Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Changed my exhaust
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
drew365
I had two Flowmasters on my car. I always loved the sound but I also had a pair of Supertrapps and I wanted to try them out for the track. The Flowmasters were very loud, I set off alarms on pretty much every street I went down. I was afraid that the Supertrapps would be louder but they are actually much quieter even with all the plates in place which is supposed to be the loudest. I had flanges put on all four mufflers so I can interchange them. I'm thinking of going to a dyno shop and getting a reading with each muffler. Anyone have any bets on which will give more horsepower to the engine? Has anyone played with the number of plates on Supertrapps and can you tell much difference?
-P-
I believe removing the discs increases the sound.
Joe Bob
Nope....removing increases back pressure and quiets it...more discs the louder and freer flow it has.....
drew365
The instructions say: Less discs, quieter and more low end power. More discs, louder and more top end power. I'm going to experiment on the track to see if I can feel the difference but I'm kind of curious to see a dyno print out. One with the Flowmasters, one with the Supertrapps with no discs and one with all the discs. Anyone that has any experience with the Supertrapps I'd like to hear about it. I'll let you know if I get to the dyno this week.
Joe Bob
No dyno numbers......just seat of the pants. I added two discs to get a total of 12 on my dual outlets for my 3.6 motor.....the T-4 was running 8 discs for the single stinger. Seemed a good compromise.
Brad Roberts
We have tested all the combinations with SuperTrapp.. NO difference on a 8k RPM race engine. We where however using a 4 into 1 setup.

They are seriously designed for motorcycles where you can really adjust the torque band.

Let us know what you find.. we run one for Laguna Seca (92DB) and Sears Point. I hate it.. but it works to keep the noise down.

B
BravoHotel
Drew,

Can you post some b4 and after pics. Flowmasters v. Supertrapp...

BH
fuch toy
Yeah....the discs are a bitch to get off w/o using antisieze, byt then again any muffler bolt is like that. As to the chrome flaking off...mine are stainless steel....
drew365
I just looked at the original mufflers and they are MagnaFlow not Flowmaster. Sorry for the misinfo. The name was on top and I was told they were Flowmasters. Here is a pic of the Supertrapps.
drew365
And a close up:
drew365
Here are the MagnaFlows the way they were originally mounted. They have been reworked so they will come straight out like the SuperTrapps now. These are much louder than the SuperTrapps even with the 15 disks that are on the SuperTrapps.
drew365
Here is the MagnaFlow off the car.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.