Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Question about building up the 2.0 ?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Beakster
I have My 914 chaton with a stock 2.0 .. It has 5 bolt hubs but I'm sure the Brakes are just Stock 914 .. I'm looking at building the T4 to either 2052 or 2270 so because of the extra HP and torque Will I have to Do any extra work to the car ( Brakes, Trans , Body stiffing , Etc ... ) to handle the extra Power ?? I know what extra stuff that has to be done to the car when installing a 6 .. But what I,m wondering if those same things need to be done when beefing up the T4 .. feedback is welcomed !! .. Thanks guys !!
mepstein
Horsepower has nothing to do with braking. Mass and velocity is what counts. If you are going faster, adding weight or both, you might need more braking but there is a lot you can do to stock brakes to get them in top condition.
Beakster
QUOTE(mepstein @ Aug 6 2020, 06:35 PM) *

Horsepower has nothing to do with braking. Mass and velocity is what counts. If you are going faster, adding weight or both, you might need more braking but there is a lot you can do to stock brakes to get them in top condition.

Thanks for he reply ..

I do know that most 6 cyls are about an extra 100 lbs or so heavier then the T4 .. Is that what you mean by Mass ..??
Coondog
popcorn[1].gif popcorn[1].gif popcorn[1].gif
Just waiting for the Dumb Ass comments from you know who.......
Nojoah
QUOTE(Coondog @ Aug 6 2020, 08:53 PM) *

popcorn[1].gif
saigon71
You'll be fine with well-sorted stock brakes for a street car.

You may want to consider chassis stiffening if you start to race or autocross the car.
mepstein
QUOTE(Beakster @ Aug 6 2020, 08:52 PM) *

QUOTE(mepstein @ Aug 6 2020, 06:35 PM) *

Thanks for he reply ..

I do know that most 6 cyls are about an extra 100 lbs or so heavier then the T4 .. Is that what you mean by Mass ..??

Yes. And I think a six is closer to 150-175 more.
There are a lot of ways to lighten up the car which will: increase acceleration, improve handling and shorten stopping distance. Just going to a lightweight battery and stainless steel exhaust will drop some lbs. use some top quality brake pads and bed them in properly. beerchug.gif
porschetub
QUOTE(Coondog @ Aug 7 2020, 12:53 PM) *

av-943.gif av-943.gif av-943.gif ,maybe you scared him off,and who really cares about it.
Beakster
QUOTE(porschetub @ Aug 6 2020, 09:47 PM) *

av-943.gif av-943.gif av-943.gif ,maybe you scared him off,and who really cares about it.

Who are you guys refuring to ?? confused24.gif
Beakster
I'm most likely going to stick with rebuilding the 2.0 .. then going the 6 route .. Thats why I was asking the question ..
thelogo
QUOTE(Beakster @ Aug 6 2020, 09:30 PM) *

QUOTE(porschetub @ Aug 6 2020, 09:47 PM) *

Who are you guys refuring to ?? confused24.gif

This guy poke.gif wub.gif .... https://youtu.be/M6RtVmLq2Z0

Its not pink tea and mollycuddles better stay out

( building 2.0 for power has its challenges $ its not cheap and use carbs is my recommendation )

But brakes should be pretty easy to spec out
Midway
I'd be interested to know if the extra torque from a 2270 would require the 911 CV's or similar as outlined in Eric's 5 lug conversion thread, for decent longevity. I'm thinking, probably yes if you're going to use it to its potential.
Bleyseng
QUOTE(Midway @ Aug 7 2020, 03:29 AM) *

I'd be interested to know if the extra torque from a 2270 would require the 911 CV's or similar as outlined in Eric's 5 lug conversion thread, for decent longevity. I'm thinking, probably yes if you're going to use it to its potential.

Only if you are doing first gear burnouts..... piratenanner.gif
thelogo
QUOTE(Bleyseng @ Aug 7 2020, 06:02 AM) *

QUOTE(Midway @ Aug 7 2020, 03:29 AM) *

Only if you are doing first gear burnouts..... piratenanner.gif

Rule no.1 never abuse 1st gear wub.gif .
( unless some clown in a smartcarr or fiat gets ideas)

Rule #2 in other gears always let the clutch completely out before the gas . dont rev match . saves the clutch life

At least thats me ( big/4 2336) stock cv torque comes on way to high about 2300 rpm to cause isues ?

Never been passed by a smartcar yet
Cairo94507
If you take your T4 out to 2270 or so consider adding an oil cooler to keep it cool. Heat is the death of air cooled engines. Personally, I would go with a 2056 with the stock FI and a nice cam to make it all work well. Then add a MB911 SS exhaust and call it done. That will give you a super reliable engine. beerchug.gif
mepstein
QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ Aug 7 2020, 12:21 PM) *

If you take your T4 out to 2270 or so consider adding an oil cooler to keep it cool. Heat is the death of air cooled engines. Personally, I would go with a 2056 with the stock FI and a nice cam to make it all work well. Then add a MB911 SS exhaust and call it done. That will give you a super reliable engine. beerchug.gif

I have 4 single and 4 dual out available next week. First come, first served. beerchug.gif

Beakster
I have a Pair of 40's Webers . .. That I will be using ..
rhodyguy
Are any of those mufflers going to be produced for 914-4 heat exchangers?
IronHillRestorations
QUOTE(Coondog @ Aug 6 2020, 04:53 PM) *

Hey! Every now and then I add something helpful lol-2.gif

If you are doing a full on case split rebuild and going with carbs; I’d increase the compression ratio, get a cam for carbs, and Hoffman heads.
Tdskip
@beakster - if you enter “914world.com 2056 build” (drop quotes when actually running the search) you will find pages and pages of discussion materials on this.

As said properly function stock brakes are up to the job, but good to know if your car has a 5 lug via a 911 suspension swap or if it has had its rotors converted from four to five.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.