Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Alternator Question....
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Joe Bob
If an alternator normally runs clock wise....would it work if it
spun the other way?

My GM alternator I am using on the Type IV is not putting out juice, but it is spinning the opposite way than the alternator on my GM truck does......before I call Summitt and bitch....would this make it not charge?
ChrisReale
I dont think it will work. In fact, I think it is bad for an alternator to spin the opposite way it is intended to.
Alfred
Well, it would still be alternating current. Don't GM alternators have fans on their pulleys? Rotating the opposite direction would not help alternator cooling. Here are some alternator basics.

Alfred

IPB Image
Aaron Cox
nice post alfred- but where did mr. jeffred schwenk go? lol2.gif
Alfred
QUOTE(acox914 @ Jul 19 2003, 07:45 PM)
nice post alfred- but where did mr. jeffred schwenk go? lol2.gif

Cox, if you're typical of your generation, I'm worried for the future. It'll be a half illiterate society in a few years.

Alfred
Aaron Cox
oh great- then the US willl be like a second canada then lol2.gif

eh?
seanery
Alfred, err Kreiger,

that's not very nice.
Alfred
QUOTE(acox914 @ Jul 19 2003, 07:59 PM)
oh great- then the US willl be like a second canada then lol2.gif

eh?

Perfect example of what I'm talkin' about.
Aaron Cox
its all fun and games-

i dont care if i get bagged on~ Honestly (sob) huh.gif jk
ChrisReale
I was told that when you spin your car, put your clutch in so you dont blow up your MPS (if you have FI) and so you dont fry your alternator.
Mueller
An alternator will produce voltage in either direction....
Joe Bob
So then the new alternator I bought is dead.....it only shows 12.5 volts while turning at tidle and 3,000 rpms.
Mueller
GM single wire? Is there a load while checking the voltage? Turn on your headlights and check the voltage.
Joe Bob
GM single...multi meter across the battery, 12.5 at ide AND 3,000 rpms.....meter at the alternator with accessories running, 12.5 volts. No charge.....\

http://web.media.mit.edu/~nathan/ne...alternator.html

BTW...kellzey posted this link.....seems to suggest that clockwise is the other way...... blink.gif
Alfred
Up here in Canada, we can bring an alternator in to most Canadian Tire stores and they'll test it for free. I think I heard that some of your Flaps (or similar) will do the same.

Alfred
Joe Bob
I already know it does not work, I just need to know if I fried by turning it the wrong way....

Unless if by testing it and then turning it clockwise suddenly makes it work....
Alfred
Do you have a multimeter? Test your diodes - it couldn't hurt.

Alfred

IPB Image

IPB Image
Joe Bob
This is a one wire alternator.....does it have to be grounded? I see a nut on the back opposite the power wire....nothing going to it.....
Joe Bob
Well, here's where I f-uped......it was tested at Manny, Moe and Rice. No output....I burned the brushes by turning it backwards.

I need to go an alternator shop, have the brushes replaced and converted to CCW like a boat. GM alternators turn CW, the cooler fan needs it that way the brushes are set uyp that way....live and learn.....rolleyes.gif
Alfred
Check out how Griznant did it in this thread.

Alfred
Joe Bob
Good idea....his also turns Clockwise. Mine is mounted assbackwards.
Alfred
I don't understand ... how can his turn CW and yours turns CCW?

Alfred

IPB Image
Joe Bob
Depends on how I was looking at the car.....

My alternator is being turned off the same crank on a REAR engined car, but the alternator is facing the same way.....but in the back......it's turned around 180 degrees .....and so am I.....

headbang.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.