Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: WTB: Oil Cooler Hardware
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Classified Forums > FS/WTB: 914 Parts
rbzymek
The oil temperature is on my 2056 is getting very close to the red zone with even moderate driving on an 80 degree day. I plan to use a Sandwich oil filter adapter type system.

The parts I prefer are:

Derale Atomic Cool DER-15950 Plate and Fan

along with

Derale Temperature controlled Sandwich Adapter DER-15702

What do you have in your spares pile?

Thanks in advance,
Ray
Dominic
QUOTE(rbzymek @ Aug 7 2020, 05:46 PM) *

The oil temperature is on my 2056 is getting very close to the red zone with even moderate driving on an 80 degree day. I plan to use a Sandwich oil filter adapter type system.

The parts I prefer are:

Derale Atomic Cool DER-15950 Plate and Fan

along with

Derale Temperature controlled Sandwich Adapter DER-15702

What do you have in your spares pile?

Thanks in advance,
Ray

Ray,
Before you spend any $$ on an external oil cooler, make sure the outlets on the bottom of the fan shroud are not blocked (there are little aluminum flappers in there that can be stuck in the closed position), this can cause high oil temps as you are not getting the proper amount of air to flow through the stock oil cooler. Also need to ensure that the cooling flaps that direct air to the oil cooler are operating properly.
I learned this many years ago with a 2.0L that we owned.
Hope this helps,

Dominic
barefoot
I'm with Dominic, moderate driving in 80 deg days should not put you in oil temperature purgatory , look at your thermostat operation first.

Barefoot
rbzymek
It is my assumption that the aluminum flap valves allow air into the SSHE’s. If the blower is active they keep the flow through the heating system and not into the cooling housing. I replaced the thermostat when I installed the 2056 long block. I will check to make sure it is working. Thanks for the suggestion.
nditiz1
Do you have a CHT installed? My 2.0 would do this and it lead to a poor leakdown causing these hot temps. Might want to ensure the health of the engine first.
Montreal914
I believe the OP has a 2056. This is not a stock 2l... Oil temperature could go up.
barefoot
QUOTE(Montreal914 @ Aug 8 2020, 01:48 PM) *

I believe the OP has a 2056. This is not a stock 2l... Oil temperature could go up.

A 2056 is a very small change from stock 2L.

My 2056 with carbs & cam with 8.5 to 1 CR oil temps never get above mid point on temp gauge with 95Deg outside temps.
ottox914
I got the parts for my oil cooler install from summit racing. Perhaps they have what you seek.
Al Meredith
I have a 2056 with carbs and a stock oil cooler in a 912E (heaver than a 914) and it Ok in Hot Atlanta
rbzymek
So I checked the thermostat and it appears to be working as designed.

Here it is cold.
Click to view attachment

Here it is hot.
'Click to view attachment

I also checked the timing and it was about 20 Deg BTDT instead of 28 Deg BTDC due to point wear. (Need to install the Petronix on the shelf.) Reset the timing ans saw no temp improvement.

I still cruise at 55 in 5th and see the following on the gauge:
Click to view attachment

If I get on it I can push it to the red zone on a 80 degree day. I still need to make sure I have the correct sender. I still have the original 1.8 engine so I can use the old sender if needed.

If the sender is correct I think I need an oil cooler so still looking for parts in case it goes that way.
rbzymek
QUOTE(rbzymek @ Aug 9 2020, 01:49 PM) *

So I checked the thermostat and it appears to be working as designed.

Here it is cold.
Click to view attachment

Here it is hot.
'Click to view attachment

I also checked the timing and it was about 20 Deg BTDT instead of 28 Deg BTDC due to point wear. (Need to install the Petronix on the shelf.) Reset the timing ans saw no temp improvement.

Click to view attachment

If I get on it I can push it to the red zone on a 80 degree day. I still need to make sure I have the correct sender. I still have the original 1.8 engine so I can use the old sender if needed.

If the sender is correct I think I need an oil cooler so still looking for parts in case it goes that way.

Still looking for oil cooler parts.......
barefoot
QUOTE(rbzymek @ Aug 9 2020, 03:49 PM) *

Click to view attachment

The 75-76 without center console used a temp gauge built into the combo gage. the red zone is way further right. That's my gauge and indicator never gets past mid point. Pretty sure I've got the correct sender.

Click to view attachment
rbzymek
Cancel WTB. I bought the parts from Summit.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.