Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: I want to keep my trans beautiful.
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Dr. Roger
it's fresh from the rebuilder and is clean. Not polished, although I am tempted to just polish the rear of the trans so if anyone peks under there at least there will be a little eye bling bling.

I'm thinking of going over the rear and bottom with the 3M pad and some rubbing compound to semi-polish it.

Maybe whip out the large angle grinder with a polishing pad on it and the rubbing compound.

But then what?
How to seal it?

Anyone done this?

Muchas gracias' for all you input. =-)
qa1142
Put a coat of wax on and stick it on a shelf

Or enjoy driving it wink.gif
Dr. Roger
What's that saying, "I want my cake and eat it too". biggrin.gif smile.gif wink.gif laugh.gif

I was thinking just a rattle can varathane.

Or would laqueur better?

Once that stuff is on, clean-up chores would be no problemo'....
ArtechnikA
without some kind of sealer the magnesium will grow white fuzzies in a hurry.
SirAndy
QUOTE (rogergrubb @ Jul 11 2005, 06:13 PM)
How to seal it?

this has been discussed before. i still vote for acrylic (sp?) clear coat ...

never tried it myself, so let me know if it works!
wink.gif Andy
Mueller
has anyone measured the temperture the outside of the case gets??

I know you can get a tape that'll turn colors once it hits a certain temp....

ArtechnikA
QUOTE (Mueller @ Jul 11 2005, 09:52 PM)
has anyone measured the temperture the outside of the case gets?

figure < 250F.

above that and you're not draining the old oil through the hole in the case, you're taking it out with spoons and scrapers.

in a 914, behind the engine and above the exhaust, i have no doubt it reaches over 200F.

when the 911RSR's hit 300HP (at 2,8 liters) the transmissions got a trombone cooler on the left side of the car, to match the engine cooler on the right. so somewhere around 300HP - if you're USING it for sustained periods - you'd expect to be at the oil's thermal limit without additional cooling.

it's a tradeoff - coatings will keep heat in, but if they shed oil and dirt, it may be a net gain. i have my own preferred coatings but i have no testing, so i'm not going to recommend anything... with an *assembled* case, i think a clear polyurethane spray is probably as good as anything. common automotive solvents will strip a lacquer in no time...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.