Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Combo/Temp Gauge Lighting Configuration
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
FlacaProductions
I have a combo gauge with integrated temp gauge (914 641 101 50) and I'd like to use the blank indicator lens position. Has anyone done or had this done?

My "additional/unused" indicator position already has a red lens in it which is held there by a piece of solid black tape. It appears OEM and I have seen others that look the same.

At first glance, you could just remove the reflector, (snip it out or bend it out of the way?), remove the tape and glue the lens in, fit a boot, insert an applicable lamp/lamp holder in the existing hole and be done...but that would then eliminate the gauge overall illumination. That's no good.

My next thought is to get an additional "boot" like the other indicators, cut it down so that it fits under the reflector, insert a small LED (secure it with silicone?) and route the wires through an existing screw hole (leave that screw out and fill it with silicone, etc) or drill an additional small hole. This would illuminate the lens (which is already red in my unit) but retain overall gauge illumination.

Thoughts?

Where can I get a couple of the rubber "boots"? It would involve some trial and error knowing me....

Click to view attachment
johnlush
I think your second idea would be easier and less invasive.

Many moons ago I built a couple of triple gauges from kits I picked up from Stephen Jacobs. Being a packrat, I have a bag with all of the leftover parts from that project including at least one of the rubber "tubes" which I'd be glad to share with you.

What is the function of your new indicator light?
FlacaProductions
Hi John - thanks for the backstop and the offer. I'll send you a PM.

The new indicator would be related to kill switch status. I just like the idea of it being in a stock location. When lit (activated) it wouldn't look out of place.
914forme
Interior Boot option is a good way to go. Lighting of the can, a bit of LED action, and you have interior lights.

If John does not have the parts, I must likely well. PM if you need them.

Piece inside that snaps to the light tube, then you add the rubber bellows, which also holds the lens.

Other words.

Small metal ring with two ends.
Rubber Tube
Lens
Gauge Face
Call kind of compressed together
Chris914n6
LED taped to the back of the blank lens would be the easiest.

Unless you want to do full LED lighting ala Spoke's system.
FlacaProductions
QUOTE(Chris914n6 @ Jul 30 2020, 02:33 PM) *

LED taped to the back of the blank lens would be the easiest.

Unless you want to do full LED lighting ala Spoke's system.

Thought about this - i can't seem to find a flat LED - or one that would be easy to tape back there - and then cover with black to keep it from illuminating the inside of the entire gauge when it lights up.
FlacaProductions
QUOTE(914forme @ Jul 30 2020, 02:09 PM) *

Small metal ring with two ends.
Rubber Tube
Lens
Gauge Face
Call kind of compressed together

Yep - that's how I have it in my head....which is a dangerous place to be.
914forme
LED 12v bulb and holder, and the lens then build it all in an assembly 3d print the surround. Glue it in place, run the leads out in a grommet.

easy peasy

example of the LED
914forme
:hiJack: Wait Spoke has LED gauge lighting now headbang.gif Jerry!!!!!!

Good did not find them on his site. a few $$$ saved
FlacaProductions
Ah - good find on the LEDs. Perfect!
Right now, I'll probably use the rubber boot and put the LED in it secured with RTV - under the reflector. I'll use an LED in the standard illumination hole - I've got LEDs in my other gauges already.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.