type4 store is sorely lacking product info and descriptions, etc.... But I am pretty sure I called or emailed and told them what I was doing and they sent the RAT-9590. Still have the box, and I just checked the part# to be certain.

Too many to choose from, there is no way I would have just picked it out. But if it is FI, I am stuck with it.

Dirty rusty carbs.

Click to view attachment
SirAndy
Might be too late, but many, many moons ago i put a 2.0L T4 with D-Jet in my '74 bus.
That thing was a blast to drive!

So my vote is D-Jet or L-Jet injection ...
biggrin.gif
bbrock
QUOTE(Bleyseng @ Jul 30 2020, 09:29 AM) *

Ah, good catch. I didn't notice the note about heads. I was running them on a stock motor.
malcolm2
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Jul 30 2020, 12:59 PM) *

Might be too late, but many, many moons ago i put a 2.0L T4 with D-Jet in my '74 bus.

biggrin.gif

I did consider L-Jet.

This engine is out of a 914. @Pilothyer pretty much gave me a 1.8 long block that he drove around the block and took out. I probably should have just found a FI system and put in on there. I would have been driving this bus last year.

I am pretty sure, maybe 75 VW started putting L-jet in the bus. So I probably could still find one and have 2 70's cars with the same set up.

Clark
malcolm2
QUOTE(bbrock @ Jul 30 2020, 02:22 PM) *

QUOTE(Bleyseng @ Jul 30 2020, 09:29 AM) *

Ah, good catch. I didn't notice the note about heads. I was running them on a stock motor.

Again, if I remember correctly HAM makes the CS heads for Type4store that are ported like the porsche 2.0 heads.

Maybe I should check with him on this set up. @HAM Inc
porschetub
QUOTE(malcolm2 @ Jul 31 2020, 07:25 AM) *

QUOTE(SirAndy @ Jul 30 2020, 12:59 PM) *

biggrin.gif

I did consider L-Jet.

This engine is out of a 914. @Pilothyer pretty much gave me a 1.8 long block that he drove around the block and took out. I probably should have just found a FI system and put in on there. I would have been driving this bus last year.

I am pretty sure, maybe 75 VW started putting L-jet in the bus. So I probably could still find one and have 2 70's cars with the same set up.

Clark

L-jet would be great if it works with your cam,I have an l-jet system and the ecu number indicates 1800 75 bus,I intend to fit it to a 411 1.7 FI motor I have.
There was a change in ecu's later on.
Bleyseng
QUOTE(TheCabinetmaker @ Jul 30 2020, 08:35 AM) *

It does work fine with FI- Djet or Ljet and even carbs just not the little 34 ICT's as the CS heads have the 42x36 valves and you would be under carbing it. Even the 1.8L 914's in Europe had 40 Solexes.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.